Menu

We are for sure moving to Florida- do I need to keep these?

NotSoObvious

We are moving to Palm Beach County. Please help me decide what to sell and what to ship.

Will I need the following items:

-LOADS of ski/snow apparel. We used to live in Utah. How much of it should I keep? Will they *ever* wear a good, heavy coat in Florida?

(I'll probably keep a basic outfit for each of us just in case we go to Utah this winter.)

-LOADS of sweaters, sweatshirts, and coats.

-Space heater. Not a small little box, a larger radiator looking thing, about 2 1/2 feet tall.

-Wetsuits

-generator- is the weather severe enough to lose power? Here in VA we lose power 4-5 times a year. It's ridiculous.

I'd like to just show up with flip flops and beach towel, but you know, we have a lot of junk! ;)

We are moving to Palm Beach County. Please help me decide what to sell and what to ship.

-LOADS of ski/snow apparel. We used to live in Utah. How much of it should I keep? Will they *ever* wear a good, heavy coat in Florida?

(I'll probably keep a basic outfit for each of us just in case we go to Utah this winter.)

-Space heater. Not a small little box, a larger radiator looking thing, about 2 1/2 feet tall.

-Wetsuits

-generator- is the weather severe enough to lose power? Here in VA we lose power 4-5 times a year. It's ridiculous.

I'd like to just show up with flip flops and beach towel, but you know, we have a lot of junk! ;)

LOL @ ski/snow apparel!! Keep it if you plan on going on trips to snow. You will not need it in Florida. :) I'm from the south so I'm

afraid that I don't even know what a "good, heavy coat" means. If you're talking about a coat you'd need when it's truly cold in Utah, no. :)

Nearly every year we get a couple of cool days (high in the 50's) when we get to pretend we know what winter is like. I'd take a guess

that should be your gauge. You'll have occasional days that are high in 50's but they are few.

I'd keep the space heater. However, I'm from the south so it's very easy for me to get chilly. I have a space heater in my bathroom

and I use it almost all "winter" for after the shower.

Um, I don't really know much about wetsuits. If you'd like to use the ocean before it gets warm, I'd say keep them. I'd say

keep them anyway, because I think it would be cool to own a wetsuit. LOL ;)

Definitely keep the generator!!! I'm not sure if you've read about it but Florida gets things called hurricanes. (haha!) The odds are very

good you'll need them. I'm not certain about the area you are going to but I'm amazed at the severe rain and wind weather we are likely

to get in this Gulf area and yet our power lines are all in the air. No underground power here. Down lines is easy even without a

hurricane. Ugh!

LOTS of flip flops and beach towels! :)

Does the house you are moving to have heat?

Lots do, but on the off chance it doesn't, that space heater could be handy for a few weeks of the year. I live in PBC, and last month we had a few nights that dipped down to around 35 F.

If it was smaller I'd say definitely bring it, get a battery pack for it, and take it with you to restaurants. I swear, I once ate at a McD's that had their A/C set at 50 F.

On that note, you want to be able to dress in layers. You put on layers when you go inside. So a few of those sweaters are useful. I don't think a really heavy coat is necessary, the coldest daytime temps are around 50, so a spring/fall jacket should be fine.

A generator would be handy in the case of a hurricane.

Wetsuits, yes. The Atlantic never really gets too warm.

But the skis, no, not unless you can convert them to water skis.

My votes:

Not unless you plan on making trips to snowier climates. They will feel colder once you acclimate to Florida.

One thing about warm climates? They tend to be chilly indoors due to a/c. I wore lots of light cardigans, hoodies, etc in Hawaii for this reason; it makes layering easy so you can adjust through the day/night as needed.

-Wetsuits

I would keep all of these.

Thanks to both of you!

I'm glad I asked because I was ready to sell the generator!

I don't know where we will be living (we'll rent), so I'll keep the space heater too.

Thanks everyone! I grew up at the beach in So Cal, so I still think of being by the water as being chilly. It's a whole new way of thinking!!

-Wetsuits

No on the skis and snow apparel unless you plan to leave FL for frequent skiing trips. You could probably rent up-to-date gear for less than it would cost to store and maintain this. Also, we did notice that things tended to dry rot quickly in FL, so I'm not sure bindings and things would hold up well down there, expecially if not used frequently.

