Menu

Does anyone have CORK flooring? Pros/Cons?

Alia_in_FL

We have it in the kitchen. It's been... 5, maybe 6 years and it hasn't faded. Ours is a medium tone burl, and we have 4 windows in the kitchen. It needs to be resealed, but that's because I'm a dolt and didn't seal it when we first put it in.

I was convinced after reading an article about a huge, historic church in Chicago (?) that has cork floors that are, like, a century old. People wear heels to church and it's survived. I figured it would be fine with 5 mostly barefoot people, and it's been great.

My best friend has it in her kitchen. It is about 7 years old at this point. It has survied 2 dogs, plus often addition dogs for weekends. Partys/large groups of people are there often. Kids in and out. Plenty of high heels. It has held up great and is very comfortable to stand on. There is a lot of light in her kitchen and I don't remember it fading at all. We were just discussing her floor last weekend. She still loves it.

I have it in our school room. I can't say how it holds up to dogs because our dog does not go upstairs. I love it. I close the blinds when the sun shines directly in mostly to save on the a/c bill. I don't allow food or drinks (other than water) in the school room. We don't wear shoes inside except for my inside-work-out-shoes that I wear to exercise. It's nicer working out on the cork floor than my hard wood floor.

Hard wood I hate. Hate.

We have it and love it. In our old house we had it in the kitchen. In this house we just put it in the entire downstairs, so family room and two bedrooms. I can’t really think of any cons except that it hides dirt maybe too well. :)

Eagle,

you have cork in the bathroom? Has there been any issues with water damage? I have raynaud's and I would love to have something else beside tile in my bathroom....the cold gets to me...

Eagle,

you have cork in the bathroom? Has there been any issues with water damage? I have raynaud's and I would love to have something else beside tile in my bathroom....the cold gets to me...

The supplier warned me not to put cork in the bathroom but it has been completely fine. We are very careful and never leave standing water on it. I would not put it in a bathroom with children or guests.

We have glue-down cork tiles that look like grey marble.