Menu

Trade green bean recipes, anyone?

I love my way of fixing green beans. And your family will love it too. I'll share it with you in exchange for your best green bean recipe.

Because although my family loves it, they've been getting pretty d@mn sick of it, the last dozen or so times I've made it.

So, here goes:

Lightly blanch the green beans in water that you're boiling anyway for some other use--rice or pasta or something. Get them out of the water in whatever way is most convenient (don't worry about draining them--a little extra water will be helpful, actually), and put them in a pan with a mongo pat of butter. (Told ya. Your family will love it.) Mince at least three, maybe five, cloves of garlic into the pan. Sautee around for three to ten minutes, depending on how much they need to be cooked and how firm your family can stand them. A good bit of bite is best, but you can go softer if you're cooking for a male or for anyone under 12 or over 65. Salt reasonably. Simple, tasty, perfect.

There. Wasn't that worth it? Trade me, baby!

I have done this with asparagus but not with green beans. I do plan on trying it with green beans though.

With asparagus, I cook it in boiling water for a bit (kind of blanching it I guess) and then rinse in cold water.

Toss with olive oil, soy sauce, garlic powder, pepper (and whatever else floats your boat). Put on a baking sheet and broil or just bake until desired point. (sorry, no real recipe -- I just wing it)

But they are delish this way. I always imagined green beans to be really good like this too.

Toss 'em in olive oil and grind sea salt all over 'em, then put 'em on a pan in the oven and roast at about 375 until they start to turn a little brown around the edges. (We actually like to let 'em go a little longer and get sorta crunchy). This releases a really nutty flavor in them, somehow and is my very most favorite way in the whole world to eat them (next to your way, LOL).....

Sarah my family loves that one too.

Here is a pickled bean recipe if you feel the need to store those babies away. It always gets rave reviews. I feels and tastes a little like salt and vinegar chips but no fat.

2 lbs green or purple beans (the purple ones lose their color)

1/4 cups plus 1 Tbls spoon Kosher salt

2 3/4 cups vinegar

2 1/4 cups water

2 jalapeno peppers

4 large cloves garlic

4 large sprigs of dill

Combine salt, vinegar and water in a large pot and boil.

Add dill, pepper and garlic in a sterilized wide mouthed jar evenly around 4 pint sized jars (give or take).

Pack beans in tightly, very tightly!

Ladel boiling vinegar mixture over beans leaving a 1/4 inch head space.

Tighten on two pieces lids and place in a boiling water bath for 10 mins.

Remove and let cool - listen for the pop.

Leave for two weeks to let the flavor develop.

They are great with candied almonds.

HTH!

Guest Katia

Sure! My family loves these:

Start with fresh green beans. Clean, snap and place in pot. Just cover with water. Add salt and pepper to taste, and scoop some bacon grease in there OR if you don't save bacon grease, cut-up some bacon into small pieces (four or five slices) and throw them in the pot.

Cook covered until soft. Can take several hours. I just put them on for the whole afternoon as you can't overcook green beans this way. They are supposed to be soft. Make sure to add water if the level goes down.

Yum! Best in the world!! And simple.

I love my way of fixing green beans. And your family will love it too. I'll share it with you in exchange for your best green bean recipe.

Because although my family loves it, they've been getting pretty d@mn sick of it, the last dozen or so times I've made it.

So, here goes:

Lightly blanch the green beans in water that you're boiling anyway for some other use--rice or pasta or something. Get them out of the water in whatever way is most convenient (don't worry about draining them--a little extra water will be helpful, actually), and put them in a pan with a mongo pat of butter. (Told ya. Your family will love it.) Mince at least three, maybe five, cloves of garlic into the pan. Sautee around for three to ten minutes, depending on how much they need to be cooked and how firm your family can stand them. A good bit of bite is best, but you can go softer if you're cooking for a male or for anyone under 12 or over 65. Salt reasonably. Simple, tasty, perfect.

There. Wasn't that worth it? Trade me, baby!

We prepare them the same way but use olive oil instead of butter and add slivered or sliced almonds. Yummo!

Growing up, my mom would open a can of green beans, put them in a pot, bring to boil, & serve. You salt your own.

Mil, otoh, drains the juice from the can, adds a BUNCH of mustard, brings that to a boil. Then adds green beans & serves. There may be some salt involved, I can't remember.

I *love* mil's green beans, but I fear...between the can & the mustard, they're not really up to board standards. I only post the "recipe" in case there's someone else out there like me, for whom opening a can, getting out the mustard, dirtying a pot, AND turning on the oven constitutes *actual* cooking. And that's a fancy side dish. You should see most nights. :blush::o

Steam until bright green and crunchy but still lightly cooked. Then sprinkle a little olive oil, a little soy sauce, some sesame seeds, and nutritional yeast over the top. Press in 2 cloves of garlic and stir. Serve immediately. I am guessing in a pot of green beans I put 1/2 T of olive oil and 1-2 tsp soy sauce, 1-2T of sesame seeds (buy them in bulk not in the spice section) and red star brand nutritional yeast is in the supplements section of the healthfood store or Whole foods.

