Menu

Do you ever feel less is more?

Do you ever feel like less is more regarding history and science?

I just feel like breaking history down into more compact studies. For instance, how can you really study the whole world/time period in a year? I am finding it impossible.

I really like the college method-

Would it better to make a unit study on certain countries pulling more details? What have you done and how can I make this better?

Yes. I have found that focusing on one aspect of a subject can actually lead to a good general knowledge of a subject rather than covering subjects as an overview. For example, we have been doing a lapbook on deer. I thought it might just be a little side subject but it has led to learning about classification, gestation periods and rumination.

Encouraged by this we are hoping to do this brain study http://ellenjmchenry.com/id99.html with the children next.

Especially with younger children, I think this works better. They really make the subject their own, incorporate it into their play and talk about it. As much as I LOVE the history cycle idea and SOTW, I think we might be unit studiers for at least a few more years.

Honestly, I didn't do a history survey until 7th grade and I love the subject and, IMHO, know it well. Although I'm not as hooked on science, I think this approach will work in elementary years as well.

Absolutely. I don't emphasize history or science with our dd. Our main focus is Latin, which functions as a catch-all for many different subjects and skills. I let dd read widely, and that includes historical and scientific subjects, but they are not a big part of our formal academics and won't be for many years.

I love science but find our own lessons are often short and to the point. the kids are learning the facts and enjoying the books, but we aren't spending hours a few days a week to do it. If they ask for more, they get it. Otherwise we have short, concise lessons here. I spent a year deciding on history since so many programs look wonderful but I realized that simple gets the job done. We will be doing SOTW with the AG and not all the other wonderful options out there. we will do a notebook but we won't do every activity and may do nothing but a map some weeks. IF they want more, then we will do it. But right now they like short and to the point. I think it's what works for you and your kids :-)

In planning next year, I realized that there was now way we could cover all of HO Middle Ages next year and I was stressed about this until I decided to just do European Middle Ages next year and Asian Middle Ages and European Renaissance and Reformation the following year. We also focus on Latin and math and I just don't want my week to be dictated by history. I also don't want to just rush through it just to say we did. I want to be able to dig into some of the interesting things at a relaxed pace. So, yes, less is definitely more at this house.

Believe it or not, I am on the same exact wave length as all of you. I find if I try to do too much, *I* get frustrated (which means can you imagine how they feel) and I end up tossing everything. We are only doing the basics--math, science, history, grammar.. started Lit, but found it tedious; started spanish, found it boring. I have a Home Ec Course I wanted to do with them, too much.

Add to that bowling and working, I just can't do it all. So we are just doing the basics. And I'm happier for it. I'm thinking of doing what you are--breaking it all down in to little pieces. But I also find myself wondering if I shortchanged my 15 year old--she's only got two more years. And while she's smart, she's not intelligent nor is she college material and I feel like I've shortchanged her.

Gah, the stress of it all.

That was my big realization in October. We were trying to do TOG with SOTW as a spine, Anne's School Place Bible Curriculum and add in a science curriculum on top of that. The middle ages were of no interest to my dds and I felt like we were trying to do too much.

So now we have relaxed it--just the 3 r's at schooltime.

We are reading good books like the D'Aulaire Biographies and fun history books like the American Girls at bedtime. My oldest requests My Pals are Here Science but I am happy just getting a kit every so often and having experiment week and checking out books about animals and such from the library as we want to learn about something.

The last three months have been wonderful and there are no more tears at schooltime.:)

This is my first year homeschooling - I have a daughter in 2nd grade. My vision for this year was to nail down basic math skills and to inspire her curiosity.

I have a son still in ps who will be graduating this year. We were very fortunate that he has been in a special AG program since 4th grade that was a perfect fit for him - but his curiosity was his motivation for his success. He has been accepted at all 5 schools to which he applied - he was invited to compete for scholarship at three of them - one has offered him a full academic scholarship so far and he's waiting for decisions on the other two.

I want my daughter to have similar opportunities. Unfortunately, we have not been able to get her into the program that he has been in.

So, we are homeschooling. I really do feel that less is more. It was not just learning all of the "facts" that got my son these opportunities - it was his curiosity, and his love of reading. We stick very closely to our math program and moderately work on other language basics. We also enjoy a moderate schedule with SOTW spending much time reading from the recommended literature lists. Then, I like to keep most of our schedule free to go to various field trips or to travel or go wherever our interests lead us. By about 5th or 6th grade, we will start to gradually firm our program. But for now my primary goal is to ignite the spark!

Do you ever feel like less is more regarding history and science?

I just feel like breaking history down into more compact studies. For instance, how can you really study the whole world/time period in a year? I am finding it impossible.

I really like the college method-

Would it better to make a unit study on certain countries pulling more details? What have you done and how can I make this better?

This is one reason I love the idea of going through history in 4 year rotation.... as the kids learn and grow they will learn more and more in-depth information.

Unit studies are great to accomplish this... I know Jennifer Steward makes unit study guides that gives you about 4-6 weeks worth of work. She chooses to keep them short, not to cram more in, but she doesn’t want to loose a zeal for a topic, or loose the kids zeal.

I do think unit studies are the way to go….. you can make your own or buy pre made. Lots to choose from!

HTH~

For history year 1, we did units on Old Testament, Egypt, Greece, New Testament, and Rome. For year 2, we did a larger Middle Ages unit and a smaller Renaissance and Reformation unit focusing on western civilization for both. This year we've been using TruthQuest and focusing on American history. I'll think we'll add back in the unit approach next year within the framework of TruthQuest.

We've had a harder time with science, but I think we might start bringing in some more short unit studies there as well maybe to alternate with a curriculum.

Absolutely. That huge sigh you may have heard from our house in the past few months is my moving to more of a LCC plan with a 'less-is-more' approach. Things were going pretty well before that but this final change 'less-is-more' has really made everything even better. We are actually learning things rather than doing things.

I have had some "less is more" thinking around here lately too - although maybe in a little bit different way. We have participated in Classical Conversations here this year and I have been a bit frustrated at losing that day of school. Now we're in that "hard" part of the year (at least, it's hard for me - I feel like we're SO bogged down). I keep trying to cram 5 days worth of work into about 3.5 days (we are SO ready for a "light" day on Friday - but we already gave up MOnday for CC). Anyway, this week I cut out more. I even cut out SOTW. I've ordered the CDs and I'm going to let my boys listen to them whenever they chose. (My oldest ds already listens to Diana Waring's cds every morning during breakfast and he LOVES history). I'm going to focus on core skills: reading, writing, math, and something to capture the heart and mind until we finish CC. Then we can re-group and see what we need to accomplish before the end of the school year.

As far as history goes - I'm not sure if these thoughts relate to yours or not - but one thing I noticed about sotw this year (first year we've used it) is how much we jump around - I feel we miss the unity of a continuous story line. I'm thinking about Diana Waring next year - 9 units, 4 weeks each. We might not cover as much quantity, (or maybe we will?), but I wonder if we'll enjoy it more? Just a thought... I'm really not good at evaluating curriculum until I actually try it. :)