Menu

Ebay sale, shirt needs mending..what's fair?

KatieJ

shirt was listed as used, pre owned but no defects. It was, except for a hole in the side seam. NOrmally it would be just a matter of sewing it up, but it's by the hem, and it's a vented hem ( 4 inch openings at the bottom of the side seam) so I will have to removed that hem, fix the seam and then put hem back in. Presuming I have the right color thread. If not, I will have to take the whole hem out, cuz that's how I fix things. It must match.

I paid 10.00 plus 5.00 SH. Seller offered me 1.49 or 15% of the sale price. She said she would have fixed it had she known about it, so that was all she was going to offer. I was thinking it will take me 15 - 30 mins to fix it, plus thread, etc.

I like the shirt and am more than competant to fix it. But it was listed as in perfect condition.

What is fair here?

Tell her you want to return the damaged shirt at her expense. If she won't accept the return, file a complaint with eBay. The item was not as described, and that's an eBay No-No.

Does she realize how much repair work is involved?

:iagree: exactly.

Tell her you want to return the damaged shirt at her expense. If she won't accept the return, file a complaint with eBay. The item was not as described, and that's an eBay No-No.

This. You bought it on the condition there were no defects. I can't imagine spending 15 bucks for a shirt that needs repairing, unless it were worth many times that amount. What if you were not able to repair it yourself? It would be useless to you.

I know doing a repair like that would likely take me 30 minutes. Is she valuing your time at $3 an hour?

Well, I can tell her that I want to return it, but I like the shirt. It's worth about 3 times what I paid for it.

Yes, my time as a skilled seamstress is worth much more than 3.00 an hour. So let's say I charge 15.00 an hour and this will take me up to half an hour plus I have to have thread. 5.00 would be more than fair or she gets it back?

Her ad says buyer has to pay return shipping, but as I understand it, Ebay/paypal won't let her do that.

I would rather keep the gosh darn thing than have to pay to ship it back.

and yes, to someone who can't sew, they would be returning it.

If the item is not as described (take pics just in case) then yes, ebay will make her pay the return shipping. It can also happen that she refuses to accept delivery (happened only once to me), so if you REALLY like it, I would make her that offer: 30 mins of seamstress work (you don't have to specify that you will be the seamstress).

Ask yourself, would you have bought it in that condition for $10? If the answer is yes and you'll be happy, then make her the offer.

Well, I can tell her that I want to return it, but I like the shirt. It's worth about 3 times what I paid for it.

Yes, my time as a skilled seamstress is worth much more than 3.00 an hour. So let's say I charge 15.00 an hour and this will take me up to half an hour plus I have to have thread. 5.00 would be more than fair or she gets it back?

Her ad says buyer has to pay return shipping, but as I understand it, Ebay/paypal won't let her do that.

I would rather keep the gosh darn thing than have to pay to ship it back.

and yes, to someone who can't sew, they would be returning it.

Get a professional estimate for repair. Give seller the option of crediting that amount or accepting a return with seller paid shipping.

Or just eat the cost and do it yourself.

What do *you* think is fair?

Is she an experienced seller or a newish seller?

Experienced. Still not sure why these "experienced" sellers think they can get away with telling the buyer they will have to pay return shipping when it is against ebay policy. I guess they get away with it with new buyers.

I will not be bulied. I know how to file a complaint and I will.

But I like the shirt.

Get a professional estimate for repair. Give seller the option of crediting that amount or accepting a return with seller paid shipping.

Or just eat the cost and do it yourself.

What do *you* think is fair?

I think I would have been happy if she had said 3.00, but not 1.49 and I have to pay return shipping.

If I have to buy thread, ( I might have the right color, haven't checked) it will be at last 1.49.

Oh well, I get my self into these things, I will have to get myself out.

I think I would have been happy if she had said 3.00, but not 1.49 and I have to pay return shipping.

If I have to buy thread, ( I might have the right color, haven't checked) it will be at last 1.49.

Make no mistake. I am on your side. It would have been different if the problem were easily remedied locally. As in "Here, take it back and fix it." Shipping costs change the story dramatically. I assume you are a nice person and would be horrified to find out you sold something as "perfect" condition, only to find out it was not. You would gladly eat the entire selling price to make it right, right? So would I. Apparently, the seller feels otherwise. For all we know, she is an EBay professional, buying name brand things cheaply at yard and consignment sales only to turn around sell them for higher prices on eBay.

If I were willing to part with the shirt, I would call her bluff and file a complaint if necessary. If not, I would make one attempt to negotiate a $3 price reduction, then be done with it.

Make no mistake. I am on your side.

Thank you.

It would have been different if the problem were easily remedied locally. As in "Here, take it back and fix it." Shipping costs change the story dramatically.

Exactly.

I assume you are a nice person and would be horrified to find out you sold something as "perfect" condition, only to find out it was not. You would gladly eat the entire selling price to make it right, right?

Absolutely.

So would I. Apparently, the seller feels otherwise. For all we know, she is an EBay professional, buying name brand things cheaply at yard and consignment sales only to turn around sell them for higher prices on eBay.

If you really want to keep the shirt, I'd not put up too much of a fuss over $1.50 and just leave her a not-so-positive feedback. Include in the comments seller expected you to pay return shipping for a defective garment.

If you're willing to part with the shirt, I'd file a complaint.

Seller response is thru Ebay ( I contacted her thru ebay, and I have a complaint number)..she says she will refund after I return item, but she will not pay for the return shipping. Ebay doesn't force them to pay return shipping . Maybe paypal does?

I used my AMEX card, i will file with them. Or just drop it and let it go. I will not spend money to return it. THat lets her get away with it totally. I can fix it.

You also might want to factor in how much of your valuable time is worth expending in getting $5 back on a shirt that you really don't want to lose that's worth three times the price you paid. If you're short on time, it might be best to just fix the darn shirt and ding the seller. If you pursue it through a claim, the seller could request you return the shirt and her cost and then you'll have to follow through.

I'd leave feedback and fix it. A $1.50 difference isn't worth more effort and it seems you like the shirt and got a good deal even after repairs. You have e dry right to return it, but it does seem easier to repair it and move on.

This is what I would do. The shirt was not received in the condition in which it was listed so I would expect her to take the return and refund my money.

I am moving on. I closed the complaint when they expected me to mail it back at my expense. Nope, I will fix it and move on.

And yes, she will have a comment from me. Apparently does not require the seller to pay for return postage.