Menu

Which Scholastic E-books Have You Gotten the Most Use Out Of?

I got several of those "50 Fill it in Math Word Problems" books (okay, maybe I bought almost all of them). :lol:

I might resemble this.

We did a couple stories yesterday, and my kids loved them. It's a bit time consuming to fill in the "mad lib" part to get to 1 single math problem at the end, but my kids LOVE mad libs, so this is kind of a fun activity to do over lunch or something like that and get the bonus of reviewing both parts of speech and math.

I actually printed them and hand each kid a different one!

Although, they didn't hear the part of "ask your sister" and did them themselves... and being the dorks(?) that they are, they were still laughing at them! LOL!!

I need to print some more for them this week.

My kids really like the fun-flap math books (multiplication)...which basically make cootie catchers.

Also....the "Solve the code" math books and the cursive books which are jokes and quotes.

We have those cursive books and really like them. We also have another beginning cursive book from there (Cursive Writing Made Easy and Fun) that I really like as well.

And, their site is down. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

In case anyone needs some ideas of books to get I spent some time organizing my stash (mostly to keep me from buying the same book twice!). It bugs me that you can't see the suggested grade levels unless you are on Scholastic's site so I put those in too. I do have to say I think they are a little low, but I still put in what they suggested. And now I MUST stay away from their site!

General

*January Monthly Idea Book (preK-3)

*February Monthly Idea Book (preK-3)

*March Monthly Idea Book (preK-3)

*April Monthly Idea Book (preK-3)

*May Monthly Idea Book (preK-3)

*June Monthly Idea Book (preK-3)

*July/August Monthly Idea Book (preK-3)

*September Monthly Idea Book (preK-3)

*October Monthly Idea Book (preK-3)

*November Monthly Idea Book (preK-3)

*December Monthly Idea Book (preK-3)

*50 Learning Songs Sung to Favorite Tunes (K-2)

*Data Collection Mini Books (K-2)

*Big Book of Thematic Plays (1-3)

*Nonfiction Read & Write Booklets: Holidays (2-3)

*20 Terrific Mini Plays (2-4)

*Easy Make and Use Mini-Reference Books for Every Kid (2-4)

*Mnemonic Songs for Content Area Learning (3-6)

*Poems for Teaching in the Content Areas (4 & up)

Science

*Sing Along & Learn Science (preK-2)

*File Folder Games in Color: Science (K-2)

*A Year of Hands-On Science (K-3)

*101 Science Poems & Poems For Young Learners (1-3)

*Teaching Science with Favorite Picture Books (1-3)

*Easy Make & Learn Projects: Animal Habitats (2-3)

*Easy Make & Learn Projects: Weather (2-3)

*Nonfiction Read & Write Booklets: Science (2-3)

*Science Question of the Day (3-6)

*The Body Book (3-6)

*Teaching Science: Yes, You Can! (3-6)

*Sandwich Bag Science (4-8)

*Soda Bottle Science (4-8)

*Coffee Can Science (4-8)

Art

*Follow the Directions & Draw It All By Yourself (K-2)

*Art Projects Around the World (1-3)

*Amazing Animal Art Projects (1-3)

*Art Projects with Paper (1-3)

*Quick Art Crayon Projects (2-4)

Math

*Math Word Problems Made Easy (2)

*Math Line Designs from Around the World (2-3)

*Menu Math (2-3)

*Super Sudoku Math: Addition & Subtraction (2-3)

*Solve-the-Riddle Math Practice: Time & Money (2-3)

*Solve-the-Riddle Math Practice: Addition & Subtraction (2-3)

*20 Marvelous Math Tales (2-4)

*Super Sudoku Math: Multiplication & Division (3-5)

*Comic-Strip Math: Problem Solving (3-6)

*200 Super-Fun, Super-Easy Math Story Problems (3-6)

*Super Sudoku Math: Fractions & Decimals (3-6)

*Menu Math (4-5)

*Math Line Designs from Around the World (4-6)

*Sports Math (4-8)

History/ Social Studies

*Let's Learn Mini-Books: Our Nation (2-3)

*Read, Sing, & Learn Mini-Books: Famous Americans (2-4)

*Content Area Mini-Books: Geographical Terms (2-4)

*Lift-the-Flap Timelines: American History (3-6)

*50 Great States Read & Solve Crossword Puzzles (3-6)

*Interactive 3-D Maps: American History (4-8)

*Hands-On History: Explorers (4-8)

*Hands-On History: Pioneers (4-8)

