Menu

Revisiting the subject of Mattresses

Dh and I *almost* spent the big bucks this past weekend on a Tempurpedic mattress but something kept us from it. Now we're looking at other Memory Foam mattresses... Anyone own a memory foam mattress of any kind? Comfor-Pedic, Tempurpedic, or otherwise? What do you think of it? Why did you buy it as opposed to a different brand?

I was reading reviews and one guy had a great review on the three leading memory foam brands. He said that the Tempurpedic brand tends to "cook" the sleeper. I'm thinkin' we'll be buying his second choice if we do at all but I want to hear from the hive!:D

Go with a company that will allow you to sleep on it, literally -- someone who will give you a month to try it out, and will give you all of your money back if you get it home and don't like it for any reason whatsoever.

Select Comfort does this (they also have a 20 year warranty), but I don't know which memory foam companies do it.

Without a home trial, you won't be able to pick out the mattress that works for you.

I recently bought a foam mattress at Costco that specifically stated on the box that it will stay cool. I looked on the tag and the company that makes it is Sleep Innovations. It cost about $175 - $199 and it is 3" thick. It's the best purchase I've ever made! My husband keeps teasing me because every day I comment on how comfortable our bed is.

Lisa

We have a Tempurpedic. It was a huge purchase for us but DH and I agree that it has been worth every single penny we paid for it. It's not too hot, unbelievably comfortable, no pains when you wake up, no jostling while you sleep. It's unreal. We *miss* it when we travel! DH used to (and will again) travel a ton for work and really wanted to have a good night's sleep when he got home. We LOVE it and would highly recommend them. If you do consider one - go spend an afternoon at a showroom and spend about 15-20 minutes on each version of the bed. They have a few kinds and each is very different. Yes, it's a lot of money, but you spend around 1/3 of your life there! (As an aside - we bought the mattress and box spring part, but they sit on the floor. We decided the mattress was a ton more important than other furniture in the room. So we have amazing sleep but ancient hand-me-down odds and ends in the room - and I wouldn't do it any other way!)

I'm so glad you posted this. I know someone with a latex mattress and they love it but it was way too expensive. It was like 5,000.

We are shopping for one now but it's so hard to know how it is going to feel.

Everything feels good when you've been on your feet for hours shopping.

That's a good idea to find one you can sleep on for awhile with the chance to return it.

Thanks,

Amber

(We got it on sale at Macy's.)

I think this kind of mattress is one that you either really love or really hate.

There's a pretty strong smell in the beginning. Every morning I'd pull back all the bedding, open the windows, and let it air out.

In cold weather, the mattress will feel harder when you first get into bed.

Our bedframe is wooden with a headboard and footboard with no supports going across from side to side. The tempurpedic is much heavier than our old mattress so we got a metal set of supports, including a center "foot", to be sure that the bedframe would be able to support it. Make sure to find out if you'd need something like this, too.

It was a huge purchase--but our last mattress was less than 4 years old and was in terrible shape ('top of the line' name brand too...). Make sure you DEAL with the store--they have some wiggle room with the price.

It has been comfortable since day 1. The pillows are great too--we have one of each type they sell.

I have a bad back--this bed is sooooo comfortable--I can once again wake up feeling rested. I normally tossed and turned --but now I do sleep more in the same position--back or tummy (best bed I've ever had for tummy sleeping).

It is not 'hot' like the Tempurpedic--construction/layers are different. No obvious 'smell' either.

It has been strange to plop down on a bed and not have the 'spring'...

NO regrets!

Dh and I *almost* spent the big bucks this past weekend on a Tempurpedic mattress but something kept us from it. Now we're looking at other Memory Foam mattresses... Anyone own a memory foam mattress of any kind? Comfor-Pedic, Tempurpedic, or otherwise? What do you think of it? Why did you buy it as opposed to a different brand?

I was reading reviews and one guy had a great review on the three leading memory foam brands. He said that the Tempurpedic brand tends to "cook" the sleeper. I'm thinkin' we'll be buying his second choice if we do at all but I want to hear from the hive!:D

We have a Sterling Silver Lining mattress. It has a latex core and then a memory foam layer over that. It is soooo comfortable and supportive. I used to have terrible back aches, but not any more. I totally miss it when I am travelling somewhere. Another nice thing is that you can rearrange the layers to make it more plush or firm.

We have a Tempurpedic. It was a huge purchase for us but DH and I agree that it has been worth every single penny we paid for it. It's not too hot, unbelievably comfortable, no pains when you wake up, no jostling while you sleep. It's unreal. We *miss* it when we travel! DH used to (and will again) travel a ton for work and really wanted to have a good night's sleep when he got home. We LOVE it and would highly recommend them. If you do consider one - go spend an afternoon at a showroom and spend about 15-20 minutes on each version of the bed. They have a few kinds and each is very different. Yes, it's a lot of money, but you spend around 1/3 of your life there! (As an aside - we bought the mattress and box spring part, but they sit on the floor. We decided the mattress was a ton more important than other furniture in the room. So we have amazing sleep but ancient hand-me-down odds and ends in the room - and I wouldn't do it any other way!)

:iagree: We'd done all the research too before we purchased our tempurpedic mattress and we were worried about the heat. B U T it is the best furniture purchase we ever made. I sleep like a rock. I haven't slept so well in 8 years--pre-baby, seriously.

Since these are price controlled it doesn't make sense to buy it from a discount store that doesn't have a good customer service department. We got ours through Carsons. They said that we could test drive it for 90 days and if we didn't like it we could return it and exchange it for any other mattress at no additional charge. Plus they threw in the pillows for free.

We got the deluxe tempurpedic. It has a chamber in it to allow for better air flow to help with the temperature issue.