Menu

Important things to memorize

dancingmama

So dh wants the kids to do some more memorization but isn't specific as to what he wants them to memorize. Just that they practice memorizing things. I know the kids have memorized things but I'm drawing a blank, except for math facts.

What things do you find important for your kids to just have memorized by the end of the grammar stage?

Here is a sample (not an exhaustive list): 50 states & capitals, 44 U.S. presidents, 7 continents & oceans, grammar definitions (parts of speech, parts of sentences, common pronouns, prepositions, etc.), basic world history timeline (i.e. 1215 Magna Carta signed, 1914-18 WWI), math facts and common formulas, poems, historical documents & speeches (preamble to the constitution, bill of rights, Gettysburg Address).

I'm not big on memorization (rote memorization anyway) but I do try to have my kids memorize some things. I try not to pressure them. I'd like them to memorize in context. If that makes sense.

By end of grammar stage?

Well off the top of my head:

math facts for all 4 operations

parts of speech

personal info (address, phone number etc)

states (working on capitals)

continents and oceans (possibly Great Lakes and some major countries and cities for each area, mountain ranges, rivers etc)

math facts such as measurement (time and calendar and other units of measurement )

science classifications

timelines

some poems

Preamble etc

songs

religious texts

nursery rhymes

jokes and riddles

Check out "Living Memory" by Andrew Campbell (aka, Plaid Dad). I have had my dc memorize verses, poems, famous paintings, etc... but haven't been really consistent about it. I love Living Memory, because everything is arranged by categories, and has everything you would want them to memorize.

I do topical memory stuff, so because we are doing the Apologia Zoology, I turn to the Life Science section of Living Memory, and what I need is right there. The same for American History, there are famous speeches, dates, etc.....

Memorization is good, but it will mean more to them if you tie it into the things you are currently learning.

I think poems or monologues from Shakespeare are nice to have memorized.

Otherwise... the most useful things have been multiplication facts, formulas for finding area or physics formulas...

Fraction - decimal equivalents

Also conversions (like lb to kg)

The periodic table is kind of cool to have memorized, though probably not as useful in everyday life.

Check out "Living Memory" by Andrew Campbell (aka, Plaid Dad). I have had my dc memorize verses, poems, famous paintings, etc... but haven't been really consistent about it. I love Living Memory, because everything is arranged by categories, and has everything you would want them to memorize.

Memorization is good, but it will mean more to them if you tie it into the things you are currently learning.

I was going to recommend this book, too. It's a goldmine of information. (poetry,Latin, Greek, geography, history, etc.,)for only $20 or so.

Sue

Times tables, 50 states and capitals, and latin and greek roots are my bare minimum. A few good poems and some things like the preamble to the constitution would be great as well. I am not big on memorization except as things are useful.

Olders will benefit from memorizing some key equations in math.

I couldn't just come up with a great list for my kids, so I purchased books that have other people's ideas:

- Classical Conversations Foundations Guide & CDs

- Living Memory (which I wish had CDs!)

Both are wonderful resources, and I feel confident that by working CC during the school year, and LM during the summers, we will be more than adequately covered!

First Language Lessons (grammar curriculum) adds poetry, address, phone number, parents' names, etc.

We also have IEW's Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization, which we use sporatically, and my kids are in AWANA at a local church, where they memorize Bible verses. Both of those have CDs. :)

My kids also like the Audio Memory / Kathy Troxel CDs for geography.

I have also peek through Hirsch's Core Knowledge series (What Your __ Grader Needs to Know) each year just to be sure I haven't missed anything major. (Most libraries have the series.)

How's that for not giving any information other than more places to look? :)

I have wanted to purchase Living Memory. Where to get it??

I think I got mine through Exodus Books (http://www.exodusbooks.com/) and I have seen it elsewhere, I just can't remember exactly where at the moment! Check Exodus, first. Oh-wait! http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/andrew-a-campbell/living-memory/paperback/product-4080865.html

You'll love it.

Does anyone know if this (Living Memory by Campbell) is available anywhere (or rather, anywhere with a lower price) than Lulu? I've seen references to it being between $20-$25, but Lulu sells it for $35 (plus shipping!). I felt like I could buy it at $20, but jeesh, that's almost double! :(

Seconding Living Memory, Classical Conversations CD's, and IEW's poetry program.

Drama and any form of presentation are great memory builders.

Also, Bible verses.

This year my youngers are memorizing Horatius (slowly) at the Bridge (it might take them in to next year) and the boys will be memorizing a Shakespeare Play for Shakespeare camp.

Does anyone know if this (Living Memory by Campbell) is available anywhere (or rather, anywhere with a lower price) than Lulu? I've seen references to it being between $20-$25, but Lulu sells it for $35 (plus shipping!). I felt like I could buy it at $20, but jeesh, that's almost double! :(

Here is a link to the ebook (pdf) of Living Memory, which is $15. Maybe you want the actual book though. I actually like the pdf, because I can print out any of the sheets we specifically want to work on and put them into our memory binder.

I use Living Memory for ideas on poetry, history, and science. For Bible, we use a catechism aligned with our faith and Scripture memory. This year we're memorizing the book of James with an almost 6 and 4 year old, and it's so neat how much they can learn! We've never tried that much before. I have the Veritas Press history cards to memorize for history. Other than those, we'll memorize the list of presidents probably. This year we're memorizing the 7 wonders of the ancient world (from Living Memory) and a couple of extra things. But for memorization at my children's age, we're concentrating on Bible and math facts. I'll add grammar and poetry with FLL shortly.