Menu

Transitioning to Homeschool from Montessori: Choice of Math Curriculum

halibecs

There seem to be so many great math programs out there...I am a little overwhelmed. My boys have had 4 and 3 years of Montessori, but for 1st grade and 3rd grade we are going to homeschool. Has anyone made the Montessori-home transition at this age (6 and 8)? The older boys is currently doing multiple digit number multiplication with the checkerboard and the kindergartner is doing division and multiplication WITH the support of the materials (division board etc.). I am not confident in either's deep understanding or ability to do this without the support of the materials, so I am planning on backing up to make sure we're solid on place value, addition, etc.

I am leaning towards using Singapore with additional manipulative support and I wasn't sure what to add in. The boys been using the colored Montessori bead-based system and math materials at school and I don't think C-rods or math u see blocks colors align with Montessori's system (and maybe that doesn't matter...) Also I've read a lot of the threads of abacus versus c-rods and now feel more confused than when I started researching. Any suggestions?

Should I mix Singapore with another curriculum or perhaps just support Singapore with c-rods and base 10 blocks?

I really appreciate your help because I had no idea the number of choices out there.

Thanks!

All of my kids attended a Montessori school - my oldest until 6th grade, and my youngest just for preschool. For my youngest,once we began homeschooling, I used the Singapore elementary series, along with the Intensive Practice and Challenging Word Problem workbooks. I used the Stamp Game and the Fraction Pies (can't remember the official name) to supplement Singapore.

Have you looked at Rightstart Math? The author is a former Montessori teacher, so there are many elements of Montessori within the curriculum. I sell the curriculum at our local conference and we often have kids jump in from having attended a Montessori school and it's a smooth transition as the manipulatives are familiar to the kids and the focus on 5s and 10s is similar. We also supplement with Math Mammoth and enjoy that as well.

• Like 2

A lot of people use Miquon as a supplement to their math program (same as quite a number just use the Math Card Games from Rightstart).

I was coming in to suggest Rightstart as well, but I'm a little bias ;)

One thing I would suggest is if you went with Rightstart, to wait a bit before adding Miquon. The author of Rightstart suggests not using something like coloured rods as a supplement for the confusion factor. Since I already have Miquon (plus nearly every other math available pmsl) I'm just going to use it a little bit further down the road than you normally would. It adds a change of angle, so all I am waiting on is to get past the basics in RS, so as not to cause this confusion.

Challenging Word Problems from Singapore is something people from many different math programs add in. So even if you don't use a particular program, there is usually always ways to add in the flavour of another curricula.

I haven't really heard of people combining MM & Miquon, but I think thats because the MM people tend to stay quiet about what they are using, lol. My daughter does Math Mammoth, Singapore and MEP for fun, I don't really have anything to do with those programs anymore, she just asks me ocassionally what to do on a particular page if she can't figure it out. MEP is downloadable/printable and free. CSMP is the same (its more living/story math, combined with this cool little paper calculator. My daughter doesn't like story math and the site confused me, otherwise I would of added it, if only as another thing for her to do in her spare time (on this endeavour, a proclick has been super helpful. I just keep making up books for her, and leaving them in her schoolbox).

She likes MEP, but prefers when I do the lesson with her, so it doesn't get done much. Math mammoth she loves (I think we have the whole site except the light green worksheets & the Make-It-Real math) so she always has 2 books of varying stuff printed out (usually her grade, plus 1-2 topic/others). Singapore I had problems with her relying on finger counting and when adding starting from the very beginning, so we dropped that. I left the workbook she was on at the time in her box, and she does a page of it every now and again. Miquon, I'm sure they would love, but because it clashes with RS, I've had to just leave it alone for the moment. Miquon I think is a program with a bit of a learning curve, its not simple open and go (although will pretty much be once you have finally started). You have to read through the first grade diary & the other one (brains fuzzy on titles) then use the annotations? the big book to help you with the sheets.

Rightstart Math as the person above said, is from an ex-Montessori lady. So has a touch of Montessori flavour, as well as a lot of research having gone into the program. It relies slightly on sight grouping. I think its a brilliant program. Its very much open and go, is partially scripted, and lots of fun.

If you are wanting to stay with Montessori Math, perhaps look into something like Shiller Math? I have the digital versions of both kits I got awhile ago (one of those weird purchases I make every now and again) it really confused me and I couldn't make heads or tails of it, but I have heard great things about it, and perhaps coming from a Montessori background yourself, you might understand it a lot better than I did (I think I thought it was something a lot different than what it was, so its my fault, not the product).

