Menu

What's Your 10 YO boy reading?

Meljoy

Sorry to copy Kim in Ga but you inspired me!

My 10YO is does NOT love to read. He is a good reader -mechanics and comprehension, and loves for me to read to him... he just will not willing pick up a book himself. By this age I would love to say read this book and him come tell me in a few days he is done but unless I map out so many pages a day ect he never finishes a book.

He loves American history, Narnia, boys adventure. I need to make a reading list for this year.

Any suggestions?????

Chronicles of Narnia, abridged classics, we do a ton of full length classics on audio- He did Huck Finn, Around the World in 80, 20,000 Leagues etc. I do the harder books on Audio, and ease up a little on the read alouds so he doesn't suffer....He doesn't like to sit down and read because it is labor intensive. He just turned 11 this summer!

Sorry to copy Kim in Ga but you inspired me!

My 10YO is does NOT love to read. He is a good reader -mechanics and comprehension, and loves for me to read to him... he just will not willing pick up a book himself. By this age I would love to say read this book and him come tell me in a few days he is done but unless I map out so many pages a day ect he never finishes a book.

He loves American history, Narnia, boys adventure. I need to make a reading list for this year.

Any suggestions?????

My just turned 11yods is dyslexic, so learning to read was a long hard slog for him. He's become a pretty enthusiastic reader these past 2 years. One strategy I've used is to pick a non-school related read aloud, chosen purely to hook him, and do a read aloud before bedtime, but only do one chapter, and forget to read some nights.

I assign him more "serious" books for school reading and don't necessarily expect that he'll pick them up on his own for his free reading, although sometimes he does.

He's loved The Percy Jackson series, the Rangers Apprentice series, The Mysterious Benedict Society (2 books, so far) and the Pendragon series. After my reading the first book or part of the first book in these series aloud, he's gone on to read all the others himself.

HTH, Stacy

My son just finished reading Flaming Arrows. My son was reading the boxcar children like crazy before this. He was way behind in reading until he started reading The Boxcar Children. Now he is at about of above grade level and seeing him read a book like Flaming Arrows it a dream. I thought the day would never come :)

My ds has been reading everything in sight and loves to read. I thought I would suggest some that got him into it a little.

He loved the Hank the Cowdog series, anything to do with Star Wars ( I know not the best in some people's opinions, but if it gets them reading it is worth it!), landmark history books, and the Dinotopia series. After he became more confident he loved/loves the Redwall series. There are more but I am too lazy to go look.

I'm surprised by how many of these titles are in the "young adult" section at my library! My ds will be 10 in a few weeks. He's a great reader, but it's not something he enjoys. He prefers NF to fiction when reading to himself. He will sometimes surprise me, however, reading the last Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings. But that's definitely not the norm.

My challenge is finding something he enjoys. I'm also trying to balance out *my* love of reading, as dd and I could read all day long...

Good thread, and I'm looking for some of these recommendations at my library.

:lurk5:

The Enormous Crocodile, Fantastic Mr. Fox and Matilda, in particular. He read through all the Series of Unfortunate Events, Narnia and Lord of the Rings. The whole family simply loved the Harry Potter series. He'll read anything about dinosaurs or dragons.

My secret to getting him to read is to get the audio CD and play it in the car. I always have the corresponding book on hand so that when he gets out of the car, he'll pick up where the audio cd left off and usually read the entire book. We also listen to the audio cds so that 6 yr old ds is not left out of whatever discussion we're having on the book.

HTH,

Sandra

The Ranger's Apprentice (4 in the series so far), John Flanagan

The Underland Chronicles (5 in the series so far), Suzanne Collins

Keys to the Kingdom (6 so far), Garth Nix

The Seventh Tower (6 so far), Garth Nix

David Rain's Dragon series (3 so far), Chris D'Lacey

Percy Jackson and the Olympians (4 so far), Rick Riordan

Ghost in the Tokaido Inn/Demon in the Teahouse, etc. (4 so far?), Dorothy and Thomas Hoobler

The Squire's Tales (6-8 in the series, I think, Gerarld Morris

He's a really avid reader, though. So, I don't know how typical these are for a 10-year-old boy.

Other things he enjoyed in the previous year or two were:

Myth-O-Mania (series of 8), Kate McMullan

Guardians of G'Hoole (I lost count somewhere around 13), Kathryn Lasky

Tale of Desperaux, Kate DiCamillo

The Magic Shop series (4 or 5), Bruce Coville

My Teacher is an Alien series (4 or 5), Bruce Coville

Tom Swift, Young Inventor series (These are the new, updated ones. I think there are 6 so far), Victor Appleton

Peter and the Starcatchers and the sequels, Dave Barry/Ridley Pearson

The Chronicles of Prydain, Lloyd Alexander

And, of course, Narnia and Harry Potter.