Menu

Realistically - new baby and homeschooling

I am due to have a baby in late May. We usually school through the summer because it's just too hot to do anything around here besides school. The problem is this was a rough pregnancy and we've fallen behind. I finally have 4 of my kids doing CLE Math and LA so that's been a huge help. I still have to check their work and we go over the last few lessons before a quiz or test. I'm also available to help them with anything they need, but it has freed up time. My youngest son is working through Saxon Phonics 1 and Saxon Math 1 right now. Those are his time consuming subjects. I'm going to add in the other stuff in the fall when I have more time. He is also doing A Reason For Handwriting, but that is all him with just some correction from me occasionally.

We have evaluations for the two older girls in June (I'm pushing it to the end and crossing my fingers there will be no repercussions!) I have evaluations for my other three students in September.

I'm kind of pushing them to get done with the levels they are in by the end of June which is realistic, BUT it means they will have to work through June while I'm busy with a newborn. Do you think this is realistic? If I am only doing the stuff I mentioned above for CLE can they do it? I'm really only asking them to do LA and Math. I will continue to check it and review with them before tests/quizzes and try to help them when they need help.

Can I ask my older girls to help Jonathan with his math and phonics for a few weeks? I would be around to help and supervise, but they would be doing a lot of the work. It probably takes him and I about an hour to do those two subjects.

I thought about for something fun doing some read alouds with them all and adding in some fun literature activities that I let the older girls plan. What about some science experiments that the older girls help the younger three with?

Dh can help some, but he does work a weird schedule and we do have toddler...

I hate to give up school completely for the month of June because that will cut into our fall play time and it could mean our evaluator is not happy with our progress. Not a big deal because we only have to show forward progression here and I have that, but you know the stress of it all. LOL Plus, a whole month off means a harder time getting started when we can get back in the game. Stuff just falls out of their heads when they have more than a few days off.

I wish my kids were still little sometimes and we could just veg out and watch educational shows on Netflix and read all the books we wanted all day long.

Pay your 15 and 12 yo's to do the checking. You focus on the baby and resting. For the 15 yo, have her double up her work so she's done before the baby comes. That way you don't have to deal with her stuff.

Or at least that's what I'd do, not being in your situation but liking to hold my newborns. :)

Congrats on your new little one!

I asked the same question a couple of years ago and the ladies here said homeschooling with a newborn was a breeze and they were right (homeschooling while recovering from a dramatic loss of blood was another matter ;)).

It's when baby starts getting more active that it gets tougher.

Yeah, I don't have as many kids, but I was surprised by how much we were able to accomplish when my youngest was a newborn. We even went on some local field trips. However, once she started moving things got a lot harder. And this one was not an easy baby, but holding a newborn vs. keeping track of a wandering menace... holding tiny baby while schooling is much easier. And with your older kids, you could possibly take turns with them caring for the newborn (snuggling) while you help with the youngest's work.

Congratulations!

Homeschooling is your job. Few moms are expected to go back to their outside-the-homes jobs before a few weeks have passed.

Some of this depends upon:

Disclaimer: You do not need to answer these questions in this public forum. It is none of our business.

1) How well will YOU recover from delivery? I never recovered well, but I'm sure there are moms out there who did.

2) Do you sling your babies? I couldn't figure this out, but some slings are better than others. Many moms sling their babies to keep them content.

3) Do you have help for several weeks? Extra people (Grandma, church friends) can be a help or a hindrance if you are trying to homeschool after the baby comes.

4) Do you nurse or cosleep? What is your nighttime strategy for baby? If you nurse on demand, baby may keep you up all night.

I know some families that sleep-train their babies from day one. They send dad with a bottle at 2am. In our house we nurse on demand AND cosleep, so I was always tired tired tired for the first several months. I hope that I am coming across as non-judgmental upon this one. Every family needs to make the choices that are right for us.

------------------------------------------------

The best advice I got from other homeschooling moms while I was pregnant was to just PLAN to fall behind. Babies take a lot of time. Recovery from pregnancy takes time. Holy moly! You are growing a whole separate and unique person! That's a lot of work! The best science in the world can't do that yet!

