Menu

Late Work Penalty...

What do you think is an appropriate consequence for late work? This is the first time dd has ever had a misunderstanding on when an assigment is due. I'm upset with her but I'm also wondering what other's think is normal to take off for it. She is in middle school and half her classes have zero penalties as long as it's in by the end of the grading period. She turned in the assignment the next day which wasn't an actual class period because they have a block schedule.

I agree it's a lesson she needed to learn. The thing is though that at open house the beginning of the year it was repeatedly mentioned there was no penalty for late work if it was in by the end of each quarter. They constantly said their goal in middle school was for the students to learn the material, not just worry about deadlines (this rule doesn't apply to projects). She is in the Honors program and its a middle years IB school. Even with the no penalty approach she has never turned in anything late and most of the other students don't either. Apparently this teacher is the only one who penalizes and it was 50% off for one day late. So, she received her first failing grade. She still has an A in the class, so she's not too upset.

When I was in school, late work was accepted but you usually only lost a letter grade. I haven't taken any classes that have told me no late work accepted, actually. It's interesting. I'm not going to do or say anything but was just wondering what others thought.

That does seem rather harsh to take off 50% for a first offense for one day late, in middle school. Was it a major assignment or something minor?

My kids' teacher (1st grade) takes off 10% for 1 day late, and she doesn't collect the papers or remind the kids. So it has happened multiple times that my kids have had their work done and brought to school on time, yet because they didn't think to turn it in at the right time, they lost enough points to impact their overall grade. I think that's a bit harsh, but they are learning to take ownership of these things. I do think a middle school child should be responsible for that.

I agree it's a lesson she needed to learn. The thing is though that at open house the beginning of the year it was repeatedly mentioned there was no penalty for late work if it was in by the end of each quarter. They constantly said their goal in middle school was for the students to learn the material, not just worry about deadlines (this rule doesn't apply to projects). She is in the Honors program and its a middle years IB school. Even with the no penalty approach she has never turned in anything late and most of the other students don't either. Apparently this teacher is the only one who penalizes and it was 50% off for one day late. So, she received her first failing grade. She still has an A in the class, so she's not too upset.

Unless they passed out something in writing at open house at the beginning of the year, its very likely that you some how misunderstood or they somehow miscommunicated to the parents and students about their policy.

The penalty seems completely reasonable to me. I have never had late work accepted without some sort of penalty. Ever.

While it is unfortunate about the misunderstanding, check to see what the teachers Syllabus says. If the syllabus mentions late work penalty then so it is.

In my ds's middle school, work that is gone over in class -- like math assignments -- are not accepted if late. But teachers make exceptions if a student is struggling AND has come in before/after school for help.

For other homework, there is a certain percentage taken off, usually 10% per day; it's posted on teacher's website. For big projects, there is almost always a grading rubric that indicates full points for on time, and three other levels, depending on lateness. If a student is struggling (meaning coming in for extra help, bringing in all outlines and so on), teachers will often take the full amount off for lateness, but be extra generous on some other points.

My daughter is in 2nd grade and if it's more than 3 days late the teacher won't accept it. The kids lose recess to complete missing work and get a small penalty for the late work, as well as losing "classroom bucks" which is their reward system for good behavior in their class.

My daughter is in 2nd grade and if it's more than 3 days late the teacher won't accept it. The kids lose recess to complete missing work and get a small penalty for the late work, as well as losing "classroom bucks" which is their reward system for good behavior in their class.

Wow, that seems strict for a second grader.

Btw, my state passed a bill last month that guarantees a 20 minute recess to every student - teachers can't take it away for missed work, etc.

In my 2nd grade class I very rarely have kids finish work during recess time, homework or classwork. I just feel that recess time is their time, not mine to do as I please.

For late homework I take 50% and it can be turned in any time before the week before report cards. Larger projects lose only 10%, but they have to be in withing 3 days of the due date.

It's all in writing at the beginning of the year. I think it's pretty fair, and I've never had a parent complain.

Now, where I am harsh is in work without a name on it. I must tell kids to write their names on their papers 100 times a day, constantly, and still I get them too often. So, I take the ones without names, usually no more than 3ish, and whichever paper has the lowest grade.... that's the grade the entire group gets. Most kids learn this lesson pretty quickly, but some don't.

Wow, that seems strict for a second grader.

Btw, my state passed a bill last month that guarantees a 20 minute recess to every student - teachers can't take it away for missed work, etc.

Our kids get 2 15-20 minute recesses a day and only 1 is taken away by the teacher. She also uses recess to try to promote good behavior in the class and will take 1 away if kids are too far beyond what she feels appropriate(as in they are bullying other kids or being mean in other ways not for talking but major offenses).

I just think teachers should be honest. If they won't give full marks unless it is submitted 2 days early then they should make the due date 2 days earlier. Also it is misleading to any teachers who may want to ensure that students don't want to have several assignments on the same day.