Menu

Is your rising senior getting emails, etc. from colleges offering free apps?

NCMom

Is this typical?

These are not just the usual we-are-so-great-apply-here emails, but actual emails that purport to allow applying with waived application fees, etc.

Do some colleges just do this for everybody, kinda like the way U of Chicago sends everyone who ever, at any time in their lifetime, took the SAT or ACT, approximately 1 million pieces of correspondence through the various channels... :lol:

She got 2 today and probably is up to 15-20 total. Most are not colleges she is interested in, but a few garnered some interest.**

Just wondering. It's pleasing from a monetary point of view.

Georgia

**Notably the ones that purported to waive the essay requirement... :glare:

I think I might have heard a rumour that colleges send these to make themselves appear more selective? If their application is free and easy, more students will apply. The more students who apply, the more the college can turn down. The more they turn down, the more selective they appear. Or something like that.

My son received a few. He didn't receive all that many mailings, either, enough to fill the boot box he threw them into but no more, perhaps because he didn't fill out the lengthy SAT interest form. The waived fee offers either appeared to be from colleges to whom he sent SAT scores (in other words, showed some interest), or from colleges who were obviously on some sort of massive advertising campaign, colleges whose ads appeared everywhere, including the sides of buses lol. He got notices from some colleges saying that if he applied online, there would be no fee, but if he applied on paper, there would be a fee. Those felt more genuine, somehow.

It isn't a bad idea to hang onto them, just in case they turn out to be useful. My son found the colleges who sent emails with codes enabling him to use their own, short application useful. He filled them out online and then sent a packet with the extra material (like his transcript) via snail mail. Definately nicer than dealing with the common app.

It might be worth thinking about whether it is to your daughter's advantage to send more information (like an essay) or less information. In our case, more information was better. It also is worth checking to see if colleges want extras from homeschoolers even if they use the short application.

Nan

These "fast apps" are sometimes referred to in college admissions circles as "crap apps." They are a way for colleges to generate more applications, reject more applicants, and rise in the US News rankings.

That said, you may find a school that is a good fit for a reason other than the fact that they offered the free application. Also, it may be good to know that schools where the student has visited or otherwise expressed interest may also sometimes waive application fees as a gesture of good will.

My guy gets lots of them. So far there hasn't been a single school he's been interested in from them - but that's mainly because he wants to head south and most of the schools are typical for his SAT range locally.

They are common - esp from some schools.

I just had to google it...

http://www.thecollegesolution.com/dont-be-fooled-by-priority-applications/

Geez, sorta cheesy, imho.

Now I'm irritated and I think she will be, too. The only one on that sent her this that she truly became a bit more interested in was Colorado Mines, previously not considered due to their swim team, lol, and apparently they are a big offender.

Georgia

Dd received a bunch from schools she didn't find interesting.

However, after visiting one school for a special English/Writing day, she received a free application the next week. She did apply to that school and did receive their highest level merit scholarship :D

Agree - Mines is an excellent college. Because schools use free apps doesn't mean they are not bad colleges. I would just try to avoid reading too much into it either way. It doesn't mean your student will or won't be accepted. It doesn't mean it should or shouldn't be on their college list.

My son was grateful to receive a short free app from a techie college. He, too, was accepted with a quite a lot of money. When I think of some of the techie kids I know, their aversion to writing, and on top of that their absolute horror and disbelief that somebody actually requires them to write about THEMSELVES, of ALL the STUPID topics, I can see why, if techie colleges want to attract techie kids, they go fishing with a short, free. I'm sure they get lots of students that way that they wouldn't get any other way. They are specialized, so their applicant pool is smallish anyway and they don't need it to be made any smaller because of their applicants' disinclination to extend an unnecessarily uncomfortable (to their thinking) process. Plus, techie kids often don't need a long app. I suspect they are one of the easier catagories of students to judge. I would guess that techie colleges are aware that a personal essay is not going to reflect their candidates' abilities well. I think they care more about physics grades. The free part is probably attractive just because it doesn't require a parent to come and fill out information. Nice and efficient and independent. The short app won lots of bonus points in this family, certainly lol.

Nan

I asked ds about this, and he is not receiving these at all. He does receive e-mails but has not received any regarding short apps/free apps, etc.

I really do wonder how schools decide whom to target both with mailings and e-mails. I follow the Parents of the Class of 2014 on college confidential, and apparently some kiddos receive MUCH more mail than my son receives. I find it interesting. He is in the 99th percentile on his ACT score, is well above the cut-off for national merit for anywhere, etc. I truly believe that there is a lot of "targeting" done by schools based on zip codes. Most people here do NOT go out-of-state for school. We are probably considered a "poor" state, though are particular region is not by any means. We live in a university town. I don't know, but I do know parents on that thread who live in Virginia, Massachusetts, etc. have kids who receive far more mail. I'm not complaining - I am just curious as to how it all works.

I asked ds about this, and he is not receiving these at all. He does receive e-mails but has not received any regarding short apps/free apps, etc.