The good news is that several of your kids are older; they could be weaned to work more independently on at least a few of their things (not that you haven't done this already). It is a good skill to figure things out on your own; and it is a good skill to know when and how to ask for assistance.

I also like PP idea to pay the older kids to check the work of the youngers.

I school year-round as well and will be having a baby later this summer. We will do math, reading/phonics, and handwriting. I will also read some in our SL core, but probably sporadically. I think you can easily expect to do some, but don't get overly stressed about it. They are little and I know you have evals, but most hs evaluators are aware that life happens.

I'm schooling right now with a 2.5 month old. We started school back up when the baby was 2 weeks old. The kids needed it because they were acting a bit crazy without any structure to the day. I found schooling much easier after the baby was born.

I make sure the basics are done in the morning so if we get behind, I'm not worried about the extras. Everything is open-and-go; I don't have the mental energy to plan anything. Formal schooling is only four days a week. The fifth day is field trips, doctor appointments, or catch-up days. This way I have built-in flexibility to my plans.

I added a mandatory rest time to our day. The kids must be in their rooms and quiet or they will face a very unhappy mother. Dh and I stress the importance of this time for mommy's sanity. Also, the time we do school has increased. Previously, we'd be done by lunch or a little after. Now, our day may not be done until 4 or 5.

I'm schooling right now with a 5.5mo and it has been an education it what we can and can't do. I expected to take a few weeks off after he was born in early November, and had built those weeks into our anticipated schedule for the year.

Then he was born with a posterior tongue tie which we had revised twice, with accompanying milk transfer and weight gain issues. He eventually refused to latch altogether and I have ended up exclusively pumping for him. In the beginning I was using the wrong flange size without knowing it so it took me an HOUR to get 3.5 oz of milk--which means that I was spending eight hours a day attached to the breast pump. It was literally a full time job.

We did nothing beyond BrainPop, read alouds and audiobooks for four solid months. Then I adjusted my flange size, and cut my pumping time in half. But still, now I am attached to the breast pump for four hours a day (at least four of those sessions are before/after our school day). We are just now getting back into the groove of school. Fortunately we are in Virginia where we don't have to show progress, just do testing at the end of the year, and my kiddos were ahead of the game a bit when we started, so I don't think we'll have too much trouble with that.

Anyway, all of this is to say that I've learned a few survival strategies. Heaven forfend your new wee one turn your lives upside down the way ours has, but in any case, here's what I learned:

--balanced meals don't have to be in three chunks in the day. Frequently I will put out healthy nibbles (veggie sticks, whole grain crackers, cheese, fruit) in an all day spread where the older three can grab them as they need.

--you can get a lot done in terms of read alouds, memorization, etc. sitting with a baby in your lap (or attached to a pump). It just takes a little planning in terms of having your materials within reach.

--babywearing, babywearing, babywearing. Also, babywearing. When my little guy isn't eating, he's in a wrap or the Ergo. He can sleep there and I have my hands free to work with the other kiddos.

--another poster mentioned cosleeping. Everybody's experience is different, but with my older three kids, we coslept and nursed side lying throughout the night, and I found it much more restful than this hauling myself out of bed to pump/give bottles business. I'm a big fan.

--the most important thing I've been forced to accept is that nothing is the end of the world. There is no disruption in plans that must mean the end of everything. Just getting through the next five minutes is sometimes all I can do, but it always turns out to be enough.

My baby is 6wks. Homeschooling has not been what I hoped since he was born (nor for most of the year with my morning *eh hem* all day sicknes). Days have been missed. While subjects have been put on the back burner. I'm just now feeling able to get back in the groove. My husband had knee surgery 2 wks after I had my son. Somedays that's a big help cause he's home and can help with schooling. In someways it's worse. I love my husband, don't get me wrong, but being his nurse on top of caring for a newborn AND trying to homeschool and care for two other children 2wks pp nearly did me in. My kids have done a lot if workbook work and reviewing. I had put together a weeks worth of work for them prior to having the baby. I should have put together 6-8wks of work!!