If you are liking the idea of Singapore Math, and perhaps want to have a read into it (a lot of people would suggest reading this book no matter what) There is Liping Ma's Knowing & Teaching Elementary Mathematics.

Another idea if your children like story format, is Waldorf Math, Life of Fred, or Queen Homeschool Math. These all use stories as their basis for teaching math. A couple of waldorf math places - Christopherus, Hunter (forum poster) has a link to two South African Waldorf math places with downloadable PDFs I think, Journey through Waldorf Math (I think thats what the next one is called), Oak Meadow (Waldorf inspired, but the levels I looked at used Dorothy Harrer as basis for Math, which counts it as close to waldorf math in my mind), and One using the idea of Waldorf as well as the United Nations school (I think of it as Scientific Waldorf) is Enki Education.

Theres also books that more serve as guides like Maximum Math (kathryn Stout), Kitchen Table Math, Math on the Level, One-to-One Homeschooling (covers nearly everything, including math, and has a fantastic little handwriting section).

Then you have online/screen Math, like Math Rider (horse-based for drills), Time4learning, Math-U-See (students aren't supposed to watch the DVD, but most parents do that anyway), Mathtacular, Mathletics, Khan Academy

And finally very textbook based like Saxon, BJU, Abeka, CLP, Ace Paces, etc

HTH xxx

I would just continue with the Montessori materials if possible. Montessori math is amazing and it will stick with them and serve them very well. At those ages it is supposed to be concrete and later it transitions (as they develop cognitively) to the abstract. Montessori is all about the hand teaching the mind. Anyway it is fantastic! I used to teach upper elementary Montessori (9-12 year olds) and I realized I never really understood the concepts behind why we did what we did in math until I went through my Montessori training. There are lots of homeschool blogs that you could peek at and even places where you can by the teaching albums (manuals.)

If you couldn't do that then I would take a look at Rightstart but it is very, very loosely Montessori based. They don't use racks and tubes or the checkboards which is a shame as they are terrific materials! There really isn't anything that matches up with Montessori but you can do it at home.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

We went from montessori to singapore and it's worked well. I just bought the basic square manipulatives (so unit squares, 10 rods, 100s that are flat and square and 1000s that are the larger square). They aren't the montessori beads, but my ds could easily tell they were the same numerically. I do relate some lessons back to montessori concepts to show him how it works, but he really has had no issues.

We went from Montessori to Math Mammoth with DD9 for 3rd grade, and I plan to use it with DS next year for 2nd. I wasn't sure what level to buy because of the Montessori format, an MM enables you to purchase all of the levels inexpensively. (There should be a group buy this summer through HSBC.) I am supplementing with Beast Academy and plan to check out the Challenging Word Problems from Singapore. There was a bit of a struggle in the beginning when DD9 realized that the actual answers do matter. She would get lost in the checkerboards and try to do these huge, never ending problems... I love primary and early elementary Montessori math, but not necessarily the execution of it at their school.

Singapore is LOADED with manipulatives-- there is really no supplementation to it necessary. To quote the Facebook meme . . .if you aren't introducing the concepts with concrete manipulatives before breaking out the textbooks, "You're doing it wrong."

Thank you all for your responses. The paradox of choice...I am now thinking I should do either Singapore or Math Mammoth AND Miquon (with some Montessori manipulatives). Already started Life of Fred for summertime fun and it's all they want for bedtime books.

The reason I am leaning toward Math Mammoth is that I like the idea of having it all in one book/available digitally.

Do any Singapore fans have a compelling reason I should go Singapore instead of Math Mammoth? I definitely came to homeschooling assuming I'd do Singapore and then I've found all these other great programs, too.

Three advantages of Math Mammoth: 1) Buy it once digitally, use it for both of your kids with the publisher's blessing. 2) It periodically goes on seriously discounted sales from the publisher, so you can get levels 1-6 all at once pretty cheap. 3) The author is super nice and very dedicated to teaching math, so if you have a question or problem, help is just some email away. Maria really is great. In general, Math Mammoth is a very well-written program that will explain things logically and clearly and provide plenty of practice. It is quite solid. Do NOT feel obligated to make your kids do every last problem. If skipping problems bothers you, for the sake of your children, please do not choose MM. It has enough problems that you can pick and choose.

