Menu

Bought IEW Bible Heros today.

Mom2OandE

Iew is doing a seminar here and I was able to pick up a few things for next year. They have a new bible heros guide. It's meant to go between PAL and the 3-6th grade guides. It has a short story to read, some grammar, writing, bible verse, some little art projects and some songs to sing. I've only read through the first few weeks but it seems like a nice little LA. I'm going to use it with ds next school year. He is behind in reading and writing so I think this will be good for him in addition to his phonics.

I'm finishing up PAL with my 1st grader this year.... he is not reading as fluently as I'd like but I've got my eyes on Bible Heroes for next year! The samples look really good. The last phase of PAL starts teaching dress ups, etc. I'm very happy with it. But my son is not applying all the phonics rules that we've worked on as well as he needs to. I haven't started him on Discovery phase yet bc I know it will just frustrate him. We don't spend 30 minutes per day on the games bc he gets bored of them but maybe that is the disconnect for him. I had even started doing a little AAS thinking the hands on approach might help him.

He's a sweet boy and my baby (for 3 more weeks anyway) and we are just having lots of fun so I haven't pushed him too much! But I am looking forward to Bible Heroes!

It does look good! I actually just ordered ATFF for ds9 and dd7 but if this gets to be too much I may use Bible Heroes it for dd7. And there are always 2 more coming up for me to use it with if she doesn't need it:) I have always thought going from PAL writing to either a theme based or SWI was kind of a leap, and this seems it would fill the gap very nicely!

I had planned for my 2nd and 3rd graders to rotate through Fables, Myths, and Fairy Tales and All Things Fun and Fascinating. We are doing the Fables book this year and love it. I'm hoping to cram ATFF in with my oldest this summer before starting the Medieval lessons next year and I'm planning to do ATFF with my second child next year at regular pace. He should do well since he's doing the Fables book this year. I wasn't planning to start IEW books until 2nd grade but now I'm wondering if they can do the Bible Heroes book in 1st grade. If so I'll order it for my first grader for next year......(When I say first grader I'm assuming they can read the selections in the lessons).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thinking of doing this after WWE 2. Looking forward to reviews! Can't decide whether to go onto WWE 3 or move to IEW, I think this will be a good way to try it out and gain some different skills.

That was my question - where it would fit in the WWE sequence skill-wise.

Based on this, http://peacehillpress.com/curriculum-guides/curriculum-map.html

WWE1 is for 1st & 2nd, WWE2 is for 2nd & 3rd, and WWE3 for 3rd & 4th,

Since IEW BH is billed as being for 2nd grade on, I am guessing that the placement would be between WWE1 & WWE2?

Hi,

Have you purchased TWSS also to go through bible heros or ATFF with your dc ?

I am wondering because want to start theme based A level for my kids so can I go through without TWSS?

Waiting for your experiences and recommendations!

I already had TWSS that I started using in January with dd. I needed something more introductory for ds who has dyslexia. I am not starting it until August though as I am still focusing heavily on his phonics and reading fluency.

When I bought it the rep told me it was geared towards second grade but appropriate for reluctant readers and writers through fifth. I'm using it for my rising 4th grader with dyslexia. I think it will be a good introduction to using a theme guide the following year.

Hi,

Have you purchased TWSS also to go through bible heros or ATFF with your dc ?

I am wondering because want to start theme based A level for my kids so can I go through without TWSS?

Waiting for your experiences and recommendations!

I'm not planning to go through TWSS before using BH although I know it is recommended. I'm not ready to invest that much money into IEW, BH will be our first intro to their program. I do plan to purchase the overview DVD (I think it's two hours?) and watch it at some point while we are using BH.

That was my question - where it would fit in the WWE sequence skill-wise.

Based on this, http://peacehillpres...iculum-map.html

WWE1 is for 1st & 2nd, WWE2 is for 2nd & 3rd, and WWE3 for 3rd & 4th,

Since IEW BH is billed as being for 2nd grade on, I am guessing that the placement would be between WWE1 & WWE2?

BH looks completely different from WWE, it doesn't look like it has any copywork/narration/dictation. After looking at them more, I am planning to use both WWE3 and BH. I don't want to lose where we are with narration/dictation so I want to continue with WWE, but I want to add outlining and other types of writing so will add IEW. This is for my 3rd grader, so WWE3 is on level for him, while BH will be a bit below so hopefully won't be too much. I'm thinking that BH would also fit nicely with WWE2 or as you mention would fit between the levels. They seem to be different types of skills so you could put it in where you want, maybe four days of WWE and one day of BH each week, doubling up the BH to work through it more quickly (if only one day a week).

Still figuring out how it will work for us. We just finished WWE2 this week, so will start WWE3 and BH in a couple of weeks after a bit of a break because DS 'hates' writing. ;)

I'm not planning to go through TWSS before using BH although I know it is recommended. I'm not ready to invest that much money into IEW, BH will be our first intro to their program. I do plan to purchase the overview DVD (I think it's two hours?) and watch it at some point while we are using BH.

BH looks completely different from WWE, it doesn't look like it has any copywork/narration/dictation. After looking at them more, I am planning to use both WWE3 and BH. I don't want to lose where we are with narration/dictation so I want to continue with WWE, but I want to add outlining and other types of writing so will add IEW. This is for my 3rd grader, so WWE3 is on level for him, while BH will be a bit below so hopefully won't be too much. I'm thinking that BH would also fit nicely with WWE2 or as you mention would fit between the levels. They seem to be different types of skills so you could put it in where you want, maybe four days of WWE and one day of BH each week, doubling up the BH to work through it more quickly (if only one day a week).

Still figuring out how it will work for us. We just finished WWE2 this week, so will start WWE3 and BH in a couple of weeks after a bit of a break because DS 'hates' writing. ;)

The overview DVD is all I watched (although we did go through PAL writing). If you haven't joined the yahoo group I would highly recommend it- there are so many helpful files on there. There are also some great webinars that are specific to the units. We are using All Things Fun and Fascinating and I have not watched TWSS. But the author, who I believe also wrote Bible Heroes (Lori V.), is very easy to follow and her instructions are great.

We are also combining IEW with WWE. So far it has worked to do one unit of IEW and then do a few weeks of WWE. I know it will take us more than a year to do it this way, but I am fine with that. I find that mixing them up helps prevent writing burnout with my ds9, who doesn't really enjoy it:)

The overview DVD is all I watched (although we did go through PAL writing). If you haven't joined the yahoo group I would highly recommend it- there are so many helpful files on there. There are also some great webinars that are specific to the units. We are using All Things Fun and Fascinating and I have not watched TWSS. But the author, who I believe also wrote Bible Heroes (Lori V.), is very easy to follow and her instructions are great.

We are also combining IEW with WWE. So far it has worked to do one unit of IEW and then do a few weeks of WWE. I know it will take us more than a year to do it this way, but I am fine with that. I find that mixing them up helps prevent writing burnout with my ds9, who doesn't really enjoy it:)

Thank you for the tips! I'm thinking of BH this year and ATFF next year.

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw BH this weekend for the first time at convention and I thought it looked great. It is a totally different approach to writing than what we did with WWE 1 this year. I'm planning to do both WWE2 and BH in some sort of combination next year. They truly don't look like they will overlap at all in skills.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We started this today and the first day went incredibly well.   I can't believe how enthusiastic my 2nd grader was about the key word outline.  He thought the idea was brilliant.  I guess all those years of his doing narrations really paid off in his seeing how an outline would help him remember key ideas.  Tomorrow we do our first game and song.