Menu

We still have a landline but...

Liz CA

are trying to cut it out or at least cut out the long-distance service.

Everyone calls us on the cell phones and the only reason I still have a landline is to make international calls which I cannot make with my cell (I checked).

If I cut long-distance service from my landline but keep local landline service, can I use the access number that I am using right now for international calls (United World Telecom) and still reap the incredibly low cost on international calls through the access service provider?

we got rid of the land line, we use our cells and we use Skype for international calls.

Confession: We have never skyped. Tell me more.

Can I skype with someone who does not have a computer (my mother) but only a landline?

Can I sign up on a trial basis to see if it works for us?

You can Skype to a computer or a landline or a cell phone, but it's only free when it's computer to computer. If you do any computer to phone calls, or someone calls your Skype account from a phone, then you need a Skype phone number, and you have to pay for that. You also pay minute rates, but I think they are quite inexpensive. It's been a few years since I've had a Skype number.

If you're just going to do computer to computer Skyping, it's free. You just go online and download it.

Computer to computer is the most fun, because then you get to see each other!

yeah, we have an account with Skype, you refill it every once in a while, like every year with $10 and it lasts forever. Yes, we skype to just cell phones/phones all the time, it cost money, but not much. My husband sets it all up, I'm not very tech...but I can manage to call a number :D My best friend moved to Singapore, so I will sometimes call her on her cell while she is out and about.

We have an account with OneSuite. I programmed the access number into our speed dial and also the pin number. So we only have 4 keys to hit rather than a bunch! I'm not sure whether that still is the best price, but it worked well for us as a prepaid.

Our local phone service provider was really expensive for LD unless you had a big bundle plan with lots of stuff we didn't want/need. But we did need a landline due to frequent power outages, during which the landline will still work. So we went with the prepaid. Also, I know others' experiences will vary, but I have never heard (in my area) a cell phone that had the same sound quality as a landline. My dh works in broadcasting and he is rather hyper about a/v quality standards. And for us it is basically a moot point, since we don't get cell reception at our house.

Also, if you have a device that gets apps, download the free MagicJack app. It adds a free phone line to your device. I put it on all of our ipads and iphones and itouches. It seems to randomly assign a new phone # with each use. So from what I can tell, people can't call us on it. However, we can use our devices to make calls to any phone that wouldn't be free to call from our cell phones. I use it a LOT! Of course, the itouches and ipads need wifi for it to work, but not the cell phones.