Cook 2# green beans for 4-6 mins. Drain and cool down with cold water then pat dry.

Add 2 yellow peppers, chopped

Make a vinegrette from 1/3 red wine vinegar

3 tbls olive oil

1 med red onion thinly sliced

salt and pepper.

combine and serve.

It is delicious the next day chilled or reheated.

I also make Green beans or aspaaragus on the grill. Cover lightly with oil, salt and pepper. Put in a grill pan and grill for 5 mins.

Delicious!

My Cambodian friend told me to use green beans in this recipe:

*crush a few bay leaves and curry paste (red, green, panaang) in the bottom of a pan, stirring over med high heat to release the flavors of the spices

*throw some chicken breast, cut into thin strips, into the pot with enough coconut milk to keep it moistwhile cooking

*keep adding coconut milk, a little at a time, while the chicken cooks. Once it is cooked, add uncooked green beans (or long beans if you have them).

*Let the beans cook a bit, then add enough coconut milk to create your family's favorite gravy consistency. Heat through.

YUM!

Toss 'em in olive oil and grind sea salt all over 'em, then put 'em on a pan in the oven and roast at about 375 until they start to turn a little brown around the edges. (We actually like to let 'em go a little longer and get sorta crunchy). This releases a really nutty flavor in them, somehow and is my very most favorite way in the whole world to eat them (next to your way, LOL).....

Yep. That's my favorite way, too (but I just use normal salt). . . yumm.

A new, second favorite way is from a OAMC recipe on recipezaar.com "Seasoned Green Beans -- OAMC" It is absolutely yummy. It has displaced "peas and corn" as my stand-by veggie side dish.

Ingredients

Directions

1. combine everything in bowl, then place in freezer bag. leave cheese out, place in smaller bag. heat skillet to med-high and saute with 2 T water for about 8-10 min until all is bright tender. transfer to platter, sprinkle with cheese if desired.

2. OR.

3. roast on baking sheet 475 until browned, about 10 min., then add cheese if desired.

I make them the roasting way as I love roasted beans, but I will try to skillet way one of these days when I get bored.

This is best with shellouts (more mature green beans) but will work with regular green beans. The shellouts have a more robust flavor, unfortunately you have to raise your own beans to get them generally.

Place green beans in a crockpot with ham, bacon or other meat flavoring and cook for several hours. Don't overcook to the point the beans become mushy, but that takes a LOT of cooking. It's simple, flavorful and is great for taking to family dinners. You can do it on the stove top, probably allow one hour or so for cooking.

I can't believe no one has posted green bean bundles! Of course, it is more of a fall dish, but still my favorite.

GREEN BEAN BUNDLES

2 lbs. green beans

1 lb. bacon (15 slices partially cooked)

4 tbsp. butter

3 tbsp. packed brown sugar

Garlic powder & salt to taste

Red pepper slices or pimiento (optional)

Blanch green beans in salted boiling water for 5 minutes. Cool beans under running water. Wrap 1 slice of bacon around a bundle of 10 green beans. Place in shallow baking dish. Lay slice of red pepper or pimiento across each bundle. Pour melted butter over beans. Sprinkle with brown sugar, garlic powder and salt. Bake, uncovered, for 1/2 hour at 350 degrees.

I do not use peppers or pimentos.

Of course, my youngest dd will eat steamed beans with ranch like its candy. That is how we serve it most often.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Besides putting loads of them in pancit (the recipe for which I have already posted :-), they are good in a dish called African Rice Jollof.

In a large pot on the stove: Saute garlic, onion, some chopped cabbage, and 1 inch green bean pieces in a little oil. Add chopped tomatoes, a little diced ham, rice, enough water for the rice to absorb, salt, pepper, and a few shakes of cinnamon. Bring to a boil, stir, put the lid on the pot and turn the heat down to low, do not lift lid for 25 minutes.

I'm drooling over all these recipes :001_smile:

This is the way I like to serve green beans: Just steam fresh green beans to desired tenderness, then drizzle peanut sauce over them.

spicy peanut sauce

1 Tbsp oil

1 onion, finely chopped

1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger

2 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 tsp curry powder (or more, if you like)

1 cup hot water

1 cup fresh ground peanut butter (regular old store brands work as well)

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup lime or lemon juice

1 Tbsp sesame oil

1/8 tsp cayenne pepper or hot sauce of your liking

Saute onion, ginger, and garlic in oil until lightly browned. Stir in curry powder and remove from heat.

