Menu

Wow! I looked out the window. Are any of you get hammered by this storm?

FaithManor

We've had two inches per hours for about four hours and it's just letting up. We already had a lot of ice since it partially thawed and then froze again the previous few days. You could ice skate yesterday in my yard! Now it appears to be a glacier covered in snow. The local weather service is predicting a little sleet later today. ARGH!!!!!!!

I didn't have the February blahs prior to today. I was fighting them off like a champ. Now, I am afraid the winter doldrums have hit.

The back roads are terrible, however school is in session. I decided to give the boys a snow day. That's a fairly rare occurence, but I don't know...I stared bleakly at the scene for a while, shivered, and decided I really did.not.feel.like.teaching.geometry.algebra2.and.chemistry.

That's unusual for me since they are my favorite subjects. The long arm of February got me!

The boys are practically partying.

Faith

We have about a foot of snow in our yard and no reason to get out. DH and I work from home so our commute is unaffected and I went to the grocery store a few days ago. Regardless we've got enough tinned food to survive for a week. It won't come to that though because DD has Girl Scouts tomorrow and DH and I have book club. I will not miss book club!

We were supposed to get maybe 2 inches. This morning I shoveled 4 inches off the driveway. I let the kids do part of their schoolwork early this morning, go play outside for a few hours, and then finish their work up this afternoon. This is only our second snow worth mentioning this entire winter which is sad. We live in Michigan where we should be getting a lot more snow than this.

Well, the wind just picked up...steady at about 18 mph. and gusting to 25. I predict snow drifting on the back roads. DD went to bed early (for her that means before 5-7 a.m. because she works nights) and has no idea what it's like out there. She has to work tonight and first responders don't get to call in, "I'm not coming in because of the roads." Since her alarm is set for her regular get-up time, I'm going to do something that most parents do not do for 21 year olds, I'm going to wake her up an hour early. Safety trumps everything and I don't want her driving too fast for road conditions to get to work on time.

Faith

Well, the wind just picked up...steady at about 18 mph. and gusting to 25. I predict snow drifting on the back roads. DD went to bed early (for her that means before 5-7 a.m. because she works nights) and has no idea what it's like out there. She has to work tonight and first responders don't get to call in, "I'm not coming in because of the roads." Since her alarm is set for her regular get-up time, I'm going to do something that most parents do not do for 21 year olds, I'm going to wake her up an hour early. Safety trumps everything and I don't want her driving too fast for road conditions to get to work on time.

Faith

Your daughter is a paramedic, right? I'm sure she'll be glad to be awakened early with roads that have gotten so bad. When I lived in snow country, I hated the times that I slept to my normal time and didn't realize the roads had gotten bad! Enjoy the snow, and I hope you all stay safe. I'm a little jealous!

We had a few inches. We had to move to a new neighborhood because the old house was making me sick. In this neighborhood, the snow plow randomly dumps snow into the yards every 5 or 10 houses. As we drove home from dinner with friends in our old neighborhood, the kids saw the piles and hoped for one in our yard.

Well, we lucked out and we have a small mountain of snow in our front yard, you would have thought we won a million dollars or something, they were so excited. We let them play for a while, later than they usually get to play outside and they were happier than if they had each received $100 to spend on toys!!

So, dear snowplow driver: my children thank you for picking our yard to dump snow on, they are enjoying it very much.