I really do wonder how schools decide whom to target both with mailings and e-mails. I follow the Parents of the Class of 2014 on college confidential, and apparently some kiddos receive MUCH more mail than my son receives. I find it interesting. He is in the 99th percentile on his ACT score, is well above the cut-off for national merit for anywhere, etc. I truly believe that there is a lot of "targeting" done by schools based on zip codes. Most people here do NOT go out-of-state for school. We are probably considered a "poor" state, though are particular region is not by any means. We live in a university town. I don't know, but I do know parents on that thread who live in Virginia, Massachusetts, etc. have kids who receive far more mail. I'm not complaining - I am just curious as to how it all works.

I think zip codes are part of it. Most (though not all) of the e-mails my guy receives are from schools within 3 - 4 hours of us. This includes NY, PA, MD, VA, DE, NJ, and WV - there are a LOT of schools in that region.

He had to e-mail the Florida schools he likes to get on their mailing lists... even though his SAT scores should have put him on. I don't think either get too many students from our area. When talking with my guy's GC yesterday (trying to decide if he should take his English class DE or not), he said we hadn't had anybody apply to the schools he likes before, so we'll need to check into credit transfer policies.

I'm secretly hoping that could translate into more geographical diversity aid for my guy.

I know someone who works for a college marketing company (yep, these exist). A lot of this email comes from opting in to offers on the SAT form, from applying to scholarships where marketing is offered, and from fitting certain profiles (if you fill the marketing forms out with their preferred applicant demographic of either likely attenders OR your rankings are so high they improve the college's stats.

I think zip codes are part of it. Most (though not all) of the e-mails my guy receives are from schools within 3 - 4 hours of us. This includes NY, PA, MD, VA, DE, NJ, and WV - there are a LOT of schools in that region.

He had to e-mail the Florida schools he likes to get on their mailing lists... even though his SAT scores should have put him on. I don't think either get too many students from our area. When talking with my guy's GC yesterday (trying to decide if he should take his English class DE or not), he said we hadn't had anybody apply to the schools he likes before, so we'll need to check into credit transfer policies.

I'm secretly hoping that could translate into more geographical diversity aid for my guy.

She gets them from all four corners of the country, so I'm thinking it's that we live in a really poor, rural zip code, and she's a minority female with a math score higher than her verbal score.

Also, I keep forgetting to ask you this, but I think our seniors might have something in common on their potential lists - U of Hawaii (I forget where, but I remember it's the same one, lol) . Was it you? Is he still considering it?

My son was grateful to receive a short free app from a techie college. He, too, was accepted with a quite a lot of money. When I think of some of the techie kids I know, their aversion to writing, and on top of that their absolute horror and disbelief that somebody actually requires them to write about THEMSELVES, of ALL the STUPID topics, I can see why, if techie colleges want to attract techie kids, they go fishing with a short, free. I'm sure they get lots of students that way that they wouldn't get any other way. They are specialized, so their applicant pool is smallish anyway and they don't need it to be made any smaller because of their applicants' disinclination to extend an unnecessarily uncomfortable (to their thinking) process. Plus, techie kids often don't need a long app. I suspect they are one of the easier catagories of students to judge. I would guess that techie colleges are aware that a personal essay is not going to reflect their candidates' abilities well. I think they care more about physics grades. The free part is probably attractive just because it doesn't require a parent to come and fill out information. Nice and efficient and independent. The short app won lots of bonus points in this family, certainly lol.

Nan

That's exactly her, lol. That personal essay is going to be the bane of our collective existence.

Mines isn't just a cr*p app--two of mine have done them and been accepted right away with some good money offered. Ds received his today. Actually, Navy girl's was a phone call. I came home from something and she said, "I've been accepted to Mines and they gave me a lot of money."

"I didn't know you were interested in Mines?"

"I'm not, but they called and offered me a short, free app, so I did it." :laugh:

Ds was excited to get his today, as Mines is on his short, short list.

I think she is going to do that one, too. I'm glad to know it is for real! It seems like a great school.

Georgia

She gets them from all four corners of the country, so I'm thinking it's that we live in a really poor, rural zip code, and she's a minority female with a math score higher than her verbal score.

Also, I keep forgetting to ask you this, but I think our seniors might have something in common on their potential lists - U of Hawaii (I forget where, but I remember it's the same one, lol) . Was it you? Is he still considering it?

Georgia

Middle son got them from all over too. He had super high scores and our zip code is rural. Maybe they know that the few high scorers from our area tend to go elsewhere. Youngest has good scores, but not the same super high level. Those types tend to stay more local...

Youngest was considering U Hawaii and I still encourage it, but I think he's set his mind on FL (Eckerd, Palm Beach Atlantic, or U Miami) right now. Since U Hawaii was his first love, it wouldn't surprise me to see him go there - if I can get him to apply. Both of my older two had their first loves, drifted away a bit, then ended up back at their first love. Time will tell if he completes the pattern or not. Finances will definitely be an issue.

