Menu

Kids and glasses/sunglasses

NotSoObvious

My dds have a pretty high prescription. They can't go long without their glasses or their eyes hurt. Or they run into walls. ;)

Their glasses are the polywhatever that is UV resistant.

BUT we are going to be at the lake and the beach this summer. Do any of you buy your kids prescription sunglasses? Do they wear regular sunglasses while they are by the water? Do they wear their regular glasses?

I'm trying to figure out what to buy. I suppose they wouldn't wear their regular glasses when they are in their suits, so maybe I should just buy them a pair of normal sunglasses?

Hmm.. I'd love to hear what you do, especially if you spend a lot of time outdoors.

I bought prescription sunglasses last summer for my 8 year old daughter who doesn't have a particularly strong prescription, but has a muscle problem in one eye such that even a couple waking hours without glasses will cause her eye to droop slightly. I wish I could say they were revolutionary in her life, but in truth she didn't wear them all that much and even then I felt like we were swapping glasses constantly . I think it was a nice option to have, but not an absolute necessity. YMMV widely! We live in Michigan and don't see the sun for months on end, so our 'sunglass season' is rather brief. If I lived in Florida or So Cal, I'm sure I'd feel differently.

Polycarbonate is a scratch-resistant coating, not something that is sufficient for the sun. We are Florida natives, and the sun is always out here, lol!

Options are transitions lenses, these change from dark to light based on the light. We like these the best. a few years ago, they look what seemed like for ever to "transition" but dd's new ones are great! Another option are clip on sunshades. I know there are several types/styles you can buy that would clip onto their regular glasses. I saw them at the optometrist/opthamologist. There was also another type that was magnetic, not clip on. That would require a metal frame or purchase of those that work together. You can also have them wear regular "bigger" sunglasses over their regular glasses. Those are all of the options that I am aware of. HTH!

FWIW, my dd's scrip is near +5, and she does not wear her glasses near the water, just regular sunglasses with UV coating. However, the opthmologist last month suggested something "more", something polarized for more protection for her eyes. We will be looking into that in a couple of weeks.

ETA: I just recalled that I have also seen goggles that are sunglasses. I saw them at the doc's office/glasses store as well.

A couple years ago we got dd the glasses with the magnetic clip-on sunglasses. They were really cute, but she often forgot about the sunglasses. Also, when the glasses get bent a bit, the sunglass part wouldn't stay on. If you are going to be out in the sun that much, I would get the Transitions lenses.

This is why I like zenni optical. We buy the kids prescription sunglasses from there every time they have a prescription change. They can choose whether they wear the sunglasses or their regular ones depending on the situation. When I pack a bag with beach towels, sunscreen, whatever, I throw in the sunglasses.

Ds has his regular glasses and prescription sunglasses. At our opto, the sunglasses were free for kids if in the same Rx as a pair of purchased regular glasses.

For a while, he had those sunglasses that go over your glasses, but they aren't great for an active kid. They don't really fit well. His previous glasses, though, had a clip on sunglasses piece that attached magnetically to the frame of the regular glasses. We couldn't find those again, though, or I would have bought those for him. I would really recommend looking for those types of frames in the future. They are great!

When I place my next Zenni order, I will get my son another pair of prescription sunglasses (just waiting on DH to finally go get a new prescription done). DS just has the hardest time keeping up with his clip on sunglasses, so I want a pair that I can tuck into my purse.

This year, I bought my kids Transitions lenses. I figured that would be easier than switching back and forth from regular glasses to sunglasses. I think I'm about ready to buy myself some now!

BTW, transitions lenses at Walmart are like $79 and if anything happens to the lenses or frames, they have a guarantee for a year, including 20 replacements if necessary. Walmart may not be great, but for glasses, it is really good for us. For less than $300, all my kids have glasses and sunglasses that are unlikely to get lost; and if they get broken, can be fixed or replaced free. So worth it for us.

costco, and some drugstores, have sunglasses that stretch to fit over regular glasses. they don't actually touch the lenses, so they won't scratch them.

the link is just a sample. they come in different sizes/shapes to fit your own glasses.

eta: I've had transitions twice. the first I was in jr high. they never go completely clear - there is always some tint. when you are out of the sun, it takes awhile to fade. they were also never as dark as actual sunglasses. I currently have transitions, and will not get them again.