Menu

Easter Dresses for older girls

NotSoObvious

Gymboree's dresses are on sale, plus I have an extra 20% coupon, so I'm about to purchase Easter dresses for my twins.

Are 10 year olds too old for Easter dresses? My girls would happily wear them (they love Gymboree and dresses), but will they hate me later? :)

Also, why the heck are Easter dresses always sleeveless? It's still freezing in March!!!

Mine gets a new dress at Easter and she's 12. Are you referring to a particular style? We liked JC Penney's dresses last spring.

Hmm. Maybe. I'm just looking at the Gymboree dresses and thinking that other girls their age probably wouldn't wear them.

I'll look at JC Penny and see if I see something a little more mature...

My 10yo fell for one at Crazy8, and finally got it when it went on sale this week. It's sleeveless, but she has a white shrug that she'll wear with it. This is my fashion designer, and she definitely doesn't think she's too old for it. She is in the biggest size Crazy8 sells, though, so we may have to stop with the kids' stores by next Easter.

At some point Gymboree begins to look too young for older girls, but I think it's appropriate for an undeveloped 10 yo. Just glanced at the site and several of the dresses look fine for an older girl. Life is harder when your kids outgrow Gymboree, so I would say enjoy it one more year!

Gymboree's dresses are on sale, plus I have an extra 20% coupon, so I'm about to purchase Easter dresses for my twins.

Are 10 year olds too old for Easter dresses? My girls would happily wear them (they love Gymboree and dresses), but will they hate me later? :)

Also, why the heck are Easter dresses always sleeveless? It's still freezing in March!!!

The bold drives me crazy. I wish some retailer, somewhere would sell warm Easter dresses. We usually have snow on the ground (and sometimes falling) on Easter. Even when it's in April.

Easter dresses are sleeveless because Easter is a cultural celebration that focuses on Springtime, the returning of warmth and baby-animal life after winter. For believers it's about how those things are all related to Christ's resurrection and our new birth in Him... which is the heart of Christian Easter... but it's still a "Spring" festival, even in places where the climate doesn't warrant it... therefore fashions are Spring-like even when the climate doesn't warrant it.

I think Easter is a great time for pretty girls (of all ages... even in their 80's and 90's) to look fresh and lovely. However, how a 6 year old looks 'fresh and lovely' is different from how a 10 to 12 year old does. It's worth following her into older looks as she becomes more grown up in her features. (My 8 year old and my 5 year old now have coordinating Easter dresses, in colour only. I'm not interested in my little lady looking too much like a preschooler in puff-and-gingham just because it's spring. She needs her dresses to look right on her body for more than that one Sunday.)

Hmmm... do *I* get an Easter dress this year? I was just thinking that I could use a new date/sunday dress that suits semi-cold slightly dressy occasions. I'd like something long so I don't have to shave or make extra effort to keep warm... but it can be sleeveless.

Easter dresses are sleeveless because Easter is a cultural celebration that focuses on Springtime, the returning of warmth and baby-animal life after winter. For believers it's about how those things are all related to Christ's resurrection and our new birth in Him... which is the heart of Christian Easter... but it's still a "Spring" festival, even in places where the climate doesn't warrant it... therefore fashions are Spring-like even when the climate doesn't warrant it.

Yes, I love the symbolism of Easter, and I wish that our weather cooperated and gave us appropriate weather for the occasion. But since it doesn't it would be great if we could get spring colors and prints AND sleeves in the same dress.