Menu

Amway, Shaklee or Melaleuca..

ProudGrandma

I have no idea, but I don't buy any of them, because there's a lot less sales pressure when I just go to the store and buy stuff.

I don't think any of those companies offer anything that is so incredibly innovative and wonderful that you can't find elsewhere, without the sales pitch.

No offense to anyone who sells the stuff -- the products are probably just fine; I just prefer a less personal approach to shopping. I feel more obligated to buy stuff I don't want or need when there's an actual person that I know standing in front of me, trying to make the sale.

None of the above. I don't care to become involved with purchasing from MLM companies because the salespeople always progress to asking you to buy into the scheme as a new salesperson. (Sometimes they deny that the company is an MLM because they know there often are negative feelings about MLMs.)

I gave a fair trial to Shaklee products in order to please a kind neighbor. Mediocre-to-ok quality. No reason to abandon what I normally purchased.

Of the three, I've only used Melaleuca. I really liked the products and felt the quality was good. I didn't get pressured too hard to sell. But what really bothered me, and mostly why I quit, was the policy that you had to purchase $50 of merchandise every month. If you did not place an order on time they would randomly generate an order of things you may or may not want or use and ship it off to you. I didn't like being roped into spending $50 every single month, and especially didn't like paying for things I might not use. This was probably five years ago, though, so policies may have changed.

I haven't tried Shaklee, but I prefer Amway products. If you take out the MLM aspect, they are good products, the ones they produce themselves. Their vitamins, cleaning supplies, and make up line were my favorites. They aren't cheap, but they are quality. We used their products for years and were quite happy with them. They're just not in our budget now, even at wholesale prices.

What is the difference in these companies as far as price and quality of their products. I don't intend to sell these...just possibly buy them. thanks.

Amway is the oldest (and largest) of the three. I haven't used Malaleuca products, and it's been many years since I used any Shaklee products. I have, however, been using Amway products since 1978, first as a customer, then as an IBO (independent business owner).

I will always use Amway products for most things (if I use that kind of product, KWIM?) Besides the fact that they are economical and that I've always been pleased with any product I've ever bought (especially the laundry products), Mr. Ellie is allergic to all other laundry and personal-care (deoderant and bath soap) products.

Shaklee for vitamins, either Shaklee or Amway for cleaning products. I do think Shaklee vitamns are superior to anything I can find in the store, and have never had a shaklee rep pressure me, or ask me to sell. It kind of sells itself. Shaklee cleaners can be used by people who react to almost all other cleaners (scent/smell). Oh, and my mil cleared up a case of mrsa w/out antibiotics by rinsing her wounded foot w/ shaklee basic G (don't know if they are still making that or not, though).

It's been a long time since I used Amway, but I do remember the cleaners working really well.

Shaklee vitamin B is a staple in our house. It helps with mood swings...when hubby is feeling stressed he takes it, if someone is a bit sensitive another family member will give them one....we love it. The meal shakes are tasty We also love lecithin for memory it helps unbelievably and it is also good in cooking as it breaks oil down. I love the pots and pan cleaner as well as basic H. I use that in 3 bottles to clean everything. I love that it only take a few drops to make a bottle of cleaner so when my 11 yr old uses the whole bottle to clean the mirror I am not freaking out about the cost. Basic H is also safe on plants...my grandma uses her run off from dishes in the garden. I cannot compare to the others as I only used a few amway things a friend gave me.

I joined Shaklee so I can just order my won products. However my Shaklee lady will do it all for me and she answers questions when we have them. My hubby was having joint problems and her recommendation has worked wonders.

Of the three, I've only used Melaleuca. I really liked the products and felt the quality was good. I didn't get pressured too hard to sell. But what really bothered me, and mostly why I quit, was the policy that you had to purchase $50 of merchandise every month. If you did not place an order on time they would randomly generate an order of things you may or may not want or use and ship it off to you. I didn't like being roped into spending $50 every single month, and especially didn't like paying for things I might not use. This was probably five years ago, though, so policies may have changed.

That's why I like Amway's marketing plan (not that I work very hard at it, lol). It's my business. I pay a fee annually to maintain my IBO status, and either I sell products or I don't. Most direct sales companies (Tupperware, Creative Memories, Jordan Essentials, etc.) are like Melaleuca, though: you have to have a certain level of merchandise moving in order to continue being a distributor/representative/whatnot, even if you move it by buying it yourself.

The only one of the three I've used is Shaklee and I really like it. I LOVE their cleaning products and once our finances are in better shape I would love to go back to their vitamins. I bought into it at the lowest level (I think it was $20) so I have my own website to go through and I can place orders when it pleases me. I don't sell to others or anything, just buy what we need.Their Basic H2 is by far my favorite and a bottle lasts forever. There's no yearly fee and no minimums to meet. That's what put me off from Melaluca. I had a friend who had a horrible time getting out of her deal, they just kept sending her things no matter how much she called, and really, who needs $50 in cleaning supplies every month?

• 1 year later...

What is the difference in these companies as far as price and quality of their products. I don't intend to sell these...just possibly buy them. thanks.

I can't compare, but I've been a happy Amway customer since 1975. I'm also a distributor, but I was a customer first, and I will always use Amway products. Mr. Ellie is allergic to every laundry and personal product on the market, so of course that's all I use, and I have always been pleased with the results. In fact, I have liked every product I've used over the years, which is to say if I use that kind of product and Amway makes it, that's what I use (except for a couple of things--I love my Pureology shampoo). Amway products were biodegradable before it was popular to be that way, they are economical, and there is exquisite quality control (Amway is in control of all of its products from start to finish). Amway has also won numerous awards for its business practices.

I cannot speak to the bad behavior of some people who sell Amway products. There will always be tacky people in the world. :glare:  But the company itself is stellar.