Menu

Hakim Biology

oh, and i thought the next three would all be biology? idk. i'm assuming she wants to delve in to evolution and i wonder if its the 'controversy' slowing her down, or that she's aging and working more slowly, or just that her process is very slow? i was on her website just a few days ago, sorely tempted to email and ask her.

so, what were they about?! drooling!! unfortunately, my teen is really probably beyond this and we already have next year planned out, and my younger one is not in to that kind of story telling yet - very delayed in all LA areas

dbmamas, you were correct. evolution is unfortunately one of the reasons...

I got the reply back from her and the permission to share it on the board

Here it comes :

"Right now I'm trying to find a publisher, evolution is a touchy subject. I have two books going, I think they are pretty good. One, written with kids (of all ages) in mind, follows life forms from their early microbial state, to fish, to dinosaurs, to us. The other, which I see as a regular bookstore book, tells the historic story of the quest to understand genetics, biology, and how life forms change over time.

When will they be available? I wish I knew.

Best, Joy"

I hope she knows how many of us are waiting :(

esp now that Charlies Playhouse has gone out of business, too!

What? Out of business? Darn it. Ugh.

I don't understand. Other evolution books are published. How is it a problem?

Also, I can't believe that in 20-freaking-13 I live in a country that denies publishing a book with evolution in it. I mean seriously?!

So much to vent and yet I have to hold back.

I wonder if its because the target audience is homeschoolers and not public schools. The popularity of creationist homeschool science books tells me the market is small for secular texts. I am also wondering if Smithsonian didn't see what they would consider satisfactory sales numbers for other science books they published and doesn't want to keep up with that franchise. I don't think they created a guide for her third book.

Maybe if enough people ask for PDF versions she will consider it?

I always wanted a middle school version of St. John College approach to science. I know WTM does it to some extent through history, but Hakim science is the closest it comes.

I wonder if its because the target audience is homeschoolers and not public schools.

She said that the first book was aimed at "kids of all ages," which to me would put it more in the category of an Usborne/DK type book, and the 2nd she described as "a regular bookstore book." I didn't get the impression that homeschoolers were the target audience for either book.

I wonder if part of the problem in finding a publisher is that there were quite a few evolution-for-kids books published recently to coincide with the 150th anniversary of Origin of Species, and publishers may feel that there just isn't a big enough market for yet another one.

Sadly, I'm not surprised if school publishers have turned it down. My son was in a PS where a very vocal group of parents pressured the school to ban teachers from using the word "evolution;" they had to use "adaptation" instead. I overheard a group of them discussing the scandalous fact that one of the middle school teachers was actually doing a unit on evolution as part of the life science curriculum, and they were planning to put a stop to it by flooding the office with phone calls and emails, getting relatives to also complain, threatening to pull their kids out of school, etc. What struck me as funny was that they wouldn't even say the word — they kept referring to "the e-word," as if it were profanity.

Jackie

I met a woman in the library who homeschools. We were both there for a meeting not related to homeschooling. Anyway, after the meeting we got to talking about science. She was lamenting about science for her kids (all 6 and under). I told her we loved Bill Nye videos. She said, "Oh? I haven't considered those. Doesn't he talk about (looks around carefully and leans in to whisper to me) you know...." I thought she was talking about sex and told her I didn't think any of the videos for younger kids mentioned sex. She says, "Oh, no no. I'm talking about you know the e-word."

I think I just stared at her like this :confused1: then I told her we watched and loved all his stuff and left it at that.

I had no idea! How sad. We have their evolution playmat, creature cards, and flip book.

We have the wall timeline and the cards. I'm trying to decide what i'll do when I end up taking it down . . . keep them for possible grandkids? sell them? give away to a needy evolution-teaching homeschooler? such hard choices!

It looks like the creature cards are still sold via Amazon but there's only a few left. The most recent review was from January and mentioned a poster. So maybe they were just selling what they had left.

What a bummer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main?ie=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=1&isCBA=&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&orderID=&seller=A7U2XZ81VVF09

Sad! Not all believers in God and Christianity think evolution is evil. Good grief! I don't care how the earth was created! To me the real difference in believer and non-believer shouldn't be how it was done but who, if anyone, was behind it. I buy secular science on purpose because I am an old earth-I have no problem with evolution-science is beautiful- believer. So want to get my hands on those Biology books!!!

Is this the Charlie's Playhouse you're talking about?

Yay!

Check out the "kids' evolution art contest" — the winners are awesome. I loved this comment on the 11-year-old's submission:

Well, well, Abby! You have an amazingly deep understanding of how animals change gradually over time. We love your detailed drawings, complete with zoom-ins and field notes. We certainly never expected a poo guide, but now we don't know how we've lived without one so far. Your essay shows how much thought and effort you put into it. Congratulations!

:lol:

Jackie

She said that the first book was aimed at "kids of all ages," which to me would put it more in the category of an Usborne/DK type book, and the 2nd she described as "a regular bookstore book." I didn't get the impression that homeschoolers were the target audience for either book.

Jackie

O.K. I might have completely misunderstood her bio books. I was under impression that a series of 2/3 books were planned with bio focus that would look just like her Story of Science. Oh I was so looking forward to it!

Now that we know it's not coming, anybody wants to tackle it on this board? :)

On a serious note, I would love a chronological list of how to go about covering bio in a Story of Science manner. If anybody has anything like this, can you please share? I wish I had a science background.

I wonder if part of the problem in finding a publisher is that there were quite a few evolution-for-kids books published recently to coincide with the 150th anniversary of Origin of Species, and publishers may feel that there just isn't a big enough market for yet another one.

Sadly, I'm not surprised if school publishers have turned it down. My son was in a PS where a very vocal group of parents pressured the school to ban teachers from using the word "evolution;" they had to use "adaptation" instead. I overheard a group of them discussing the scandalous fact that one of the middle school teachers was actually doing a unit on evolution as part of the life science curriculum, and they were planning to put a stop to it by flooding the office with phone calls and emails, getting relatives to also complain, threatening to pull their kids out of school, etc. What struck me as funny was that they wouldn't even say the word — they kept referring to "the e-word," as if it were profanity.

Jackie

I met a woman in the library who homeschools. We were both there for a meeting not related to homeschooling. Anyway, after the meeting we got to talking about science. She was lamenting about science for her kids (all 6 and under). I told her we loved Bill Nye videos. She said, "Oh? I haven't considered those. Doesn't he talk about (looks around carefully and leans in to whisper to me) you know...." I thought she was talking about sex and told her I didn't think any of the videos for younger kids mentioned sex. She says, "Oh, no no. I'm talking about you know the e-word."

I think I just stared at her like this :confused1: then I told her we watched and loved all his stuff and left it at that.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

She should try to publish in the UK or Australia: we are still able to separate science and religion.

D

I was reading some of the posts from this thread to dh and he's about ready to move us to the UK. Australia is nice too, but I've seen pictures of the spiders you guys have there. :scared: