Menu

Who here knows anything about trees? Help me...

Joker

Our builders put in three Bradford Pear trees and we hate them. It seems as if they may dead. The one in the front definitely was so we dug it up, but now we want (and have to per HOA rules) replace it. With what??? I know nothing about trees or gardening. We have beautiful bushes that have done well but that was just luck.

We're in zone 9 (in FL) and want something easy to maintain. My dds are really wanting fruit trees but I think they may be difficult, so if I'm wrong please let me know an easy one.

Loquat trees do beautifully here (I'm in zone 9b, in FL). They are one of the few fruit trees I've been able to grow successfully on neglect. ;) They can take the heat, are frost resistant, and when we started we started watering ours last year (after 2 or 3 years with no irrigation), it put on a growth spurt. Loquats are little orange-colored fruits that taste a little like a cross of a plum and an apricot.

I've never heard of the loquat. I'll see if they have them around here. After all the researching I've been doing, I have this sudden urge to go landscaping crazy. Dh is not amused. :D

Anyone planted and done well with an Anna or Dorsett apple tree?

First, check with your HOA to see if there is a list of acceptable trees. You don't want to get something planted only to find out it isn't allowed.

When one of ours got taken out by lightening we went to a local nursery to look around. The owner volunteered to come out and see our yard and the spot the tree was going and then he recommended a few to choose from based on the size of our yard, type of soil, drainage, etc.. Maybe someone in your area would do the same?

Me again...I've planted both. And they kept getting attacked by aphids. Probably because they were stressed (from previously mentioned neglect). I would spray the aphids every so often, but the trees kept getting smaller and smaller. By the time I pulled them out (after 2 or 3 years) their root balls were about 5 inches across. I've heard good things about those breeds of apple trees for this zone. But apple trees still require a lot of TLC.

Here's a photo of a full-grown loquat tree and its fruit. http://www.phoenixtropicals.com/bertosLoquat.html

Mine's still only 6-7 feet tall and produced it's first good crop this year.