Menu

Do you have my books for next year, Mom? I want to get started...

What??? Who IS this kid??

Fairly normal boy-child here. "I hate school, Mom. When do I get to play?" Standard wailing and gnashing of teeth when asked to do something difficult... He tests out in science and history, but otherwise he's just an average student. So this question completely threw me!

"Do you have my books for next year, Mom? I can do stuff like Math this summer when I'm bored and then I'd be ahead..."

We're planning on homeschooling through 8th grade, and probably 9th, but then re-enrolling in school to finish out high school (since a number of distance-learning college classes are available, as well as the typical high school offerings and of course, BAND).

So apparently he's been pondering where he wants to be when he goes back to school. And he wants to be "ahead."

What are some thoughts on this? I can't decide if I should actively encourage him or just let him do as he wishes and drop the books in front of him, (or maybe if I should discourage it).

I'd drop the books in front of him and let him go. Let him be the boss of when and how much he wants to complete. It will make him feel very much in charge and not like he's missing out on anything because "mean old mom" is making him do school work in the summer. :)

I'd give him the books. He is becoming a self-starter and I wouldn't dream of extinguishing that!

My DS10 has requested Greek and Latin curricula and wants to get cracking right away. Sure, buddy. Okie-doke! He's starting to really catch the bug. Last night, my boys were playing at the table. DS7 pushed some mail out of the way to play with his Legos, uncovering my Critical Thinking and Classical Academic Press catalogs. DS10 snatched them up immediately and said, "Oh, YAY! You know, I used to think these catalogs were really boring, but they have some awesome stuff in them!" Then he perused them, dog-earing and highlighting like it was Christmas. :lol: I super love this new stage.

Ha! Some kids really enjoy the feeling of being ahead. Sometimes it's a competitive thing and sometimes it's just that they really hate feeling any pressure, even if it's only in their head.

Sure, I'd let him at it.

Huh. I'm not the OP, but that is actually very helpful. I've often wondered why my "loathes everything school-related" child is also my "stays up late to finish tomorrow's work early" child. I do think it is (self) pressure-related.

I wonder if that's it. Mine likes to stay up late to get a jump on tomorrow, too.

And, because he has ADD, he spends so very much time behind on things... Maybe this is a control issue for him.

To be sure, I wasn't really planning on saying no. I just can't decide if I should actively encourage this or just say, "OK." And hand him his books.

I'm thinking math should be done somewhat regularly to retain what you are learning. We try to do math and a little other stuff when we are home in the summer without plans. Somewhere in August it stops for a few weeks. Maybe he would like to try something like that.