Menu

anyone watching House of Cards (netflix version)?

butterflymommy

I've been bedridden for days with a nasty cold so was aimlessly browsing on netflix. I normally only watch documentaries but decided to try House of Cards. This is an original netflix production, a remake of a british version. I hadn't realized it starred Kevin Spacey.

I have to say-- it was unbelievably good. I was completely blown away. It's heavily peppers with R rated scenes (some very R rated) but 90% is old fashioned drama and amazing acting and script writing. I don't want to give away any spoilers... but the guy who plays Congressman Russo is an incredible actor as well.

And you also learn a lot about civics, congress, legislation and so on. But this is definitely not for kids!

We are almost through it. It is hard to talk to people about it because everyone is watching it at different rates, lol.

My one complaint, and it is a little one, is that while I find Spacey a powerful actor, I don't find him to be a very sexual one. I don't mean he is not attractive, just that he doesn't give off a very sexy vibe. He doesn't use that energy when he acts. And there is little to no sexual tension between him and either of the female leads. So, whenever the scene becomes about sex I mostly feel skeeved out.

And Robin Wright is so opaque! I can never get a read on her. I would love a little hint from her about the characters ambitions or motivations. She is like a stone wall.

My one complaint, and it is a little one, is that while I find Spacey a powerful actor, I don't find him to be a very sexual one. I don't mean he is not attractive, just that he doesn't give off a very sexy vibe. He doesn't use that energy when he acts. And there is little to no sexual tension between him and either of the female leads. So, whenever the scene becomes about sex I mostly feel skeeved out.

He's not public about it but Spacey is gay. He's never come out and said it but it's pretty much common knowledge. So as good of an actor as he is, that could be why you felt no chemistry between him and any of the women around him. I didn't sense any either, and never have in any of his other films.

But he does have extraordinary magnetism, intensity and "attraction" to him.

My mom recommended to this to me but I'm balking at the rating of MA. How bad is it is what I'd like to know.

It has scattered raunchy sex scenes and dirty conversations here and there. I'm not a prude but I wish they'd left it out or made it more understated. It felt gratuitous. I think the series would have been better without the smut and brief nudity. It almost felt like they sat around a table and said, "hey we need something more shocking in the script, lets throw in some boobs and butts."

My mom recommended to this to me but I'm balking at the rating of MA. How bad is it is what I'd like to know.

Ohhhh, it EARNED that M rating. If you don't care for gratuitous sex scenes, you might wanna skip this series or get good with the fast forward on your remote. I can think of one scene that was a bit more than a peek of flesh.

I love the series! I finished it very quickly. One thing I found was that I was getting hints of Claire and what she wants in the last 2-4 episodes. Most of my clarity happened in the last episode. Looking forward to more shows.

Ohhhh, it EARNED that M rating. If you don't care for gratuitous sex scenes, you might wanna skip this series or get good with the fast forward on your remote. I can think of one scene that was a bit more than a peek of flesh.

That's what I ended up doing... lol. The story is so good but I really didn't feel like watching the "adult" parts since it felt totally gratuitous. That's my only complaint with the series. Otherwise it's perfection. Corey Stiles practically upstages spacey, his performance as the congressman struggling with substance abuse is brilliant.

My husband is really into this show. We've both worked in DC, so sometimes I get annoyed with the way it portrays politics, but it is well written for entertainment,

I mentioned to my husband that it couldn't possibly be this exciting on capitol hill... lol. But it is fun to watch nevertheless.