Menu

Dumb Question

mom2agang

I am thinking 7th and 8th. Even in Public Schools it can vary depending on BDay. Parents can sometimes have a child start a bit later or earlier. Typically a 7th grader is 12-13 and and 8th grader is 13-14 with some overlap of course. Then High School is 14-18. Though depending on BDay some graduate HS right before turning 18. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_the_United_States

Your dds would either be older 6th and 7th graders or younger 7th and 8th graders. I know for boys especially they encourage holding them back a year if they are younger like this having birthdays in the Fall right after school starts.

In California a child must turn six on of before the current cutoff of November 1 for first grade. But they are planning on moving it back to September 1 by 2014-15 like some of the other states mentioned. With November 1 as a date they would both be the same age if one follows such rules. It seems like the age being stated is the minimum age limit vs. the upper limit.

There are no dumb questions. Just dumb people who try to make you feel dumb so they don't have to admit how dumb they are.

More and more states are lowering the cut off date to September 1st, when years ago the standard cut off was usually December or January 1st. States/Towns had to start lowering the cut off dates when they raised standards above normal child development levels. Sigh!

Depends if they started kindergarten at age 5 or 6. You can do the math from there.

An oct/dec bday would be a young 5 year old and many people would wait until they were 6. There's a world of difference between a new kindergartener who just turned 5 the month school started or just turned 6.

If your state has a September 1 cutoff, they'd be in 6th and 7th grades next year. If your state has a December 1 cutoff, they'd both be in 7th grade next year. Your state's cutoff should be easy to google or find on your school district's website.

The more important question may be, "how far away from being ready to start high-school-level work are they?"

I have 2 dd close in age. 1 is 12 and will be 13 on Dec 2nd. The other one is 11 going to be 12 on 10/31. What grade are they suppose to be in, in the fall?

In Texas and Virginia, where the cut-off is September 1, the older one would be in 7th grade, the younger one would be 6th.

In California, where the cut-off date used to be December 2, the older one *could* have been 8th grade, but there would probably have been a parent-school discussion about that; the younger one would be 7th.

:) When people ask my little guy what grade he is in, he often tells them how old he is. I have explained to him that when people ask that question they usually are asking for an age approximation and do not want to know details regarding the grade level of the materials that using in every subject. lol If a person really wants a grade level, I just give them the grade he would be in by cut-off date in my state. If it is a homeschool parent who is curious about grade skipping and reporting, then we may have a longer, deeper conversation.

HTH-

Mandy