Singapore-- what can I say about Singapore? It is a spectacular program. If you tend to "get" math yourself, you can really soar with it. If you're okay with math, or think of math in terms of how you were taught it, you can still do well, but PLEASE buy either the Home Instructor's Guides, or get the college textbook on how to teach math, also sold on the Singapore website, so that you understand how to teach it the "Singapore Way." Otherwise you will miss some of the magic of the program. Singapore is manipulative-rich, when taught correctly. It is introduced in the concrete first, then pictorally, and then finally in the abstract (mathematical notation). Kids taught in this manner will really get math and numerical literacy. The mental math techniques are a particular strong suit, as is the emphasis on algebraic thinking and geometry relatively early on. Do not feel as if you need every possible workbook they offer. The text and workbook are fine. If more challenge is needed, I recommend the IP Book. If more word problems are needed, you can try the extra word problems book. If you like the mental math and want more there, try the math sprints. I think you'd be mad to put them all in; it would be overkill. Start with just the text and workbook (and appropriate teaching guide) and build from there depending upon how your child is responding, if Singapore is where you decide to go.

We love Life of Fred, too :)

Singapore is a common move from Montessori. If that's what you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. If you want to stick with Montessori, there are many teaching helps with that. It is very possible that your kids haven't made the connection between the manipulatives and the sumbols (numbers.) I would strongly suggest you choose something to help them bridge that gap. Bring all that Montessori learning together for them. It's very likely they have more understanding about what's going on than either you or they realize. (I didn't realize how much I really did learn as a Montessori student until I started teaching my own kids math with the manipulatives.)In case you didn't already know, Mortensen trained with Maria and Mario Montessori in Italy, he then developed his own math program. Steve Demme was trained by Mortensen. So Math U See is just a few steps removed from Montessori (teaching philosophy is completely different) Mortensen is a good bridge though. The color scheme is actually very close to Montessori (depending on whether your kids' schools were AMI or AMS) The colors for the hierarchy material are incorporated with the colors for the colored bead material. So, ones are green, tens blue, hundres red, thousands green, and so on. The color coding for individual colors only deviates to accommodate this. My kids had no trouble making the transition. I don't teach the checkerboard anymore because I feel that Mortensen simplifies the process so much more. Your kids may really appreciate the difference.

My kids use an abacus modified to be just like the Montessori bead frame. You can take any wooden bead abacus, like Melissa & Doug. The bars can be taken out where needed to make the top row green, the second row blue, the third row red. Make sure there are exactly 10 beads per row. Then remove one bar of beads entirely. Start over with red, blue, and green, remove bar. I used colored sharpies to color beads after I ran out of the right colors. I have done this with one that goes to millions and another that goes to ten-millions.

The entire fraction material is available as a download printable (at least it was.) If you're interested I can look it up for you. The Multiplication and division charts are also. I still prefer Montessori fractions, we use some of the Multiplication charts and bead boards. As an adult, I'm really impressed to see how all of the Montessori materials fit together in the big picture, something I never fully realized before (I was Montessori through the 2nd grade.) I realize that it did change my interpretation of how math works. When I learned what the trinomial and binomial squares represented I was amazed. Same with the table of Pythagoras. I'm not sure they actually helped me much in algebra at all though because that gap was never bridged. When I started looking at Mortensen math and how algebra problems are "drawn", it was automatic for me.

I would imagine you find that your boys are quite solid on place value, especially if you don't change it up enough right off the bat that they don't keep the connections. Montessori math tends to be extremely solid on place value. Where they may be not so strong on is understanding the connection between what they are doing with the manipulatives and the numbers written on paper, especially if they have been using number tiles with the bead boards and not working their problems out on paper at the same time. So, basically, they have a different way of working the algorithm. If they can work the problem out with visual representation, they know it, even if they can't work it out on paper. Montessori said to work from the concrete to the abstract. Concrete is manipulatives, abstract is numbers written on paper.

Both an abacus and the blocks (or beads) are good, valuable tools. There are situations where one is a better tool to use than the other. For instance, learning basic X tables- blocks help. For multiplying large numbers after X tables are learned, the abacus is a better tool. It is good to be able to do it either way. It's important for the kids to understand the connections between the two tools. If they are familiar with the bead material and with the bead frame, they should have that connection solid. There's no guarantee of that though.

I have no experience with MM, but with Sinagapore the Home Instructors Guide makes it easy to teach math. It is all laid out. I'm not "mathy", but it's not hard. And my mental math has improved remarkably since I started teaching it to ds!

