Menu

Quick tour of London suggestions?

mims

My daughter and niece will be in London (Heathrow Airport) from early in the morning until late in the afternoon. They would love to do a quick tour of some sort. They have both traveled a fair bit and are pretty self-sufficient. Any suggestions? Not too expensive of tours? Something so they get a chance to see it while they are there? I'm more nervous about them missing their flight than being safe on their own!

I'd recommend the Tower of London. They could start out on a tour, and then spend time in the museum and various exhibits. They could easily spend several hours there. It's fascinating, and you get a lot of English history on the tour and browsing the main museum.

http://www.hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/admissionsprices/toweroflondonadmission

If they still had time after that, they could go on a short boat tour on the Thames. It passes under the London Bridge, and you see many famous sites. I believe we got on a tour boat right near the London Tower, so it was very convenient.

The most cost-effective rail route to London. Piccadilly Line trains run from all terminals and journey time is 50 – 60 minutes

http://www.heathrowairport.com/transport-and-directions/getting-into-london

They need to seriously consider how much time they will have and/or the cost to get to London and back. I think getting off the plane, to the tube station, traveling to London and back might take a little less than 3 hours (two of those just on the tube - the rest foot travel to the tube), plus they need to check in for their next flight.

Two ideas that are reasonably easy on the Piccadilly Line are Buckingham Palace -- it is a pretty easy walk to Big Ben from there, and the British Museum. Personally I would stay on that line so they don't spend all their time in tube stations.;)

I definitely think the bus tour is a good idea for a quick tour of everything and the benefit over the underground is that obviously they will be seeing alot while travelling. If they book it before they can save a bit of money too. Then jump off at anything they really want to see a bit closer.