Menu

Building toys that do stuff

UrbanSue

I feel like that's a dumb topic heading . . .

Ds8 has previously been mostly uninterested in typical "boy" building toys like Lego. But the other day he pulled out a remote-control building set he'd been given for Christmas. The kit came with a booklet of projects and the idea is to work through the book in order because the projects teach you, gradually, how the different motors work and whatnot. He built the first project or two right after Christmas with a lot of help and put it away.

But he asked me for the kit on Monday and proceeded to build a helicopter. It didn't fly, of course, but it had moving propellers. I asked him where in his book there was a helicopter and there wasn't--he just made it up. Then he modified the design over the course of the week. Later in the week he designed and built a working elevator for Duplo guys.

I think I've finally had the insight that he doesn't like to build "kits" and follow instructions other people have written. He got the idea after a project or two of how the remote control motors worked and figured out how to adapt them for other projects. And he likes to construct things that are (to his mind) useful.

So what toys would be good for him? Are there Lego sets that do stuff but have parts that would work well together and not just build the one thing? Or other building toys with working parts, machinery, simple electronics, with plenty of room for innovation and not just following instructions? I really want to feed this interest of his but it's kind of uncharted territory for me.

My son, who is 5, is obsessed with building things out of k'nex. He has built all sorts of crazy things....ball machines, music box, blenders, etc. My husband, who is an engineer, helps provide technical support....but they don't use instructions, etc. Just ingenuity.

He also loves his snap circuits jr set! (And my husband, who teaches wiring courses at his manufacturing facility, recently ordered a ton of snap circuits to use as a teaching tool after having seen our son's set and being impressed by it.)

Lego technic, you need at least one motor and associated motor stuff, they come in a pack. My son finally has enough Lego Technic parts to build really cool working things on his own. He knows more about gears and gear ratios than me. Luckily, my husband speaks gear, I do not. My Father-in-Law has seen them through video chat and is looking forward to "playing" with them, he is a civil engineer.

FisherTechnic is another good choice with a full range of mechanisms to build real things. Engineers literally buy these kits to prototype systems. Off the top of my head, I can recall:

- Structural parts of many different types including angled pieces down to 7.5 degrees.

- Wheels of various types

- Pivots for steering

- Rack-and-pinion steering

- Differential gears

- Motors

- Pulleys

- Cranks

- Turntables

- Pneumatics pumps, lines, cylinders, check valves.

- Sensors of various types

- Tank treads

- Computer and/or manual controls

Good luck choosing!

Less engineery than some of the suggestions, but big marble run sets can be fun. My ds had a lot of these, and one came with turning wheels, whistles and other cool parts.

He is in a wheelchair so he really prefers building sets that solidly connect and can be picked up and manipulated from one spot at a table, does that make sense? I think marble runs are so cool and I'm kind of hoping my 4yo gets into them :)

Engino kit, although the one we have can also be operated using solar panels.

http://www.amazon.co...keywords=Engino

This set is extremely similar to the one he has (Thames and Kosmos) but I noticed while looking into it that the Thames and Kosmos people make lots of different science kits and it looks like the parts are all compatible across the different sets. So maybe I should just build on what he has already.

Lego Wedo and mindstorm

Snapcircuits

My son, who is 5, is obsessed with building things out of k'nex. He has built all sorts of crazy things....ball machines, music box, blenders, etc. My husband, who is an engineer, helps provide technical support....but they don't use instructions, etc. Just ingenuity.

He also loves his snap circuits jr set! (And my husband, who teaches wiring courses at his manufacturing facility, recently ordered a ton of snap circuits to use as a teaching tool after having seen our son's set and being impressed by it.)

I apologize if this is a really dumb question, but are snap circuits safe to go "off book" with? Can you zap yourself or start a fire if your project goes awry? My dad loves telling stories of doing this with his kit as a kid. Of course, that was fifty years ago . . .

I apologize if this is a really dumb question, but are snap circuits safe to go "off book" with? Can you zap yourself or start a fire if your project goes awry? My dad loves telling stories of doing this with his kit as a kid. Of course, that was fifty years ago . . .
Not a dumb question at all!

No, you cannot zap yourself. You can create a short circuit and possibly get minor burns, but that's about it since it runs from batteries. You can also damage some of the electronic components if you hook them up wrong, so it takes a little care to go off-book. (Disclaimer: MomsintheGarden and I are electrical engineers, so we are able to help our kids go off-book with the electronics.)

He is in a wheelchair so he really prefers building sets that solidly connect and can be picked up and manipulated from one spot at a table, does that make sense? I think marble runs are so cool and I'm kind of hoping my 4yo gets into them :)

Oh, I didn't realize. It makes perfect sense -- my ds was always looking at his marble runs from different spots. If you are getting any for your 4 yr old -- Rainbow Resource has a good selection.

I 2nd Lego Technic sets.

Also Lego Wedo is a robotics kit for younger kids complete with a simple programming system. We borrowed it from a friend of ours.. way cool.

I highly recommend the Lego Contraptions kit by Klutz. It is AMAZING all the cool little gadgets you can make with that kit. My son is a Lego freak (we have a walk in closet about filled LOL) but this set is one of his faves. We got ours at ACMoore and i've seen it at B&N.

If you have a big table, we also have the Quercetti Skyrail marble run sets. We build ours on the floor though.

Snapcircuits are fun too, Alex plays with them independently all the time as well as with DH, an electrician. They have a curriculum type book you can order on their website that explains the concepts not just "how to build" a project. We like it.

Good luck, this is fun stuff!