*Hands-On History: American Revolution (4-8)

*Hands-On History: Civil War (4-8)

*Hands-On History: Colonial America (4-8)

Readers

*AlphaTales (preK-1)

*20 Sing-Along Mini-Books for Emergent Readers (preK-1)

*Word Family Tales (preK-2)

*Sight Word Tales (K-2)

*My First Readers: Level A (K-1)

*25 Emergent Reader Mini-Books: Favorite Themes (K-1)

*My First Readers: Level B (K-2)

*Folk & Fairy Tale Easy Readers (K-2)

Vocabulary

*Vocabulary Word of the Day (3-6)

*Word Study Learning Packs (3-6)

*Vocabulary Packets: Greek & Latin Roots (4-8)

*Vocabulary Packets: Prefixes & Suffixes (4-8)

Literature Teaching & Guides

*Teaching Reading with Bill Martin Books (K-1)

*Teaching with Aesop's Fables (1-3)

*Scholastic Book Guide: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (1-3)

*Scholastic Book Guide: Magic School Bus Inside the Human Body (1-3)

*Better Than Book Reports (2-6)

*Scholastic Book Guide: Charlotte's Web (3-5)

*Scholastic Book Guide: Boxcar Children (3-5)

*Mr. Popper's Penguins- Scholastic Literature Guide (4-8)

*Literature Circle: The Lion, the Witch, & the Wardrobe (4-8)

*Teaching Literary Elements with Picture Books (4-8)

Grammar

*Writing Skills Made Fun: Parts of Speech (2-3)

*Writing Skills Made Fun: Capitalization, Punctuation, & Spelling (2-3)

*Sequence Practice Mini-Books (2-3)

*Instant Grammar Practice Kids Will Love! (2-3)

*Grammar Tales (3 & up)

*No Boring Practice, Please! Funny Fairy Tale Proofreading (3-4)

*Fill-In Flap Book for Grammar, Vocabulary, & More (3-5)

*Instant Grammar Practice Kids Will Love! (4-5)

*No Boring Practice, Please! Punctuation & Capitalization (4-6)

*No Boring Practice, Please! Parts of Speech (4-6)

Testing Prep

*Scholastic Success with Reading Tests (2)

*Standardized Test Skill Builders: Reading (3-4)

Miscellaneous

*Handwriting Practice: Jokes & Riddles (2-5)

*Logic Posters, Problems, & Puzzles (3-6)

This is my first year homeschooling, and my first Scholastic sale. I bought about 30 books, went a bit crazy I think...

I decided to print out all of the Table of Contents pages and then sort by subject so that I could quickly look at the activities and (hopefully) print out what I want when I need it. So my plan is when I do my weekly planning I can print out a few activities to go with our lessons.

These are some of my favorite by subject. I've got quite a few new ones to try for next year, especially literature related for my book club. I'm going to put together a reader's response interactive notebook which they will make during the first meeting and use all year as they read the books.

Grammar:

Grammar Cop

Funny Fairy Tale Grammar

Comic Strip Grammar

Math:

What's Your Angle and 9 Other Math Games

Mega Fun Fractions

Science:

Easy Make and Learn Projects Human Body

25 Totally Terrific Science Projects

Quick and Easy Learning Games Science

This is my first year homeschooling, and my first Scholastic sale. I bought about 30 books, went a bit crazy I think...

I decided to print out all of the Table of Contents pages and then sort by subject so that I could quickly look at the activities and (hopefully) print out what I want when I need it. So my plan is when I do my weekly planning I can print out a few activities to go with our lessons.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this idea!!!!

I've been trying for 2 days to place an order, but it won't go through. Today my order is finally going through, but the May coupon code isn't working of course. Anyone know of any June coupon codes? I'm really annoyed that the site wasn't working.

I would try to email them. I have had a few glitches here and there and their customer service has always been good.

This is the first time I've ever seen their "Daily Word Ladder" books included in the $1 sale. We have the first book (Grades 1-2) and have used it quite a bit over the past two years. I had just put the next book in my Amazon cart; thank goodness I hadn't checked out yet!

http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?limit=64&name=Search&name_x=0&name_y=0&q=word+ladders

I also found these, which I am considering buying; they look like useful resources:

Teaching Phonics & Word Study in the Intermediate Grades: A Complete Sourcebook

http://teacherexpres...rmediate-grades

The Spelling List and Word Study Resource Book

http://teacherexpres...y-resource-book

Also, I found some about elections, which is always useful, although maybe not so much this year! ha.