Middle son got them from all over too. He had super high scores and our zip code is rural. Maybe they know that the few high scorers from our area tend to go elsewhere. Youngest has good scores, but not the same super high level. Those types tend to stay more local...

Youngest was considering U Hawaii and I still encourage it, but I think he's set his mind on FL (Eckerd, Palm Beach Atlantic, or U Miami) right now. Since U Hawaii was his first love, it wouldn't surprise me to see him go there - if I can get him to apply. Both of my older two had their first loves, drifted away a bit, then ended up back at their first love. Time will tell if he completes the pattern or not. Finances will definitely be an issue.

I hear you. Their aid numbers look very bad. Otoh, they may be really looking for geographical diversity and/or people in his major. My motto is just apply and see!

She is in love with their swim team and her times are good for it, plus they have the majors she wants and it's the farthest away she can get and still be in this country and therefore swim. lol She has several more prestigious (or whatever you want to call it) schools on her list, but this is the one that she looks at the most, except for her reach schools, both of which she loves. unfortunately said reach schools have such tiny acceptance rates that it is hard to imagine getting in and it is definitely not something you want to assume will definitely happen.

It's a crazy time...

Georgia

I asked my guy about college e-mails. He's been collecting them in a separate folder in his e-mail as he was curious as to how many he would get. So far the number exceeds 1100... though not all unique colleges.

He also did some extra searching via collegeboard's search to find a 4th college for his free score report from Friday's SAT. He found a potential 4th school (Florida IT) and then saw they'd already sent him 2 e-mails in May which he had never opened...

• 5 weeks later...

I just had to google it...

http://www.thecolleg...y-applications/

Geez, sorta cheesy, imho.

Now I'm irritated and I think she will be, too. The only one on that sent her this that she truly became a bit more interested in was Colorado Mines, previously not considered due to their swim team, lol, and apparently they are a big offender.

Georgia

For what it's worth an email like that is what prompted a friend of ours to send out his only college app. He had been doing dual enrollment at the cc for senior year and was doing great. He'd been planning to do two more years then transfer somewhere. Instead he is headed to one of the Engineering schools listed with a nice 5 year engineering degree with coop package that included merit aid.

So it might be that the schools want to just increase app numbers. But it might also be that something about the school means they aren't getting the type of apps they think they need. For example the college in question for our friend is in a city that's in decline.

Nan

Nan your description of how a techie feels about essays describes my eldest to a T. It took him hours to write a letter describing his goals. What a relief to think it's not just him.

The latest round of SAT mailings has begun. My guy got one yesterday from Claremont McKenna... a BIG irritation for me as he is nowhere near their mid 50% in scores except for his writing score (and then barely in the mid 50%, so very close to the lower 25%). I reminded him that they have to "recruit" 8 - 9 "rejection" apps for each "acceptance" app, but it's still an irritation that supposedly "good" colleges target so "off."

He also got one yesterday from Juniata. They're actually a non FL or HI college that he's going to consider. He likes everything about them EXCEPT that they aren't tropical. We'll see if he chooses to apply, and if so, how the finances compare.

Mailings can be effective... I just wish schools would target only students who stand a realistic chance to actually be accepted.

Dd2, who has great scores, is getting relatively little mail. (My other kids each had a grocery bag full by this point; she only has about 1/3 of a bag.) She has gotten a lot of emails from different colleges but few free app offers.

I am wondering if this is because she put music as her intended major. ???

Dd2, who has great scores, is getting relatively little mail. (My other kids each had a grocery bag full by this point; she only has about 1/3 of a bag.) She has gotten a lot of emails from different colleges but few free app offers.

Maybe. It would make sense. Not all schools offer music majors and those that do often don't care so much about testing scores. I would wonder if they'd get their "prime" lists from school music programs. I know at our school music and art teachers sometimes get letters asking for student recommendations (from the schools - for marketing - not LOR requests).

I'm not noticing a difference in the amount between middle and youngest (I honestly didn't pay attention for oldest), but both are heading toward "more normal" majors (that's in quotes because I just couldn't figure out how to word it better - both of my parents were music majors - I'm NOT slighting that major - just trying for a "meaning"). Anyway, the schools are different as middle had really high stats and got all the Top whatever schools. Youngest has lower scores (still above average, but a good notch lower) and is getting more regional schools where kids from our high school tend to go. Claremont is the first I feel he REALLY shouldn't have received from targeting. It's neither regional nor in or near his score range.

Hmm... I wonder if Claremont targeted due to our rural zip code (well out of state too) and his high GPA. Still, I would think the scores should be reasonable to send out mailers.

It could be; my youngest lists art as her choice and she gets almost nothin', lol. My middle always put STEM stuff and she is the one who gets buckets. Today she got an a email announcing that she will get a free, early app invite from Fordham (my dream school :drool5: ) soon. I doubt she will even apply. Sigh.

Georgia