Menu

Which Scholastic E-books Have You Gotten the Most Use Out Of?

I love the monthly idea books. I have all the months now... glad I bought them when they were $1 each instead of $5 each! They have so many ideas, all based around themes. Some of the themes are definitely month specific (around holidays or famous birthdays) and others are more general and I can add to studying other things. They're great for making window decorations with and stuff like that, too. It's mostly for grade school kids, but there's plenty of little "color, cut, and tape/hang" type projects that my little kids can do too, so they don't feel left out.

The Funny Fairy Tale proofreading is a hit here, I just got the grammar version in this sale. They also liked the 50 fill in math sheets - they are a mad libs for math.

I also just got a lot of the reading comp/inference types of books for DD to give her more practice with what she is working on in speech.

My biggest issue is that I need to ORGANIZE all of the ebooks so I can easily see what I have in what grade levels. Ye gads! :p

At last years sales I bought the hands on history colonial, revolutionary war, and explorers. Lots of great things and we will be using them lots this upcoming year!

I have used these the most also. I also like their read-aloud plays and lift the flap timeline.

We've used several of the pre-writing ones back when they were a dollar for the whole book instead of a dollar per page. My 2 year old really wants to do handwriting like her sister, so I've printed out several pages of them over and over for her to do.

My 8yo likes the "menu math" books - it has a menu from a pretend restaurant, then a few pages of questions like, "If A orders a hotdog and chips and milk, and pays with a $5, how much change does he get?" The one she's working on now has 15 different menus, with 2 worksheets each, and was on one of the $1 sales a while ago.

I have used Logic Posters for math. My oldest also really liked Great Graph Art to practice math facts. Also I use Language ARTS (those caps are necessary when searching for it) heavily. It's not for the project-phobic. It has open ended projects that can be adapted for nearly any book or grammar lesson. I really like Math Games and Phonics Games. It helps my Kinder who needs hands-on activity. Those are some I will use again.

I have the Sandwich Bag Science, Soda Bottle Science, and Coffee Can Science for next year. I'm hoping they will be fun.

2nd the menu math and Algebra readiness made easy. Also the More Proofreading Practice, Please.And the "Success with..." Series. My kids like the Maps one of that. And I use the Vocab one sometimes. I also got the History ones I hope to use soon.

Seconding the No Boring Practice and the Fairy Tale Proofreading ones. And we also liked Grammar Cop and the Math Line Designs ones. This time, I got the Menu Math one mentioned above and I'm hoping to use it some.

What interests you probably depends on how you use them. I mostly use them for our morning work, which is usually a quick worksheet to get the day started - among other things, I use logic pages, math drills, and grammar practice since we don't do a lot outside of writing. I've bought a few of the project ones and a couple of the more curriculumy ones and they haven't seen much use. When my kids were younger, I got some of the little booklet ones - math mysteries and map mysteries... Just a lot of trouble to put together for a two minute activity and there's only a few in there besides. I just want quick practice things and things with a little fun element to them and things where I can pick and choose, not have to follow a sequence.

My 8yo likes the "menu math" books - it has a menu from a pretend restaurant, then a few pages of questions like, "If A orders a hotdog and chips and milk, and pays with a $5, how much change does he get?" The one she's working on now has 15 different menus, with 2 worksheets each, and was on one of the $1 sales a while ago.

I also just use regular menus I find online, and grocery store flyers. I also use flight schedules from the airlines (I have one from 2002 I am still dragging around).

Is there a skip counting book that anyone has found?

Super-Fun Multiplication Memory Boosters has a skip-counting section. I'm just buying it today, so I can't give much of a review.

Also, I discovered that many of the books are viewable on the Barnes and Noble website. You have to be logged in, but then you can see many (all?) of the pages of most of the ebooks I've searched for. Makes it much easier to decide which ones are worth getting.

Heather

Week by Week Phonics & Word Study for Intermediate Grades looks fabulous.

20 Manipulative Mini-Books: Neighborhood and Community has been great for my K4 kiddo.

Teaching with Favorite Arnold Lobel Books, also Cynthia Rylant

Teaching with Cinderella Stories from Around the World

Read Around the World with 20 Great Picture and Chapter Books

Super-Fun Multiplication Memory Boosters has a skip-counting section. I'm just buying it today, so I can't give much of a review.

Also, I discovered that many of the books are viewable on the Barnes and Noble website. You have to be logged in, but then you can see many (all?) of the pages of most of the ebooks I've searched for. Makes it much easier to decide which ones are worth getting.

Heather

Thank you!

I may have just bought 15 more books...

And I may have over 100 scholastic eBooks now. In my defense it has taken several years to collect all of those and I have used parts of all I have purchased (except for the ones I just bought yesterday). Every single time I see some new books that I just have to have!

I think you deserve a prize! How do you do it?

:lol: I think I need to be cut off!!! I know it doesn't sound like it when I said I bought 100 of these crazy books, but I am a very thrifty person. So if I buy something it is because I see a need in what I am purchasing.

I also print out a blank calendar for the year that is specifically for the Scholastic books and I go through them to mark when to use them. If I didn't do that I am sure a lot of them would be pushed aside and not used.

:lol: I think I need to be cut off!!! I know it doesn't sound like it when I said I bought 100 of these crazy books, but I am a very thrifty person. So if I buy something it is because I see a need in what I am purchasing.

I also print out a blank calendar for the year that is specifically for the Scholastic books and I go through them to mark when to use them. If I didn't do that I am sure a lot of them would be pushed aside and not used.

THANK YOU! So smart. I bought each for a reason but they tend to get lost and forgotten on the computer. Then I see them and think - why aren't I using these?!

THANK YOU! So smart. I bought each for a reason but they tend to get lost and forgotten on the computer. Then I see them and think - why aren't I using these?!

You are welcome! And that has happened here too, which is why I started the calendar. :thumbup:

Oh.my.word. I am cutting myself off! :lol: I think I have gone back and made three separate orders. This thread is dangerous! ;) in all fairness a lot of them look great! I need to plan a day to print out EVERYTHNG so hey get used and I don't forget about them.

A lot of the "extra practice" type workbooks, I have been printing for car rides and travel. Instant Practice Alphabet looks like a great one for this. I print them and put them into a binder and dd loves to work on them in the car. The 1st Grade book of Mazes, Dot to Dots and Word Searches looks like it might be good for that, too. They're also great for something to work on while I'm making dinner. Not a lot of explanation necessary.

I just ordered 20 more yesterday (though to be fair, seven are for my co-op science class next year)...I already have too many and unlike edeemarie, I have not done a good job using most of them. The ones I have gotten the most use out of are some of the pre-writing and other preschool activity books (cutting, pasting, letter tracing, etc) for my current 4 year old who really likes worksheets.

We tried some of the hands-on history ones for American History this past year, and DD had a hard time getting into them, but I don't think that's the fault of the books...when I tried them she wasn't liking anything like that (she was really not in the mood for history pockets or lapbooks either last fall).

I got several of those "50 Fill it in Math Word Problems" books (okay, maybe I bought almost all of them). :lol: We did a couple stories yesterday, and my kids loved them. It's a bit time consuming to fill in the "mad lib" part to get to 1 single math problem at the end, but my kids LOVE mad libs, so this is kind of a fun activity to do over lunch or something like that and get the bonus of reviewing both parts of speech and math.