Menu

Can we plz have a list of favorite day-to-day "High School Helps"-things like NoodleTools, etc.

For the newbies coming up to this board now (like me, after my 11 yrs on K-8), would the veteran high schoolers be willing to set up a list here of favorite things/tools that help them with the day to day of homeschooling high school?

For instance, until I read a recent thread about MLA, I had NO idea there was something like Noodle Tools or Easybib online to help with MLA documentation! Wow, that will be a HUGE help for us.

Any other must-have tools or tricks or helps, etc., that you like? Thanks!

Microsoft Word will also format your bibliography and footnotes in about 10 different styles :)

My favorite things so far (I am NOT a veteran, my home-schooled son is only in 9th):

big white boards

Khan Academy

Georgia Public Broadcasting physics and chemistry videos

Livescribe Pen and paper

We've been using anki (a smart flash card system) for learning Latin vocabulary for years. It uses artificial intelligence to put the cards in line for review at the appropriate intervals so you aren't wasting time reviewing words that you already know well. Using anki well does require a bit of self discipline, so I don't think it would work well for most kids under high school age.

We've also used it for Biology vocabulary. You can enter just text on the cards (which is quick), or you can also load pictures and sounds. For Bio, we used the picture feature a lot. For Latin, we're mostly using just the text, however, there is some geography associated with Latin study, and it has been helpful to upload maps we find on-line to some cards.

After you've entered your cards into the system, it presents the front to you with 4 choices. One is "I don't know it", then there are the choices of "hard", "easy", or "very easy". Depending upon your answer, it will determine when you need to do review. After using this for several years, we've got a couple of decks with about 1000 cards each. If we're not adding any new cards, it usually takes less than 10 minutes/day to do the necessary reviews. They also have apps that allow you to use it on mobile devices, but we haven't tried those. The program is free, but the writer asks for donations.

Here's the website: http://ankisrs.net/

HTH,

Brenda

Here are a few of my favorites to get you started:

Writing

- Online Learning Math Lab: past SAT essay prompts -- used weekly for practicing writing timed essays

- OWL at Purdue (Online Writing Lab) -- free writing and grammar info and "how to"

- Writer's Inc -- book: how to write, types of writing, grammar guide, and MLA resource

Literature

- Sparknotes, Cliff's Notes, Glencoe Literature Library -- free summaries/analysis of classic works of literature

- Wikipedia: list of literary movements

- chronological List of classic authors/works: History World -- and -- Great Books and Classics

- All American: glossary of literary terms

Art Movements (go-along with History)

- For Dummies: Art History Timeline -- key movements, with brief summary and main artists listed

Math

- Khan Academy -- free video tutorials

Bible Studies

- Cyber Hymnal -- repeating loop of digital music of hymns; words on the screen; and a brief bio of the author(s); we used this daily as part of our worship/Bible study time

SAT/ACT Test Prep

- College Board: SAT Question of the Day -- daily free practice question; free sign up to have it delivered to your email

High School Record Keeping, Tips, Etc.

- Donna Young website -- free downloadable/printable organizers; high school info and tips

- Lee Binz The Home Scholar -- free articles, newsletter, tutorials on homeschooling high school, esp. record keeping and transcripts

Career Exploration

- California Career Zone

- New York Career Zone

- US Bureau of Labor Occupational Outlook Handbook

- Glencoe: Career Clusters

General

- lapboard-sized whiteboards and markers -- continued to be the daily use tool for brainstorming writing, working out troublesome math problems, and going over grammar points/practice

- page marker post-its

- Google -- instant answers, dictionary & thesaurus, images, videos, maps, articles... absolutely invaluable for quick "look-up" or pursuing a bunny trail

Khan Academy

White boards

Lap whiteboards

Wikipaedia

Shelf of reference books (atlas, nature guides, etc. Internet is good but sometimes book is faster)

French dictionary

Calculator

Hole punch

Flashcards and rubber bands

Various technical forums

Headphones

Laptop

Globe (we have a tiny one that is quick to grab, quicker than doing some sort of search or getting out the atlas)

Coloured pencils (for marking up books)

Stickies

Mechanical pencil

Owl

Writer's Inc

Folders for various projects

Binders for the end results

Printer

Camera

Various lab things like microscope

Quad-ruled notebooks

Trays for laying out projects or working on a bed or eating where you are working

Lots of food containers because you probably will be eating in the car a lot

Kitchen timer

Big calender for academic stuff

Pocket calender

Nan

Some of this has already been said, but here are my must-have supplies and resources:

a printer

a scanner

Quizlet - to create & study flash cards; create on desktop, study on smart phone app

NoodleTools - create works cited information

Smithsonian websites (each museum has one) - very cool

plagarisma.com - plagiarism checker - enter text & it will find word for word & close matches on the internet

NASA Educator site - marvelous, especially in elementary years

Science Buddies - helps you find science projects based on student interests; for science fair or otherwise.

Perdue OWL (Online Writing Lab)

TED Talks - awesome for supplements

UNC Writing Center - writing handouts on a variety of topics

CA Career Zone - great career exploration tool, interest tools, career info., etc.

Occupational Outlook Handbook, US Dept. of Labor - extensive information on just about every job out there

Zotero - just learning about this one, it's an extensive tool for research papers: create notecards; works cited.

Open courseware (MIT, etc.)

This list of spelling rules: http://www.dyslexia.org/spelling_rules.shtml

I am liking the duolingo free language learning program but I've only just started it.

Something I've found useful is searching the internet for teachers' websites. You can take a subject like French 4 and search. Up will pop syllabi with assignments, book lists, schedules, objectives, and other useful things. It can give you an idea of what sort of material is being covered. You can do this with AP classes, too. And high schools. The high school websites can give you course descriptions, the number of credits needed to graduate, prerequisites to AP classes, tracks, etc.

The internet is a good place to find information on study skills, too. I happened to use this one but there may be better ones out there: http://faculty.bucks.edu/specpop/studyskills.htm and http://faculty.bucks.edu/specpop/concepts.htm (two parts of the same site).

Nan