Menu

Celebrating our 10th anniversary (kidless) at Disney World- where to start?

Sharon37127

Not a clue where to start?!?! I have very limited experience with Disney World. We are currently Florida residents and live within a 2 hour driving distance. I'm thinking around 4/5 days. Weekends and/or weekdays are optional and we don't have a designated time, simply around August, September as our anniversary is 9/27.

Where do I even start? There are about a gazillion places to stay (in the park). The website to plan your vacation made my head spin with all the options. We don't necessarily have a particular budget in mind, but I have to feel like I'm getting a good deal- discounts, extras... And then there are all the blogs and places to get the Disney scoop- omg. I feel like I need to take a class or something just to get in the park (or get ripped off).

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Congratulations on your anniversary! I have NO IDEA where to start, but I'd sure love a getaway with only my DH.

We stayed at the Polynesian several years ago and it was beautiful. I don't think any of the rest of my experience will help you since I was focused on the kids at the time. Have fun though!

The DisBoards Forum is very helpful!

DH went to DIsneyworld for our honeymoon 7 years ago. On our first day there we got to the Magic Kingdom before they opened and were able to watch the opening ceremony there, which was lots of fun. We were also selected to be the first to ride our favorite ride (Buzz Lightyear).

Since's it's just going to be you adults, I'd take some time to plan a fairly rigorous touring plan for you to follow for a day or two (DisBoards will be able to help you with that). You won't worry about having kids to schedule around! Then leave yourselves a couple days to go back and do your favorite things again.

Have fun planning and more fun on your trip!

Well, in choosing an on-property hotel I would consider are you mainly wanting to spend time in the parks? Or do you also want to enjoy some nighttime entertainment outside the parks? Although we always take our kids, we enjoy staying at the Boardwalk or Yacht and Beach Club for their close proximity to Epcot, which is a fun place for adults in the evening. Walking through shops and enjoying the atmosphere in the World Showcase is fun for dh and I. The Boardwalk area also has evening entertainment like magicians, jugglers, etc. and a dueling piano bar and ESPN Club. The Swan and Dolphin are both options near the Boardwalk area, too, but they are not Disney owned, so make sure you are aware of which perks they offer and which they don't. We have never stayed there with our kids, but dh recently did when there alone for a conference. He says they don't have the "Disney" feel of the other hotels, but they are very nice.

If you are mostly interested in spending as much time as possible in the parks then you might consider a resort near your favorite park. Or, save money by staying at a moderate or value resort if you aren't going to spend much time there.

I would avoid the value resorts for an anniversary trip. But definitely stay on site! I believe Disney has free dining in September so that will be nice for you! There are travel agents specializing in Disney trips - no cost to you - but would probably be very helpful in your accommodations and meal reservations. Since you aren't bringing any kids - I wouldn't worry about planning out an itinerary (other than dining reservations) - just pick a park and have fun! (But I grew up going to DW, before the culture of planning every minute of a Disney vacation). The Epcot Food and Wine Festival starts Sept. 27 if you want to fit that in. It's lots of fun!

We did Disney for our honeymoon and 3 anniversaries before we had kids. We plan to do it again without the kids! If your budget allows it, stay at the Grand Floridian or Beach and Yacht Club. I love those resorts! If you're looking for something slightly lower in price, try the Caribbean Beach Resort. We stayed at the CBR for our honeymoon and have stayed there since (with kids) and it is one of our favorite resorts. Each area is named after an island in the Caribbean and they all have their own pools and white sand beach with double hammocks, and there is a HUGE pool area at the main part of the resort, with a bar and hot tubs.

While you're there, make sure you go to Pleasure Island! There is a great comedy club and a murder mystery club that we really enjoyed. I'm not a dance club kind of person any more, but there are several of those if you're into it. At the parks, we go on every ride, even the ones like Peter Pan, the Carrousel and Small World, just because we can. EPCOT is fun without kids too, because you can relax and take it slow.

Have a great trip!

If I were you, my itinerary would look like this:

Hotel: Port Orleans French Quarter. It's one of the smallest resorts, is a moderate, and is right down the river from DTD/whatever they turn it into (Disney Village I think?). You can take a boat and enjoy a nice dinner, or bus over to one of the other resorts. They even have a website with tons of pics (and 360 ones, too) : http://portorleans.org/ If you want to spend more, the Wilderness Lodge is amazing, too. It's quiet, but only a boatride away from the Magic Kingdom.

Time: End of September. It's your anniversary, they have the Food And Wine festival going on at Epcot, and it's still in the value season, I think. If you get a reservation now you may even qualify for the free dining promo going on.

Special things to do:

Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party - enjoy the fireworks above the crowd

Chef's Table dinner at Victoria and Alberts. This is pricy (around $200) and long. But you get a fully customized dinner with your own servers in an intimate setting.

Tour the Magic Kingdom or Epcot. Take one of the backstage tours (Key To The World or something similar)

You could also set up a special tour/event through http://giftsofalifetime.com/ They customize a special thing just for you and your dh, be it a scavenger hunt or whatnot (every one is different).

Photopass - so you don't have to worry about getting someone to take all your pics.

Not for anything, but how do your kids feel about you and your dh going to Disney World without them?

Well, I'm sure they would be livid, but they don't know (yet). We have a 5, 7, 8, and 12 yo. I'm thinking we might have a nice long talk with the 12 yo and not tell the others. With out family dynamics, I think he will understand. My husband and I go on a cruise every other year or so, so us disappearing for 5 days wount bother them.

I am actually going to use this as a starting point for planning a big family vacation in a few years. I have actually been quite anti- Disney (going to the parks with small kids) for a while, but now that they are getting bigger- I see it wouldn't be as big of a deal and they might actually remember it.

My sister and I just returned from a "just girls" trip to Disney. It was a blast!

We stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I would highly recommend it. It is a beautiful hotel. Definitely get a room with a savannah view. It was so much fun to wake up and see giraffes and zebras every morning.

We did one day for the Magic Kingdom, one day for Epcot, one day for Animal Kingdom, and one day at Downtown Disney. Downtown Disney is nice because it is all shops with fun/eclectic stuff and it is a nice break from waiting in line all day for rides!

We also did one day at Universal for Harry Potter. The ride was amazing.

That's going to be a lot of fun! We are also FL residents and just got back from Disney last week. Before we became FL residents we stayed at the Polynesian which I love, but this time we stayed at the Dolphin. I must say I really like the Dolphin. It's not a Disney hotel but it's considered a deluxe hotel and it's still on Disney property. FL residents also get a special rate, which is nice. I was told the Swan is a little more quiet than the Dolphin. It may be a great place for a anniversary.

You can take a nice stroll on the Boardwalk, take the ferryboat or walk to Epcot/MGM Studios. It's really in a great location!

The Swan and Dolphin also has a few resturants that are quite delicious. I would eat dinner at the Blue Zoo, II Mulino, or Shula's. You also have the Flying Fish at the Boardwalk. If you go to Animal Kingdom catch the bus to the Animal Kingdom Lodge and have lunch or dinner at Sanaa. There's so much to see and do at Disney. Definitely check into a few shows.