Thanks for all the input. This is actually my 3rd newborn while homeschooling, but the first one was adoption and the very beginning of our journey. He was a good baby. Content to swing or sit for awhile. My first bio was rough. It took me a few months to get back into the swing of things. She was a bit high maintenance and did not like to be put down. By the time I'd get her down for her naps I was exhausted. She's sitting her now asking questions about what I'm typing, LOL. I don't know what it will be like with this guy. I just know with a middle schooler and a high schooler I can't afford to take all that time off again.

I'm reading through all of your responses and I really appreciate them.

I agree! I was so worried on schooling with a newborn.. ds was born in August. I'm telling you.. I wish I would have done more in the earlier months before the crawling, etc. I thought I was "stressed" then but trying to school now when he can CLIMB....UP THE STEPS? Yeah... its interesting :)

Ahh, okay reading your latest comment, you have done this before :) I would imagine with high schoolers it will all get done. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery and healthy baby! Congrats.

I think it would be perfectly fine to have your older girls help your 6yo with phonics and do some science experiments. I just saw all-in-one science kits at Timberdoodle that are reasonable and look easy enough for an older child to implement independently, and I bet they'd provide a pretty good science education in and of themselves.

You can check work from the couch. Your older 3 are plenty old enough that they should be able to do much of their work independently. You already have them in an independent program (CLE) so that is good.

It won't hurt their education for the olders to keep plugging along in their CLE work and for your youngers to do some experiments and listen to audiobooks for a few months. That should be easy enough. Best wishes!

New babies always throw a kink into school schedules, but it's totally doable! Just take it one day at a time. I am pretty much a few months ahead of where you are (so to speak...baby #7 was born 4 months ago) and while we've had to readjust some things, and even blow off a few days when it was just too much to handle, we are making it through. I focused on my oldest dd's (highschoolers), making sure they had a time block specified for their work (usually at different time so one was working while the other was helping with housework or the little kids). I found that if they knew they would have time to get their studies done, then they were much more willing to help w ith other things. As for my younger ones...it was day to day...sometimes we got it done, sometimes not. I tried to focus on math and LA and let history & science slide a bit (but we usually got some of each done each week because it is so relaxing to veg out and read!). Things started smoothing out, and everyone pretty much adjusted to the "newborn" school schedule after the first couple months. It's not easy, but you know that, but it is doable. Hang in there momma...there's a lot of great support, encouragement & advice on this board!!! These people have gotten me through some pretty rough times! Oh, and congratulations on your new lil one!!!

My #6 baby is 6 months old. I thought I was going to take a month off schooling, but found that after 2wks, I was more than ready to start again. I had a very easy time HS'ing when he was a newborn. I would nurse at the table or couch while helping them. It a little harder with an older baby who is crawling and wiggly and distractable while nursing. But, he naps better, so....it might be a wash. Anyway, for me, I find HS'ing with a baby/newborn to be much easier than doing it with my twin 3 year olds around. LOL! I needed more time before the birth than after because my pregnancy was rough. But, I would be flexible. If you aren't up to doing it, then don't. If you are, then keep at it. Either way is completely normal and acceptable. Congratulations!!

It totally depends on the baby. I was pretty new to schooling when dd#2 was born and it was easy peasy we just spent a lot of time on the couch reading together and such. This year I started our schooling early and planned for a break. Well, this baby does not sleep as well so although we started back up fairly quick and have gotten back on track and such it was much more difficult to do so then it was with the last baby.

It totally depends on the baby. I was pretty new to schooling when dd#2 was born and it was easy peasy we just spent a lot of time on the couch reading together and such. This year I started our schooling early and planned for a break. Well, this baby does not sleep as well so although we started back up fairly quick and have gotten back on track and such it was much more difficult to do so then it was with the last baby.

Totally depends on the baby!