The Election Activity Book for grades 1-3

Candidates, Campaigns & Elections for grades 4-8

http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/subject/social-studies/civics-and-government?product_type=678

This is the first time I've ever seen their "Daily Word Ladder" books included in the $1 sale. We have the first book (Grades 1-2) and have used it quite a bit over the past two years. I had just put the next book in my Amazon cart; thank goodness I hadn't checked out yet!

http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?limit=64&name=Search&name_x=0&name_y=0&q=word+ladders

I bought all the file folder games in color last night- I am really happy with them (I like that I don't have to color them! Print, Laminate and DONE!) and will be spending all weekend putting some of them together. You can see inside them on amazon- here is the alphabet one.

Alright, everyone. No.More.Suggestions!!! I made the mistake of looking at these, and then, of course, buying them! Heather, those games look great (we have the science ones) and if I had a color printer I would get them too.

I agree - NO MORE.

Although I keep looking at those Election ones - do they look like they would only work in a Presidential Election year? I'm tempted to just do it because well, I think i'm ordering a civics/government type of course to spread out over the next 2 years.

And really, what IS a dollar more at this point?!?! :p

But really, JUST STOP!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Although I keep looking at those Election ones - do they look like they would only work in a Presidential Election year? I'm tempted to just do it because well, I think i'm ordering a civics/government type of course to spread out over the next 2 years.

I decided not to buy them, but I put them in my wishlist.

I had bought the MindUP curriculum for grades 3-6 for $5 previously; my library owns the print books and I checked it out. I had considered buying the print version for $16 or so; based on looking inside the lower and upper levels, I thought I might as well just get the mid-range. However I decided to buy the other levels when they went on sale for $1 each. They're cheaper than the books and I thought they might add something to our days. I bought a couple of educational-type books (this time and previously), but I have trouble reading ebooks so, we'll see. The books by Janet Angelilo seem to have vanished. Weird.

I bought the MindUP for 3-6 and 6-8, i'm very interested in reading those - but I have to add them to the list, or read that when I go to AL next weekend. DD is doing so much better, but we are having some moments that I'm hoping even one nugget will help her!

I love ebooks - me and my iPad snuggled up in the dark..... :D

I got a week by week packet type of thing for the older phonics/word study too - i'm curious to go thru those and have DD review them. It can't hurt at all!

I need to stop opening this thread - each time I do I go and buy just a few more things. I think I'm up over $60 now! When does this sale end?

Now I just have to be sure I use them :) I'm working on a Word document of the titles but I love the idea of printing the table of contents for each book.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions!

Really? My wrist aches when I hold it for too long. I am getting old.

I don't hold it - I lock the rotation landscape and then set it on the bed on a corner and read laying on my side! (it is normally like a "diamond" when I'm reading unless I happen to be sitting up then it is on my lap) Sometimes the covers work out to hold it, but if i have to do it it is just to "balance" it - never the full weight!

This thread definitely hasn't been good for my wallet. I feel like I have lots of good resources for both my 3 year old and my 6 year old now though! I downloaded them when I bought them and organized them into folders on my computer. I need to print and assemble the file folder games and some of the other resources, but that will be a good summer project. Hopefully doing so will help me feel more organized and ready for next year. I have some great curriculum ideas for the 6 year old but am more nervous about keeping the 3 year old productively or at least happily busy while I work with him. Thanks everyone for the recommendations!

I also found these, which I am considering buying; they look like useful resources:

Teaching Phonics & Word Study in the Intermediate Grades: A Complete Sourcebook

http://teacherexpres...rmediate-grades

This looks great thanks! I was reading the reviews on Amazon and someone recommended his other best seller book as well:

http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/phonics-from-a-to-z-2nd-edition

I bought both. :)

http://teacherexpres...&q=word ladders

Thanks for mentioning this! I have seen these during another dollar sale but they don't seem to pop up very often. I just bought the next level as well.

The sale is still on. I am done buying though. I just wanted to mention, double check that the items you bought are in your downloads. I bought Scholastic Learning Express Level 2: Time and Measurement and thankfully realized it wasn't in my downloads. I went back to the order email and the download link isn't in the email either. Their Facebook page also had some complaints of this happening to other people. Their customer service is great, so I am sure it will all get sorted out, but it is a bit of a pain.

I had a couple Angelillo ebooks on my wishlist and from my wishlist they are showing up as being $1 but the links don't work. I tried searching and no ebook versions of her books are showing up anymore. :-/

[/whine]