Menu

a gross question

ProudGrandma

my son threw up 2 nights ago in his room on his carpet and no matter what I try to do, I can't get the stink or the stain removed. I just recently put baking soda on the spot, thinking I would vacuum it later...but then I thought...maybe that wasn't a good idea...I don't want the germs in my vacuum and then spread that all over the house...

what I have tried:

initially (in the middle of the night): wiped up mess and sprayed with lysol

the next day: carpet cleaner, disinfectant, more lysol

today: baking soda and more lysol

what should I do????

so put the vinegar where then?? I relly don't even care if the stain stays...just need to remove the smell...I was thinking bleach even...just didn't know. I don't have Bac out and have no way of getting it...at least not right now.

If the vomit had a lot of foodbased to it, vinegar can make it smell worse to me. Soap.com has the best price on bac out right now. They also have free shipping.

I don't have Bac out and have no way of getting it...at least not right now.

Nature's Miracle is a similar product sold in the pet section of supermarkets.

Oh! I can totally relate! We had all 3 of our children vomiting at the same time a few months ago. It was a nightmare. In the middle of the night, our son sat with us on the couch for a minute, then said he was going to go back to bed. He sat up and it just went everywhere. He said he had no idea he was going to throw up! It was the nastiest thing ever. The couch and our living room floor was destroyed. Our middle child started the same pattern about an hour later, but we were able to at least get it under control, so they weren't doing this on the carpet! The next day our youngest had it. We've never experienced a bug like this that had zero warning signs!

I used vinegar immediately. I didn't know it "sets" stains! I use it for everything! I scrubbed and scrubbed, and then sprinkled an entire box of baking soda on the floor. It was just awful. I was so bothered by it, that I got an enzyme cleaner from the pets section at the store. It helped a little bit, but not enough. I seriously just spent those few days scrubbing the floor with vinegar. I eventually got it all cleaned up, and the stains are gone, the smell is gone, but it's all a blur to me now! The couch was easily saved, it's that microfiber material, so vinegar did the trick, so simple, doesn't stain, and no smell left over!

I hope you get it up! I'm so sorry, just know you're not alone, I feel for those who have this experience!!!

Hire a good carpet steam cleaning company (you want one that is truck mounted). They can get (almost) ANYTHING out, and the heat is going to kill the germs. And it's really quite affordable. I got 5 complete rooms steam cleaned for around $200. One room would be less, I would assume, but it's nice to get all the carpets done if you can swing it. They feel soooo nice once they dry, and other than treatment for spot stains, it's just water, no chemicals!

the carpet is really just a piece of junk...but I have no intention of getting new until my boys (who destroy everything) grow up...so the stain just matches all of the other stains...it's the germs and smell I was moslty worried about...since using bleach water, the smell has gone...and I can only hope so are the germs.

But nobody else has gotten sick, I think we are good.

Kathy