Menu

Pass the bean dip please

Grrr. That is all I have to say. Just Grrr. At least I am smiling, right?

I need to unclench my jaw and take a deep breathe. I don't have to justify how I raise my kids.

My mom spends about half the year with me. It is good for her and it is good for the kids, but it is hard for me after she has been here a few months.

Take last week for instance. DD7 and I were doing math. She hates subtraction with borrowing right now. She does it well, but doesn't like it so we have been doing a lot of it. My mom's helpful comment, "If she doesn't want to do math with you, maybe she should try doing it in public school with everyone else. She will learn that it has to be done and that it isn't fun."

My reply, "No, she doesn't need another teacher. She is doing great with math."

My thoughts "Don't try to manipulate my child with empty threats like that. And don't tell her that math isn't fun!"

There. I feel better now. Bean dip anyone?

Grrr. That is all I have to say. Just Grrr. At least I am smiling, right?

I need to unclench my jaw and take a deep breathe. I don't have to justify how I raise my kids.

My mom spends about half the year with me. It is good for her and it is good for the kids, but it is hard for me after she has been here a few months.

Take last week for instance. DD7 and I were doing math. She hates subtraction with borrowing right now. She does it well, but doesn't like it so we have been doing a lot of it. My mom's helpful comment, "If she doesn't want to do math with you, maybe she should try doing it in public school with everyone else. She will learn that it has to be done and that it isn't fun."

My reply, "No, she doesn't need another teacher. She is doing great with math."

My thoughts "Don't try to manipulate my child with empty threats like that. And don't tell her that math isn't fun!"

There. I feel better now. Bean dip anyone?

Everyone else isn't doing it in public school and she may learn it, she may not -- :D

:grouphug: I'm sorry!

Parents have no idea what they're saying sometimes, I think. Any time I talk to mine about issues with my kids, they tell me I should think about putting them in school. :001_huh:

I tell them that the issues are parenting issues and would not be solved by school. I would just have to deal with the same things after they'd been in school all day and were tired. If I ever come up against something I think would be solved by putting them in school, I would consider it, LOL.

I think your mom was trying to be helpful. She saw you having a hard time with your daughter and responded like a mom would! Not saying that what she said was right - I agree with you totally - just wanted to say that she does love you and I don't *think* she would intentionally undermine your efforts to homeschool.

I don't know your mom.... so I apologize if I'm way off base here!

My mom's helpful comment, "If she doesn't want to do math with you, maybe she should try doing it in public school with everyone else. She will learn that it has to be done and that it isn't fun."

You are so much better than me--my response, in my mind, would have been:

"If you don't want to sit here and be supportive, maybe you should try living at someone else's house. You can stay there and realize it has to be done, and that it isn't fun."

I can be right nasty when I need to be.

Not that I would ever say that to my mom. Or think it. My mom is a saint. ;)

You are so much better than me--my response, in my mind, would have been:

"If you don't want to sit here and be supportive, maybe you should try living at someone else's house. You can stay there and realize it has to be done, and that it isn't fun."

I can be right nasty when I need to be.

Not that I would ever say that to my mom. Or think it. My mom is a saint. ;)

:lol:

Yep, mine is a saint too.

:grouphug:

I think your mom was trying to be helpful. She saw you having a hard time with your daughter and responded like a mom would! Not saying that what she said was right - I agree with you totally - just wanted to say that she does love you and I don't *think* she would intentionally undermine your efforts to homeschool.

I don't know your mom.... so I apologize if I'm way off base here!

I don't know your mom either or how she really feels about your homeschooling. But I hear that comment and wonder if she wasn't trying to use reverse psychology on your daughter. You know, trying to make schooling in the ps seem like no fun when she has it so good with you? Just a thought! I could be wrong.

I need some bean dip to pass around when my mom comments on how many kids we have! When I casually said something about possibly being "done" she said, "You've talked about being done?" as if this is just amazing and she's so glad I finally thought of it. So I kind of gestured to the kids that were near us and said, "Which one should we toss back, mom?" She got all stumbly and said, "Well, no...." and I guess didn't have anything to say after that. I said that we LOVE our large family and we'll see just how/where it ends up.

Moms can be tough!!!!