JMHO - I am NAK with my 4mo presently. ;)

Clear everything possible off of your plate before baby comes. If schooling is that urgent, plan now how to delegate meals/chores/etc... Post-pone everything that can wait until baby is 6mo. Jumping back into life too suddenly after a birth is recipe for disaster.

I've had easy births and difficult ones. After baby #3, I was feeling back to normal within days. After baby #4, I literally had to work hard just to care for baby and myself (emergency c/s) for weeks....she's 4mo and I am still sore at the incision site. My big 3 did Time4Learning to fulfill state requirements for several weeks and we eased back into a semi-normal routine slowly.

It's possible, but plan to rest and heal.

Clear everything possible off of your plate before baby comes. If schooling is that urgent, plan now how to delegate meals/chores/etc... Post-pone everything that can wait until baby is 6mo. Jumping back into life too suddenly after a birth is recipe for disaster.

I've had easy births and difficult ones. After baby #3, I was feeling back to normal within days. After baby #4, I literally had to work hard just to care for baby and myself (emergency c/s) for weeks....she's 4mo and I am still sore at the incision site. My big 3 did Time4Learning to fulfill state requirements for several weeks and we eased back into a semi-normal routine slowly.

It's possible, but plan to rest and heal.

Ironically my healing was the second easiest of my 4 this time BUT she is my second worst sleeper and second moodiest/fussiest baby. She is/was often not just content to be held but want/wanted to be moving and not just bouncing or rocking but walking around with you. I prioritized what needed to be done and the kids pitched in and I had to be efficient with my time. I bought a swing as well, which I hadn't used or needed with the last two, but was AWESOME with this one. The swing enabled me to get so much more done as well as it would help her to sleep longer, although she only tolerates it when sleeping.

She is 5.5 months now and things are definitely easier. I am so anxious for her to be crawling though as I suspect that will make her much happier (as it did with ds1 with whom she seems to share much in common). Babies are so different in their personalities though. I do find it easier to organize and prioritize now that I'm on baby #4 but it also feels much more tiring at times as well. Although, with #1 I felt like a half-dead zombie for at least 6 months so compared to that I'm doing very well. The house is reasonably clean, we eat decent meals (although generally very, very simple for the time being) and we get our schooling done. I've decluttered and decluttered time and time again though and the kids are trained pretty well. I've cut way back my outside the house responsibilities and the yard has looked pretty rough since mid pregnancy!

. My youngest son is working through Saxon Phonics 1 and Saxon Math 1 right now. Those are his time consuming subjects. I'm going to add in the other stuff in the fall when I have more time. He is also doing A Reason For Handwriting, but that is all him with just some correction from me occasionally.

We have evaluations for the two older girls in June (I'm pushing it to the end and crossing my fingers there will be no repercussions!) I have evaluations for my other three students in September.

I'm really only asking them to do LA and Math. I will continue to check it and review with them before tests/quizzes and try to help them when they need help.

Can I ask my older girls to help Jonathan with his math and phonics for a few weeks? I would be around to help and supervise, but they would be doing a lot of the work.

It probably takes him and I about an hour to do those two subjects.

I thought about for something fun doing some read alouds with them all and adding in some fun literature activities that I let the older girls plan. What about some science experiments that the older girls help the younger three with?

Dh can help some, but he does work a weird schedule and we do have toddler...

Ages of your children:

Karly 15

Kelsie 12

Tamara 11

Adrian 9

Jonathan 6

Lily Grace 2

I had to cut and paste your kiddos so I could respond. :) (We have a 17yo, a 14yo, an 11yo, a 9yo, an 8yo, a 6yo, a 4yo, a 3yo, a 21mo, and a newborn.)

We just had a little one at the end of March. She'll be one month on the 30th.

I have found it is easier to do light school than to do no school after the birth of the baby. Our situation was a little complicated by a two week vacation in the NICU, but for the most part, it's been pretty easy.

