Menu

Nutella and college students...

Joker

I can see how Nutella might make people turn to crime.

When I was in college, it was the sugary cereal that got boosted. Some kids were so brazen they didn't even try to hide it; they'd just fill up enormous containers with cereal and wander out the door, munching it as they went.

Makes me feel better about how much I spend to keep my two college kids in Nutella. I've been a parent for almost 30 years and never had to ration anything until the kids discovered Nutella. It's crazy.

Hmmm...maybe I should be grateful my kid doesn't like it, then.

I thought it was too funny especially since my dh said he used to practically live in the dining hall. He would eat until they made him leave. My girls love Nutella but once it's gone, it's gone until I decide to buy more (otherwise that's probably all they would eat).

DS is allergic to nuts. He used to have Nutella nearly everyday. As a sign of how long it's been, he couldn't understand the article, "But why are they taking it? What are they doing with it?" Umm, eating it? It just does not even sound good to him anymore, which I suppose I should be grateful for.

Ummm, maybe I need my coffee, but I'm not getting it????

I was a commuter student so I think I ate 2x in my college cafeteria, but my friends who lived there and had dining plans used to load up their tray with whatever they wanted for breakfast, lunch or dinner and swipe their card and it deducted 1 meal from their balance. No one tracked what they took (I mean they were watching so you didn't take lunch for the whole dorm iykwim). But if you wanted 2 bowls of soup and 3 grilled cheeses and fries and 2 desserts, no one said anything. Now since I had no dining plan, they charged for each item on my tray (including condiments).

So if a student has a dining plan and wants a huge bowl of nutella for lunch( and who wouldn't ;) ), where is the issue?

I mean are the kids hiding jars of it under their coats and sneaking out? I didn't read anything about that occuring in the article, though see above I haven't had my coffee yet LOL, so I could have missed it ??

If it costs too much for the school to provide at every meal, maybe just put it out at breakfast, or in portion cups and limit 3 per person or the like???

I'm just not getting the term "stealing" I guess??

Off to have coffee and now possibly nutella sandwich....ughhhh

When I read the article I thought, "Well, duh!" Of course it's disappearing. If they want to cut consumption back, they'll have to ration it. Maybe have single serving sizes that are handed out by kitchen staff? Or a 5-gallon tub that the staff member serves from.

I mean are the kids hiding jars of it under their coats and sneaking out? I didn't read anything about that occuring in the article, though see above I haven't had my coffee yet LOL, so I could have missed it ??

"But that ridiculous amount could be due to the fact that students are stealing the Nutella by filling up to-go cups and taking full jars back to their dorms"

It is mentioned in the article and I had a mug of coffee :)

"But that ridiculous amount could be due to the fact that students are stealing the Nutella by filling up to-go cups and taking full jars back to their dorms"

It is mentioned in the article and I had a mug of coffee :)

LOL ok, see I told you I needed my coffee...but the word Nutella distracted me from making it first......lesson learned.....coffee then forums