Menu

PA School or become an SLP?

Ipsey

I'm looking for suggestions here :)

I'm going to take on a new career, and I'm having trouble deciding which route to go.

I have an M.A. and have been taking prerequisites that will suit both physicians assistant school and speech pathology graduate work.

I need to make a decision now. I have 4 classes left for either route I choose, but I need to get them done by December, so it's time to pick a path and go with it. (PS. I'm 37 right now)

Any suggestions?

The money is a lot better with being a PA, and I honestly think I'd enjoy it more. . . but I *know* I'll get into the SLP program for various reasons, and the PA school might be more of a challenge getting in. (I'm waiting to talk with an advisor.)

What says the hive?

Have you spent time observing/shadowing in either setting? I'm a physical therapist, and back when I applied to programs, they wanted a minimum # of hours documented before you could even apply. In high school, I observed with a PT working in a school setting, and then in an outpatient facility. In both cases, I had contact with the professionals I was shadowing for months or years. I think my program required 20 hrs of observation. Even if that's not a requirement, IMO, it makes you look like a more serious student, and may help with the admissions process. In addition, I would even recommend trying to observe in more than one setting. An SLP's role in a hospital is very different from an SLP working in a school. Working in early intervention with babies looks very different from working in a nursing home. I'd encourage you to try to observe in more than one setting. That also is beneficial as you will have already made professional contacts. You can ask the professionals about their experience with students from the program you are considering attending. I was able to get my professional program new internship slots at some of the sites where I volunteered because of the contacts I had made (most schools are always happy to have new places for students to do their internships).

Both will be rigorous, so I would not sell yourself short on one being easier to get into. I briefly considered switching into a PA program after my freshman year, but then decided against it. I ended up loving PT.

I would encourage you to actively shadow professionals in both fields, and preferably even in a few different settings. IMO it really does make a difference and could possibly help with admissions. I think both professions are great, but make sure you get a grasp of how each looks in different settings. When you intern you typically rotate through quite a few different settings (as a PT, I did 4 different internships: outpatient orthopedics, acute care/hospital, orthopedics/ergonomics in a facility on site at a large factory, and then a pediatric internship).

Have you spent time observing/shadowing in either setting? I'm a physical therapist, and back when I applied to programs, they wanted a minimum # of hours documented before you could even apply. In high school, I observed with a PT working in a school setting, and then in an outpatient facility. In both cases, I had contact with the professionals I was shadowing for months or years. I think my program required 20 hrs of observation. Even if that's not a requirement, IMO, it makes you look like a more serious student, and may help with the admissions process. In addition, I would even recommend trying to observe in more than one setting. An SLP's role in a hospital is very different from an SLP working in a school. Working in early intervention with babies looks very different from working in a nursing home. I'd encourage you to try to observe in more than one setting. That also is beneficial as you will have already made professional contacts. You can ask the professionals about their experience with students from the program you are considering attending. I was able to get my professional program new internship slots at some of the sites where I volunteered because of the contacts I had made (most schools are always happy to have new places for students to do their internships).

Both will be rigorous, so I would not sell yourself short on one being easier to get into. I briefly considered switching into a PA program after my freshman year, but then decided against it. I ended up loving PT.

I would encourage you to actively shadow professionals in both fields, and preferably even in a few different settings. IMO it really does make a difference and could possibly help with admissions. I think both professions are great, but make sure you get a grasp of how each looks in different settings. When you intern you typically rotate through quite a few different settings (as a PT, I did 4 different internships: outpatient orthopedics, acute care/hospital, orthopedics/ergonomics in a facility on site at a large factory, and then a pediatric internship).

Yes, I've done observation in both, and I'm about to set up some volunteering with PT (I'm not having much luck being able to secure anything with a PA), or more shadowing with an SLP (we don't have SLPA's in my state). I just have to decide on which.

I'm talking with friends in both fields. . . but I was hoping to open up to a broader array here on the board.

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Job shadow each! And, apply to both programs. It's more work but if you could decide based on where you get accepted, then there will be no doubting yourself for not trying.

If your state is PA friendly, it is a really great field. That said, SLP is a great field too. In my state they make close to what PAs make provided they work for a hospital or SLP practice. School SLP get a lot less, though some places the school district benefits are really exceptional and you get more days off during the year.

May I make one more suggestion since you are considering SLP and PA? have you considered audiology? It is something that many do not know about but generally in the same program as SLP. To me would be a great middle ground between the two professions you are considering, but with a potential income closer to a PA without some of the stress (rated one of the least stressful jobs this year, although I do disagree with that!).

However, where you could easily find many many SLP jobs in any area, I generally advise that you might need to move to a medium size city to find a good audiology job, a large city to find a great one.

Audiologist can work in private practice, hospitals, schools, or as I did, a large ENT practice.

I think you should choose whichever career you think you will enjoy the most, as long as you think the employment opportunities are going to be there for you when you're finished with your courses.

Obviously, if financial considerations are critical, then I think you should choose the one that will give you the best chance at finding steady work, and that will pay well.

So basically, I'm no help at all.

May I make one more suggestion since you are considering SLP and PA? have you considered audiology? It is something that many do not know about but generally in the same program as SLP. To me would be a great middle ground between the two professions you are considering, but with a potential income closer to a PA without some of the stress (rated one of the least stressful jobs this year, although I do disagree with that!).

However, where you could easily find many many SLP jobs in any area, I generally advise that you might need to move to a medium size city to find a good audiology job, a large city to find a great one.

Audiologist can work in private practice, hospitals, schools, or as I did, a large ENT practice.

One of my nieces is an audiologist, and I'd actually considered audiology when I began my prerequisites. Actually, I'm taking an audiology class right now. I hate it! It is one of my least favorite classes I've ever taken. :) So, that helped me count that one out! I do appreciate the idea though! :)

Plus, audiology if 4 years. SLP and PA are only 2. (Can you believe that?!)

One of my nieces is an audiologist, and I'd actually considered audiology when I began my prerequisites. Actually, I'm taking an audiology class right now. I hate it! It is one of my least favorite classes I've ever taken. :) So, that helped me count that one out! I do appreciate the idea though! :)

Plus, audiology if 4 years. SLP and PA are only 2. (Can you believe that?!)

Well if you hate the class it certainly answers the question! I wrongly assumed the AUD program and PA were about the same length. Audiology was only a masters level program when I went through (like SLP), now it is a doctorate. I thought a PA would be close to that.

Have you also check out being an occupational therapist? SLP jobs are very competitive here right now. I would go for what I enjoy more.

I work closely with the therapy practices in my area (with pediatrics). SLP appears to be the more common career choice. If I could go back in time, I would be an OT and have my pick of jobs here.