Menu

Low carbers - can you help me?

Truscifi

I have andouille sausage thawed for dinner. In the past I would cook it with some vegetables and serve it with rice, or make jambalaya, also with rice. I can't seem to think of anything for it that doesn't involve rice. I'm sure there are lots of options, my brain is just stuck I think. Help, please!

Have you ever made cauli-rice? Really easy if you have a food processor. Squeeze as much extra water out as you can. Here's a rough idea of how to do it: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/faux_rice.html

The andouille would be great just over cauli rice, or you can mix the cauli rice and sausage (would be good with some tomato sauce or paste and seasonings) and use it to make stuffed pepper.

I have andouille sausage thawed for dinner. In the past I would cook it with some vegetables and serve it with rice, or make jambalaya, also with rice. I can't seem to think of anything for it that doesn't involve rice. I'm sure there are lots of options, my brain is just stuck I think. Help, please!

Take out your serving of sausage and veggies, serve the rest with rice for the family.

Dh is actually low carb too. Ds is the only carber in the house right now, and he eats what we eat at dinner and just carbs up at other meals. I tried the cauli-rice and dh said it was tolerable. That's high praise from him for something involving cauliflower, lol. I thought it was very tasty though. I didn't even think about using it with eggs, though we do frittatas often enough. That would have been good too!

If you go cauliflower again, you might try steaming it, then mashing it together with a package of cream cheese. Makes a very creamy mashed-potato-like side.

Erica in OR

I'll have to try this. Thank you!

To the OP, (I feel like I'm cd stuck on repeat, I've said this so many times!) there's no need for a third thing. Veggies and meat. Voila! Very easy. You really do get used to this. :)

Here's a lc recipe I came across over the weekend:

Yankee Jambalaya

5 net carbs per serving, four servings smile_2011.GIF

Bacon, 3 strips, cut into small pieces (aka lardons!)

2 tbsp water

1 tbsp butter

1/2 of an onion, chopped (I used a spring onion I used from my CSA box)

Garlic, 3 – 4 cloves

Bell pepper (I chose yellow), chopped into small pieces

Chicken broth, one cup

Tomato paste, 2 tbsp

12 shrimp, cut in half (mine were frozen and pre cooked/shelled)

3 sausages, cut into slices

Tony Cachere’s original creole seasoning

Smoked paprika red pepper

Directions:

1. In low-medium heat pan, render down the lardons to release all that yummy bacon fat

2. Add in the water, butter and onions – sautee/simmer until onions become transparenty

–raise to medium high heat–

3. Dump in garlic, bell pepper, broth, and tomato paste and let meld, few dashes of the creole seasoning & smoked paprika (be light handed if you don’t like it too spicy)

4. Add in the shrimp and sausage – let it all simmer for about ten minutes – spice to taste with more creole seasoning (and more smoked paprika if you want more of a kick)

DO NOT SALT, there is plenty of salt in the creole seasoning.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com