Menu

Tuvan throat singing, anyone?

Bug's Mom

Dd (10) is bouncing off the walls....we're going to see Alash Ensemble (www.alashensemble.com) tomorrow night and she's going to meet them after the show. She's been listening to throat singing for a while now and really REALLY wants to meet Kongar-Ol Ondar. She discovered him in she documentary Genghis Blues. She's been practicing all week so that she can say "Hello, my name is..." in Tuvan.

If you get a chance, watch the previously mentioned documentary. It's wonderful, though it usually makes me cry a bit. :)

DS is obsessed with Tuvan & Mongolian throat singing! We saw a Mongolian group live last summer, and they also did a seminar on the history of throat singing and different techniques. DS practices constantly and would love to find someone who gives lessons. He's really interested in that whole area, culturally & linguistically, and for Christmas he got a stack of CDs and a couple of books on Mongolian language & grammar. Now he wants to go to Swarthmore, because the linguistics department there offers a course in Tuvan!

Jackie

So cool to find others who know what the heck I'm talking about. ;)

She's hoping to learn some more words/phrases and I think she's hoping for some tips on throat singing, though I think she'll be too self-concious to try. I'll be sure to post pics when I can.

I remember watching a really good documentary in high school about Richard Feynman which talked a lot about Tuvan throat singing. I'm guessing Richard Feynman is what motivated the BBT episode too, though I've never watched it so that's pure hypothesis.

I think it was this one:

Edit: It may have been this one, which seems to definitely be relevant (part 3 of a series): http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Mn4_40hAAr0

We're back from the concert. OMG! It was great. They played for almost 1 1/2 hours. Dd got to meet them and got a poster signed. She made dragon drawings for each of them. She was given a really cool necklace. I'm dealing with bad wi-fi so probably won't have pics up until Sunday night/Monday morning. We almost got to go hang out with them after the show, but they were pretty tired. They've been doing school shows all week, including 2 earlier today. Dh recorded audio of the whole show. Dd listened to it while falling asleep at the hotel. :) They taught her couple more Tuvan words, so she thought that that was cool.