Sort through the sweaters, etc. and keep one or two favorites, only one coat. It can get chilly on the beach at night so you might wear them occasionally during the winter, but not a lot.

Definitely keep the wetsuits if you plan to do watersports. It can get down into the low 50's and at that cold, you will need something to ward off the chill. Again, remember to maintain them well or they will dry rot.

Keep the heater. While temps down into the 40's or 50's don't sound that cold, they are when your house is not built to deal with any cold at all. Since there is usually so much humidity in the air there, the temps feel even colder than they are.

Definitely keep the generator. Hurricanes can knock out your power easily. Also I remember losing power if the temps got extremely cold or hot for our area, due to everyone putting too great a demand load on the power grid. Unfortunately, you also have to store the fuel to power the generator, which can take up space and be dangerous.

We lived in Tampa for 14 years. Although FL cold is not cold compared to other areas, it feels like below freezing if you aren't used to it, don't have any warm clothes, and your house isn't built to keep in any heat. Also, nights along the beaches can get cool, even in the summer, with a strong offshore breeze.

I would keep a set of sweats for each person and one coat of what we up north consider "fall weight", not a big, puffy parka.

I agree about keeping one warm outfit -- complete with heavy coat -- in case you go visit Utah in the winter. In Florida, you can probably get away with layering sweatshirts even at its coldest. Although consider that you may acclimate to the weather there and soon find 35 degrees colder than you used to. ;-) If your kids are young, they may end up being total wimps about cold in a couple years. At least, I can say that the reverse worked for me when we moved north for a few years.

If I were you I'd get rid of the ski stuff and just rent it if you ever go skiing.

Generator sounds like a good idea. Double check that your house will have heat, but I bet you won't need the space heater.

Never had a wetsuit, even in Florida, so I can't say one way or another on that.

The generator may be the thing you need the most. When we lived in the south, not Florida but similar climate, I ditched the socks, turtlenecks, coats, and anything related to winter (but we don't ski). I wore a winter coat once the entire time we lived there. Agree about the AC, you'll need some layers for restaurants etc. I found myself needing more short sleeve shirts. I'm used to layering tanks and long sleeves shirts. Sometimes it's too hot to layer or long sleeves, hence the short sleeves.

Good sunglasses will also be important.

You will need a coat and some sweaters a few weeks a year. You'll be glad to have them. We moved New England to S Fl and visited New England every couple of years. Mother was glad she kept some of our cold weather clothes, you will use them. Or get rid of them all, move light and re-buy what you need when you need.

Double check that your house will have heat, but I bet you won't need the space heater.

One of my friends in Hawaii went to turn on her heat one morning because it was 62 in the house. That was when she realized that she didn't have heat. We kept space heaters. ;)

I agree with others but you will probably find that you get acclimated to the heat and find it cold at weathers higher than you are used to. We moved to Florida from a not very cold Belgium but definitely colder than island Florida. (The lows we were used to in Belgium were mid-high 20s at night at the worse, but almost every day above freezing). After a year in Florida, we were finding low 50s to be chilly and 40s to be cold. I moved to VA and then to AL. I still usually wear a coat rated -20F for my winter gear here and we also hardly have any days below freezing. FL just rest my internal temperature and now I am much more cold.

I agree with Christina,

We lived in Northern FL and adjusted to where the 50's were chilly and if it got below that we were freezing. When we moved to VA it took a few years to get used to the temps getting below 45 in the winter and I had to keep the heat in the house at 74 for us to be comfortable. Now that we've been here 5 years I can keep the heat at 69 during the day and 67 at night, and we're comfortable. Here 40s are chilly and 30s are COLD.

We moved from NH to GA seven years ago. We gifted away lots and I have regretted some of it. I'd definitely keep the heater and the generator. \

As far as clothing goes consider whether you would ever travel to a colder climate (we visit family in New England sometimes). My teens have taken several trips with friends to go skiing and snow tubing. So we do use those things every once in a while.

We were very warm our first couple of winters here but found that as our bodies adjusted to the climate we now feel colder more often. Growing up in New England anything above 35 or so was relatively comfortable unless it was super windy. Now when it's 50 I feel cold and do put on a decent weight jacket. Ditto for sweaters/sweatshirts/wool socks, etc. I didn't wear them at first, but now I do. Wish we had kept more.