Something to think about: Get a MOBY. Specifically a Moby. Some have mentioned various carriers and I'm a carrier addict. Don't do a sling with a newborn. There are risks associated with it, serious risks. Other carriers like SSCs (think Ergo) or mei tais, etc. don't "bundle" a newborn quite the same and a non stretchy wrap has a learning curve. Go with a Moby and while I don't love them after the first few months, you can pick up one used on Craigslist or the BabyWearer forums for about $20-$30. They snuggle baby in his womb position next to your chest and help them rest. If you've ever had a preemie then you know how important it is to have skin to skin contact for their development and the Moby really helps you mimic this. Baby sleeps better, grows better, develops better.... And, as a perk, you get your two hands, functionality, and you feel good about multi-tasking while baby is NOT in the swing, or the seat, etc., etc.

I am going to assume that Karly and Kelsie are probably pretty independent at this point?

I have three "first graders" this year. Sarah (4.5), Tim (8), and Abbie (6.5) are all at the mid-phonics level of a late first grader. They get one on one phonics time with me. It is pretty easy to have them read aloud while I nurse. It's fairly simple to sit down in front of the magnet board and play with tiles while I nurse. It is okay to have them work on workbook beside me while I... wait for it... Nurse again. :p :) It is a little complicated with a toddler. (We also have a 3yo and a 22 mo.) But the more intense one/one times can wait until naptime too. A 6yo doesn't need a lot of "sit down, be still, and be focused" time. If you had twenty minutes in the AM, a half hour at naptime, and a half hour with Daddy at night, you'd be doing more than enough with him.

I'm going to put this out there:

If your oldest two have evaluations and you feel they are not on par, that's where the focus NEEDS to be.

So what if your six year old does the bare minimum or NO school for three months? Or six? It will have no effect on him. The only reason I "do" school with that set of three at this point is simply busy-work to keep them out of mischief. That's it, not at all because they *need* it. They don't.

Now, there are perks to having your oldest daughters doing school. I'd save them for grammar work with the 11yo and 9yo simply because it would actually reinforce THEIR schoolwork. The difference between a 12yo and a 9yo grammar program is minimal and you would find that the 12yo would probably great benefit from the review of teaching to the 9yo.

I would *not* take much time from the 15yo but that is the dynamic in our house. Our oldest stays very on task and it would stress her out if she was behind or not accomplishing what she needed to do during the day and had tests coming up. She *does* teach music and science in our house. However, it is a flexible schedule and we flex it based on what she needs to accomplish. There is *NO* problem at all with the two of them pitching in as long as it doesn't interfere with what she needs to get done. Because, again, at the end of the day, the 6yo and even the 9yo really aren't going to be "behind" if they don't do school for a few months.

Sit down with water, nurse, nurse, nurse.

Keep the toddler near you as that's the best supervision and you won't have to wear yourself out cleaning up messes and chaos.

Read.

Read.

Read.

Reading aloud is one of the best things you can do for your kiddos anyway so I would plan some read aloud chapter books for the 2yo, 6yo, and 9yo. Now would be a good time to "train" the 2yo to play near you on a blanket while you read. If she doesn't take regular naps, take the time to get her on a naptime schedule now so that YOU can nap. If your 6yo doesn't nap, then I would take the time to teach him to be quiet in his room listening to books on tape and playing with Legos during naptime NOW. My naptime is comprised of phonics and a nap. :) Curl up with the newborn and sleep and recover. Drink a lot of water. Read aloud. This is school. You have my permission to "count" it as such. :D

I have a nearly-6-month old, who was born in the midst of the school year, in November. I only have a first grader officially schooling, so that is good in the sense that I only have had her to consider academically this year, but hard in that she needs me beside her for almost everything. Having older kids who can do more work I'm their own is a bonus.

I also have a 3yr old and 2 yr old.

For the school that I needed to teach or supervise, we took about 3 weeks off. She continued to read in her own, even during the break. When we started back, I taught the necessities (math, writing, co-op) and she read.

It was easier than I thought. This baby is VERY easy compared to my other kids. (Ds1 was adopted as a toddler, so no baby months to compare for him).

I'm more nervous about this coming year, when he is crawling and walking!