Whisk together: hot water, peanut butter, lime juice, sesame oil, and cayenne pepper/hot sauce. Stir peanut butter mixture into the onions & ginger, and bring to a simmer. Delicious hot or cold. Also good over rice, noodles, stir fry, other green veggies...

I can't believe no one has posted green bean bundles! Of course, it is more of a fall dish, but still my favorite.

GREEN BEAN BUNDLES

2 lbs. green beans

1 lb. bacon (15 slices partially cooked)

4 tbsp. butter

3 tbsp. packed brown sugar

Garlic powder & salt to taste

Red pepper slices or pimiento (optional)

Blanch green beans in salted boiling water for 5 minutes. Cool beans under running water. Wrap 1 slice of bacon around a bundle of 10 green beans. Place in shallow baking dish. Lay slice of red pepper or pimiento across each bundle. Pour melted butter over beans. Sprinkle with brown sugar, garlic powder and salt. Bake, uncovered, for 1/2 hour at 350 degrees.

I do not use peppers or pimentos.

Of course, my youngest dd will eat steamed beans with ranch like its candy. That is how we serve it most often.

Oh, that sounds good! I'm off to try it with the counter-full of greenbeans awaiting me. :auto:

I also love them steamed and mixed with a bit of cooked bacon and butter, like they serve at Outback Steakhouse or Famous Dave's.

There are several recipes I like from Jane Brody's Good Food Book

Dilly Bean Salad

1 lb small green beans, steamed tender-crisp

2 tbsp snipped fresh dill

6 scallions sliced with some tops

Combine above and then make dressing as follows.

2 tbsp olive or salad oil

1 tbsp red wine vinegar

1 tsp Dijon mustard

salt, to taste

pepper, fresh ground, to taste

Whisk the dressing ingredients together, then add to the beans, mixing well. Serve at room temperature.

Ahhhh. Just typed in 3 other recipes, but forgot to hit save. Grrrrr. Guess I'm too tired tonight, so I'll have to come back tomorrow or Monday. Everything starts with the steamed beans tho.... :)

I'm worried that my recipes might be getting buried by the rest of y'all's. Do you think I should start another thread, to bring attention to my recipes? Or maybe post them to the WTM kitchen? Or start a blog or write a cookbook?

Because y'all's recipes all sound the same to me. Get green beans. From where? The garden? Other than a can, I don't know where green beans come from.

And then you all do buttery, almondy things to your mysterious green beans.

Sarah, if you really want variety, serve my green beans to your family. :D

Here's mine. It's great for summer.

Cook the beans until they are the desired softeness.

In a saucepan, cook 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup vinegar until the sugar is dissolved. Mix in 1/4 cup oil (I use canola).

Add green beans, a sliced onion, and a couple of minced garlic cloves to a bowl, pour vinegar mixture over the beans.

Refrigerate overnight. Serve cold. MMMMMMM!

And...

throw a few peeled cloves of garlic in before you roast them, so the garlic roasts along with the beans. Then sprinkle balsamic vinegar over them when you take them out of the oven.

I am the Official Green Bean Maven for Thanksgiving due to this way of fixing them.

I'm definitely going to have to save a bunch of these ideas! :)

Okay.

Cheese-Topped Vegetable Bake (from an old Pillsbury cookbooklet)

2 c sliced carrots

1 c cut green beans

Cook both vegetables in boiling salted water til crisp-tender; drain well and put in 2 qt casserole dish. Heat oven to 350*.

In skillet, melt

2 tbsp butter and saute the following:

2 med thinly sliced onions

1/2 tsp basil leaves

1/2 tsp garlic salt

1/8 tsp pepper

4 1/2 oz jar of sliced mushrooms

Saute til onion is tender, then spoon over carrots and green beans. Top with

2 med tomatoes, peeled and cut in wedges. Sprinkle with

1 c cheddar, mozzarella or muenster cheese

Bake at 350* for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through.

Garlicky Green Beans from Jane Brody's Good Food Book

1 lb green beans steamed 5 minutes & quickly chilled in cold water.

1 small onion, chopped

2 tsp minced garlic (2 larg cloves)

2 tsp oil

1 tbsp flour

1 tsp paprika

1 16 oz can whole tomatoes, drained (save the juice) and chopped

Saute the onion and garlic in oil for about 3 minutes. Stir in the flour and paprika, cooking for a minute, then stir in the tomato juice. Cook, stirring, til slightly thickened.

Add the tomatoes and green beans, mixing well. Cook, stirring, over medium heat about 2 minutes or til heated through.

There's also a green bean potato salad that I'll post again if anyone wants it.