Menu

BrainPop - $$$$

WIS0320

There was a sale in the beginning of the year, about 20% off. You could do a trial version of BrainPop and Junior first. Or if you have an iPad, the app gives a free movie each day.

To us, it has been great, but that's because DD is still young enough. I'm not sure if I would continue once she is in middle school. In fact, I wouldn't.

I used to have slow Internet connection, so I wasn't even able to see what the trial version was like. So make sure your connection is fast enough for their videos.

There are various options but if you have children with varying ages...BrainPOP Combo Homeschool Solo Access is $131.25

It includes the BrainPOP (Grades 3 and up), BrainPOPJr (K-3), BrainPOP Espanol (Spanish).

We currently have this combo. My boys are 8 and 10. I like that I can bounce between BrainPop and BrainPop Jr, depending on the topic we're covering. I'm paying for a monthly subscription now (~$17/month), but am going to take advantage of the co-op deal. In my opinion, it's worth it. We use it regularly for social studies and science. My boys also like to watch random videos on their own.

check your library system, we get it free through them. I had no idea they offered this till someone told me, I had been buying it out of pocket. It can't hurt to check. Our school system uses it too, and it's possible they will give you their password.

Unfortunately, our library system had never even heard of it. They said they would review it and consider subscribing next year.

BrainPop is the ONLY online supplement I pay for. I pay $99/yr. and it is so worth it. Right now we are doing our whole health class using it. I also use it to supplement our grammar on occasion, but mostly I use it with our history and science. They also offer math, engineering & tech, and arts & music. The movies are short, engaging and fact-packed. For each movie there are worksheets (up to 3 in some cases), a quiz (you can choose to do a graded quiz, printed quiz, or review quiz) , experiments (with most of the topics, and I'll admit, some are really lame), games to reinforce facts, and FYI notes (additional information for students to read to delve more deeply into the subject). When you access a movie, you well see additional movies listed on the right-hand side that are related topics to the movie you just watched to enhance the subject or build a unit.

When you purchase BrainPop, you also get access to the Educators Resources page. There you will find lesson plans for unit studies, academic standards by state, graphic organizers, webinars, and curriculum calendars and more.

I think it's better than most paid-for educational sites out there. I even tried Time4Learning and ditched it after less than a year. I preferred BrainPop over that. However, this is just my opinion.

I suggest you go on to BrainPop and try some of their free movies if you haven't already. You won't be able to see the Educators Resources, but it will give you a good idea of the scope of the student work that's presented.

I hope this helps.

I get it included with my Calvert lessons but here's what I think:

For $17/month it would be worth it --- if your kids do not have access to a lot of other visual entertainment. My kids watch very very little shows and almost no video games, so they think Brain Pop is extremely entertaining and interesting.

Probably, If your kids watch lots of TV, Disney, Etc. and have access to Webkins, etc. the fact is they won't be all to interested in Brain Pop so they won't use it. My kids' friends who watch a lot of TV won't even sit down for Brain Pop. :(

I am so glad we will have Brain Pop again this summer which for us is the worst time of the year weather wise! I used it as a treat for my kids every day, and they loved it! The robot is so very cute and there were very few movies I really objected to. The political stuff is slightly left but I think the writers at least TRY hard to make it neutral. It's really such a great resource.

Probably, If your kids watch lots of TV, Disney, Etc. and have access to Webkins, etc. the fact is they won't be all to interested in Brain Pop so they won't use it. My kids' friends who watch a lot of TV won't even sit down for Brain Pop. :(

I think this is a bit generalized. We are a large screen time family and Brainpop gets used here. I'm sure it might not interest some kids and still interest others.

We currently have this combo. My boys are 8 and 10. I like that I can bounce between BrainPop and BrainPop Jr, depending on the topic we're covering. I'm paying for a monthly subscription now (~$17/month), but am going to take advantage of the co-op deal. In my opinion, it's worth it. We use it regularly for social studies and science. My boys also like to watch random videos on their own.

FWIW, the $17/ month subscription is cheaper (provided you can use it with more than one child.)

https://www.homescho...g/brainpop/?c=1

25% savings on Homeschool Buyers Coop

There are various options but if you have children with varying ages...BrainPOP Combo Homeschool Solo Access is $131.25

It includes the BrainPOP (Grades 3 and up), BrainPOPJr (K-3), BrainPOP Espanol (Spanish).

Glad you posted this. We let our subscription lapse and I have missed it! I didn't realize how often we use it... It's a great jumping off point for subjects. And DS loves to just hang out and surf the movies for fun, too.

Thanks!

FYI: we just did the $74.95 version - solo access.

FWIW, the $17/ month subscription is cheaper (provided you can use it with more than one child.)

The $17/month subscription is only solo access for BrainPop, BrainPop Jr., and BrainPop Espanol. So, it'll end up being ~$11/month with the co-op deal. There are a lot of times that I wish we had the multi-user access, but it's not worth the extra cost for us.

Are you on good terms with your public school district?

I was able to get the logon used at our local school (also one for online Encyclopedia Britannica) - the only problem is that it's only available during school hours, but that inconvenience is small compared to the $ saved.