Menu

Need help navigating math competitions - AMC, Mathcounts, etc

My 12 year old daughter is very interested in competing in a math contest. She did the AOPS math contest prep course and LOVED it. But, I'm having a hard time finding a contest that accepts homeschoolers. She's the only one that would be competing, as we don't know many "mathy" kids, and that we don't have a team seems to limit us, as well.

I looked at AMC, and it seemed like we couldn't get approved. The closest test at a public university would be in another state, about 1.5 hours away.

Is it possible for her to compete on her own? And what contests would allow that?

Thank you!

You CAN compete in AMC and Mathcounts as an individual homeschooler. Dd did AMC this past year! You have to pay for the full cost, though. We have not negotiated Mathcounts yet.

Sorry have no time right now---dd just finished her Geometry so we need to go over it! I'll return later :)

Yes, homeschoolers can compete in both AMC and MathCounts competitions! We've enjoyed both contests over the years here. You need to complete an extra step or two in order to verify & register your homeschool, and you'll have to pay registration fees like any other school. Individual homeschoolers can participate in either contest without being on a team, and they will still be eligible for individual awards and advancement to higher level rounds.

AMC-8 homeschool administration rules - if you decide that you want to administer the exam to your own homeschool. Before you can complete the registration process, you will need to send the office details about where you will test (public place) & who (unrelated adult, preferable a retired teacher or the like) will proctor. The AMC office will mail the exams directly to your proctor. So, get your plans in place before the last minute!

MathCounts handbook - download the handbook & see p46 for homeschool rules

Some WTM threads that might help you: (I know there are more, but the system is acting very slowly for me right now. Try looking for threads marked with the amc or mathcounts tags - & please tag this thread, too :001_smile: ):

AMC 8 MathExam

AMC -- as a homeschooler at a school?

Talk to me about MathCounts

We did AMC 8 twice and AMC 10 once.

The first time we did AMC 8 I contacted the rep for a college near us. Turned out that the actual test was given at a tutoring center. They were quite happy to have us join them and it was an interesting experience for my kids.

This year I was able to organize both AMC 8 & 10 with our coop. We had a classroom and one of the other parents tested (she had no one testing). I'd love to do this again. If I do try again I would advertise it on some of the homeschool email lists and try to get a full group. I think it's more fun with a full room and it shares the cost too. Plus we might find some other math interested kids.

There are also other competitions like Math Kangaroo (given in March) and Continental Math League. Both of those you can simply register for individually-CML mails you the stuff and your student does it, and you enter scores online. If you can get 6 kids together, you can enter as a team as well. Math Kangaroo, you simply register at any open site near you. Not as prestigious as AMC 8, but if she likes contest math, she'd probably enjoy them. My DD isn't to the AMC level yet, but loves math contests.

Another way to build a math community is MOEMS (moems.org). They have a middle school level, so your dd12 can participate. The nice thing about moems is you meet monthly to take half hour exams. That leaves another half hour for discussion of solutions. Since we're all meeting regularly (not just once a year like AMC), by the end of the season, the kids really get to know each other. Plus they can earn certificates and other prizes if they do well.

We do AMC, MC and MK, but it's been through MOEMS that we've made math friends.

The nice thing is so far, all these groups are friendly to homeschoolers.

• 3 weeks later...

Another way to build a math community is MOEMS (moems.org). They have a middle school level, so your dd12 can participate. The nice thing about moems is you meet monthly to take half hour exams. That leaves another half hour for discussion of solutions. Since we're all meeting regularly (not just once a year like AMC), by the end of the season, the kids really get to know each other. Plus they can earn certificates and other prizes if they do well.

We do AMC, MC and MK, but it's been through MOEMS that we've made math friends.

The nice thing is so far, all these groups are friendly to homeschoolers.

Are there groups that are generally already formed that you can join, or do you have to form the group yourself? I took a look at their website and couldn't find any info there.

Thanks!

Are there groups that are generally already formed that you can join, or do you have to form the group yourself? I took a look at their website and couldn't find any info there.

Thanks!

Sorry, I missed this post because I forgot to "follow" the thread.

If they are already available in your area, by all means join them.

A MOEMS team is easy to form. There's a registration form on their website, but you need to recruit other students for your team.

MK is also pretty easy. You can tell them how many students you can handle at your site, and they will take care of registration for you. (Alternatively, you can have your own "private" exam that's not open to the public.)

We take AMC proctored by someone else at a local univ.

Let me know if you have other questions.