Menu

How much should my 12 yo charge for babysitting?

iquilt

Didn't she establish how much she would be paid before she agreed to take the job?

It was kind of a surprise for both of us. The mom made a last minute request that put my daughter at her door only 3 minutes after the mom called me. I tried to remember everything before she left but didn't catch it all. This is new for both of us. Normally these kids are all too busy during the week for something like this but it is spring break around here and the neighborhood kids are home. Next week they will all go back to school and we won't get this situation again until July.

I'd find out what others in her peer group, in your area, charge. She doesn't want to way undercharge, or people will assume she is inexperienced or not well liked. But she also doesn't want to overcharge :)

She ended up charging $7/hour for the two girls. I think we will discuss a rate scale for the future at $5/hour for one kid, $7/hour for two, maybe $8/hour for 3. I'm not entirely sure that is perfect but I think it will fit our area well, plus get her some experience.

She ended up charging $7/hour for the two girls. I think we will discuss a rate scale for the future at $5/hour for one kid, $7/hour for two, maybe $8/hour for 3. I'm not entirely sure that is perfect but I think it will fit our area well, plus get her some experience.

I think that sounds good -- $7.00 per hour is a good wage for a 12yo! :)

BUT... I don't know that I would have her charge only $5/hr for one child, as it's often more work to babysit one child than it is to sit for 2 of them, because she may end up having to entertain one kid more than if there were 2 that could play together.

You might want to call your local middle school or high school if they keep a list of people who need sitters and refer students to them, because they would know the going rate in your area.