Menu

NYDJ - oh, the smell! Are they all like this?

Spryte

I recently bought a pair of these jeans, based on some rave reviews here.

They are nice jeans, not my usual jeans, but I can definitely see wearing them. If they were petites, I'd probably like them more (curse of the shorties!).

But...

They stink!

I noticed it when I pulled them out of the box (ordered from Amazon), so I washed them. Still smelled. Washed them again. Still smelled, and this time everything in the load with them smelled, too. Seriously, I opened the dryer door and the smell hit me like a ton of bricks. I had to rewash everything in the load.

I am wearing the jeans today, thinking the smell might have been in my head, but no kidding, it's like I'm walking around in a cloud of ... fumes. It's making me nauseas, and I'm going to take them off and try washing yet again.

Are they all like this? Is it only this pair? They are a dark, almost black color. Sort of stretchy.

Anyone else have this happen? Any advice?

If I can't get rid of the odor, these will be thrown in the freecycling bag.

I agree. Definitely send them back.

*and I am definitely, utterly not being influenced by that episode of House in which a teen was poisoned by a new pair of jeans...because that would be silly...*

Aaack! I missed that one!

They smell like something synthetic. I don't know what to call it. I just read some reviews on Amazon, and some people have experienced the same thing - they say it smells like Diesel fuel. I don't know what that smells like exactly, but this could be it.

Maybe I'll try the vinegar one time, just to see what happens.

This is the most bizarre thing!

Aaack! I missed that one!

They smell like something synthetic. I don't know what to call it. I just read some reviews on Amazon, and some people have experienced the same thing - they say it smells like Diesel fuel. I don't know what that smells like exactly, but this could be it.

Maybe I'll try the vinegar one time, just to see what happens.

This is the most bizarre thing!

It's a petroleum smell, I think. I've had non-clothing items come that way. I wouldn't try again, I'd send them back. I would also question if they are authentic because It seems to me I remember something about fake brand jeans and that odor. Yes, I did see that episode of House too, which I thought of when reading your first post.

I've had the same thing happen to me with 3 different pairs of jeans. There were all inexpensive jeans - one pair from Dress Barn and two from Kohls.

The pair from Dress Barn went in the trash after I could NOT get rid of the smell even after several washings. I kept the Kohls jeans because the smell went away after I washed them 3 or 4 times.

We had a rug like that. It smelled no matter how many times we had it cleaned.

We own a flooring store and none of the other products from that company ever gave us trouble. It was very weird.

I had to send it back. The manufacturer said they had no idea what was making it smell so strong.

I've noticed there's something about some dark-dyed denims that smells off (like sulfur). I've read about it in online reviews as well. At first I thought it was just cheap stuff, but I've noticed it on clothes I buy at more expensive places too.

ETA: I Googled this problem and came up with a few quick links with suggestions to help get rid of the smell--the most common one was to wash in vinegar.

[sigh] ...I can't seem to figure out whether I can return them or not. Blech! ...They've been washed multiple times now, trying to get the smell out, and I don't have any of the original packaging (didn't think I'd need to save it, as I'd washed them). I might just eat the cost on this, which is a bummer, but won't break the bank.

What a weird experience!

It won't hurt to ask about returning a defective item, even without the packaging. Many vendors will take a return from an unhappy customer to avoid negative reviews.

You ladies are all absolutely right. It won't hurt to ask. I emailed Amazon, and we'll see what they say. Thanks for the encouragement!

• 4 months later...
Guest marciabrdy

I have tried every concoction I have read out there. Finally I got some Rit color remover. Followed directions in the washer and rewashed afterwards. Smell is gone.AND it did NOT fade the jeans. They were Calvin Klein stretch but the color remained the same. I figured after all I did,  if it ruined them they would be trash. Surprisingly it just removed the odor. I stay away from buying jeans that are dark in color and some stores you can smell it . But I did not notice it with these....at first. 

While doing it, the odor is STRONG in the washer. :hurray:  But now, we are back to normal and I got to keep my pants