Menu

Our house is full of tears tonight...

TKDmom

We just got home from an OM competition.

One child scored first and is going to the State competition next month. :hurray:

Another scored 8th. Out of 8. :crying:

The third was in a non-competitive division, but received high marks.

So my house is full of tears tonight. Tears of disappointment. Tears of guilt. And tears just because everyone else is crying. :(

My ds's team had his coach drop out 2 months ago after one of the parents was particularly nasty to her. I stepped up in her place because no one else was willing to do it.Their old coach was amazing and I wished she could have stayed. I was so proud of those kids. They worked so hard, and they improved so much over the last few weeks. We all thought they did really well. I almost wish we had skipped the awards ceremony, but I was sure they'd get in the top 5. In the big scheme of things, this will just be a blip on the radar. But it's so hard to see your kids hurting.

It was just such an emtionally draining day. I missed the performances of two of my kids and we almost didn't get one of the essential props in ds's performance to the competition.

I think I want to go sleep for a week.

Edited by TKDmom

Ds(9) was so sweet tonight. During our family prayer he gave thanks that his sister could get first place. :)

I'm proud of him for not being jealous or bitter. And next week he's got Pinewood Derby with an awesome car. He loves Pinewood Derby. I'm sure it will raise his spirits.

After talking to Daddy he wants to try again next year. Odyssey just sucks the life out of me for 3 months leading up to the competition. I suppose I have 5 months to decide if I want to do this again. But I'm gonna want someone to kick me if I do decide to do it. Especially since the chances are pretty high that I will be pulled into coaching again. Why do we do these things for our children??? :p

I feel for both the winner and the loser. Neither really knows what to feel in the moment. But I have a feeling this will help them bond, knowing how much each one's happiness depends on the other's. The Williams sisters come to mind.

I had a client who had 9yo triplets. Two of them were consistently #1 and #2 in Judo competitions. Needless to say, celebrations were muted. But how proud he was of both of them.

Why do we do these things for our children??? :p

Yes, someone please tell me. Today after church I am going to don my "below freezing" gear and go stand in a snowy, windy field for the first day of 4-H archery training. Actually I will be the safety gear officer and will be in charge of making sure everyone has on eye protection, finger tabs, arm guards, and all hoodie strings tucked well away. It's going to be a long, cold afternoon.

Regarding the competition and disappointment issue, my dd cares about it a lot less than I do. I have a very competitive nature, but she takes after dh and is pretty laid back about it. So I have to hide my disappointment while she says, "Oh well, there's always next time..."