The way the HIG lays out the lessons is you do a bit of teaching, kid does the practice problems, repeat. I modify it (now that my son is older) so that I do all the teaching for the week and give him a list of what assignments (from the textbook and workbook) that he needs to do by the end of the week. If he's struggling, I will revisit the teaching for reinforcement. If I'm teaching it and he "gets" it because of previous exposure, I will not be as thorough as it is laid out since I don't need to be. It's totally modifyable to make it work for you, but if you want to just follow it as written with the HIG it's very simple to do.

Thanks so much for the ideas for integrating Montessori materials. The good news is that it seems like a lot of families like both Singapore and MM. But, just when I thought I had it narrowed down to one of those plus Miquon, 126bugeyes shared a new idea...Mortensen Math. Any one use Mortensen alone or with Singapore/MM?

We're using it combined with Life Of Fred. It isn't as user friendly as Math U See, which is why they have been more successful. There is new work being done on that currently though. It could be a perfect supplement for previous Montessorians.

Miquon is a development out of Montessori and Mortensen also. If I were you, I would choose either Miquon, Mortensen, or Math U See, and use that combined with Singapore or Mammoth Math. If your 3rd grader is working with the checkerboard material, he may have a lot of Miquon under his belt already. Unfortunately, Miquon ends after third grade. So, that's one thing to consider also. If you use Miquon, I would suggest drawing segments on the blocks- at least on one side. Montessori kids are used to counting individual beads I don't think you could go wrong with either. They're all 3 similar, and would let your kids take what they learned in Montessori and run with it.

Thanks again everyone. We've decided to start off with Singapore because I think my kids will react better to color and more white space. Also we are going to experiment with both Mortensen and Miquon to see what seems to click with my kids.

I plan to purchase

1. Singapore 1A and 2A (I am going to make my rising third grader back up to 2A to make sure he gets the SIngapore foundation. Currently the older child places into 2B, but I thought I'd be conservative because the scope and sequence at Montessori was so different. I'm going to start rising 1st grader at 1A. I thought I should just buy one semester to see if it's a fit.)

2. HIGs for both levels

3. Challenging Word Problems for level 2

4. A few Miquon Lab Sheet PDFs from CurrClick to see what we think

5. Cuisinaire rods WITHOUT notches

6. Some Mortensen workbooks (hoping for PDFs soon?)

7. Base 10 blocks, Mortensen blocks OR MUS blocks (debating cost and also ability to turn MUS blocks over to show negative numbers).

8 Life of Fred (already started 1st book and the kids really like it)

Note: The debate I've read on this forum for unnotched rods versus notched rods/abacus was very compelling; however, I didn't know what to conclude so I'm just going to experiment with both and see if the kids have a strong natural inclination.

Thanks again for all of the help!

My son went to Montessori for a couple of elementary years (1st, 2nd). During that time he learned to use many of the manipulatives the school had available, and it helped in its own way. However I had to supplement with Singapore because the school wasn't moving fast enough, and he got bored (yes that sounds like an oxymoron given he was at Montessori, but that was the reality for us).

Once I started him full time on Singapore math, I began to realize that, for him at least, which manipulative I used was not as important as the fact that there was one. In other words, it was important to introduce a concept with a manipulative, but the structure and meaning of the manipulative was not.

Basically I learned the hard way not to miss the forest for the trees - if my kid wanted to call a rock a frog, it was fine so long as 3 frogs times 3 frogs was still 9 frogs. In fact, later in the curriculum I found that using random objects as manipulatives was a good way to test conceptual understanding. For example, rather than using 1 marble for 1's place, 10 marbles for 10's place, use red Lego for 1s, blue Lego for 10s. Then, if he asked for 2 blue and gave me 20 red, I knew he understood the Why of It.

• Like 1

I don't think I'd count on Mortensen PDF's being available all that soon, however, I love the videos for showing how to do things. (We use our own worksheets with the manipulatives) Math U See blocks are almost exactly the same, cheaper, and more available. Love the negative number and algebraic uses also. And Cuisenaire rods are certainly cheap enough that you aren't going to break the bank by giving a few things a try. I'd just be careful not to try to pile too much stuff on and make yourself nuts.

• 2 years later...
Guest montessoriplusclassical

I don't think I'd count on Mortensen PDF's being available all that soon, however, I love the videos for showing how to do things. (We use our own worksheets with the manipulatives) Math U See blocks are almost exactly the same, cheaper, and more available. Love the negative number and algebraic uses also. And Cuisenaire rods are certainly cheap enough that you aren't going to break the bank by giving a few things a try. I'd just be careful not to try to pile too much stuff on and make yourself nuts.

I know this post is old, but I would love to talk more with 126bugeyes or anyone else who has experience with both Montessori and Mortensen.  I am a former Montessorian (as a child myself through 3rd grade and then as an AMI elementary teacher for 6 years).  We couldn't afford it for our own children, so they attended gifted public for years.  Now we are making the change to homeschooling (so excited!)  I cannot wait to get my hands on them in math- to undo much of the "procedural" learning they've been getting at school and to let them discover the joy of hands-on math, discovering patterns, etc.  I have purchased some of the Montessori materials (test tubes, golden beads, stamp games), but realized quickly that I will not be able to afford them all. Then I discovered Mortensen.  I LOVE the way the blocks replace the bead bars and can do so many things all the way up through high school math!  However, I am stuck trying to decide on a "curriculum" to use alongside the materials for independent practice.  I am leaning toward using Mammoth along with the Mortensen blocks, the Mortensen fractions, and some of the Montessori materials (bead frame, etc.)  I will probably have my children create their own sketchbooks for learning the "grammar" of geometry, using follow-up work from Mammoth.   I would like to use one other thing for real-world application (Singapore Challenging Word Problems or Primary Grade Challenge Math or even giftedandtalented.com )?

I know it sounds like a lot, but I am realizing that just as many homeschoolers use multiple curriculums in language (spelling, grammar, literature, etc.), it is equally important that we see the different strands of math (operations, fractions, problem solving, geometry, facts) and find the best way to delve into each of these.... which isn't likely to come neatly in one book or kit.

I would love to hear feedback, suggestions, experience on any of these ideas! Thank you!

Guest montessoriplusclassical

Oh - and I forgot measurement.  So the math strands (according to my Montessori training) are facts, operations, fractions (including decimals and percents), measurement (including time and money), and problem solving.  As a Montessori elementary teacher, we used to give the children a work plan on Monday, telling them how many times (minimum) they needed to do each of these strand throughout the week.  They would go sequentially through a set of task cards (which sat in orderly containers on top of the shelves) in each of the strands.  That is the technique I would like to use at home - I just need to figure out what type of worksheets or workbooks I could use that would serve the same purpose as the task cards.  That's where I am hoping Math Mammoth will help me.  Any experience/thoughts/advice?

• 9 months later...

I know this post is old, but I would love to talk more with 126bugeyes or anyone else who has experience with both Montessori and Mortensen.  I am a former Montessorian (as a child myself through 3rd grade and then as an AMI elementary teacher for 6 years).  We couldn't afford it for our own children, so they attended gifted public for years.  Now we are making the change to homeschooling (so excited!)  I cannot wait to get my hands on them in math- to undo much of the "procedural" learning they've been getting at school and to let them discover the joy of hands-on math, discovering patterns, etc.  I have purchased some of the Montessori materials (test tubes, golden beads, stamp games), but realized quickly that I will not be able to afford them all. Then I discovered Mortensen.  I LOVE the way the blocks replace the bead bars and can do so many things all the way up through high school math!  However, I am stuck trying to decide on a "curriculum" to use alongside the materials for independent practice.  I am leaning toward using Mammoth along with the Mortensen blocks, the Mortensen fractions, and some of the Montessori materials (bead frame, etc.)  I will probably have my children create their own sketchbooks for learning the "grammar" of geometry, using follow-up work from Mammoth.   I would like to use one other thing for real-world application (Singapore Challenging Word Problems or Primary Grade Challenge Math or even giftedandtalented.com )?

I know it sounds like a lot, but I am realizing that just as many homeschoolers use multiple curriculums in language (spelling, grammar, literature, etc.), it is equally important that we see the different strands of math (operations, fractions, problem solving, geometry, facts) and find the best way to delve into each of these.... which isn't likely to come neatly in one book or kit.

I would love to hear feedback, suggestions, experience on any of these ideas! Thank you!

How did this end up working out for you? I was thinking about combining MM and Mortensen as well. Which Montessori materials did you end up using? I'm looking for a way to use Mortensen/Montessori but keep it fairly inexpensive and simple. We've got a big family and finding places to store things can be an issue.

Just here to put a plug in for Singapore Math Intensive Practice -- I used this exclusively for my very mathy kid, but it is great as an extension if you decide you don't like CWP.  The benefit for it is it has word problems but it also has non- word problems.  Lots of variety.  I just loved Singapore (even though my other kid is using BA -- which wasn't out at the time for my ds).  The bar model method has proved so helpful to understand algebraic thinking without introducing variables.