Menu

Absolutes to see in Venice

dhudson

My dh has a conference outside of Venice and I get to go! We will have 2 days in Venice before the conference and while I have several guidebooks, I was wondering if anyone has advice of the must sees.

I will most likely be going to Padua by myself and possibly Verona with dh. I would love advice on those, as well.

Thanks!

You can easily spend 2 days exploring Venice. One day in the city itself and another day island hopping in its lagoon. Padua and Verona are both lovely cities if you have more then two days in Venice. Be sure to check into a Multi-Day Travel Card. With a vaporetto (water bus) costing €7 for one ride you will save time and money buying a 12-hour to 7 day Travel Card. These travel cards will also cover transportation to the islands in Venice's lagoon. Venice's greatest sight is the city itself - wandering, shopping, getting lost, people watching!

Venice Sights:

· Rialto Bridge Market - hopping open market open daily

· Walk and wander – eat gelato!

· Shop – shops are generally open from 9:00-13:00 & 15:00-19:30.

· St. Mark’s Square - people watch! - spectacular at night

· St. Mark’s Basilica – free, open 9:45-17:00 (I'd skip the interior if the lines are long . . . not that exciting)

· Doge’s Palace (Palazzo Ducale) – open 8:30-18:30, €14, includes admission to the Correr Museum; if

the line is long, buy your ticket at the Correr Museum across the square; then you can go straight to the

Doge’s turnstile, skirting along to the right of the long ticket-buying line and entering at the

“prepaid tickets†entrance.

· Museo Correr – uncrowded museum giving the overview of Venetian history and art

(memorabilia, armor, banners, statues and paintings, English descriptions).

· Island Hopping in Venice's Lagoon

* Murano is famous for its glassmaking.

* Burano is known for its lacemaking and countless lace shops.

It's been 6-7 years since I went to Venice, but I liked the "Hidden Venice" guide. It lists suggestions from writers, scholars, artists, etc.; they range from favorite restaurants/shops to favorite walks. My favorite gem was an alleyway that ended at the water--perfect place to eat lunch and relax with a book.

You do know that I just turned green with envy, right?

Would it be terribly inconvenient if I crawled into your luggage? I wouldn't be too much of a bother. Promise!

I would love to take you as it would be lovely to have a travel partner while my dh is in meetings.

Thanks for starting this thread! We're going in a few weeks with dd who is doing study abroad in the UK. We went to Italy once but only spent a few days in Venice, now we'll be there for a week. We're excited about exploring a bit deeper!

We loved the glass blowing in Murano. And we enjoyed a gondola ride. My dd loved watching the artists paint masks.

Back, finally!

I love Venice. It's the one city that you can go through and never see the same thing twice. Most of the regular touristy- things to do are okay and live up to their name, but I would strongly consider signing up for a tour to the Doge's Palace. The "secret" tour will take you through the prison and inner walls, showing you where people like Casanova were kept. Definitely stop to watch the paper/book making and the masks. I have a card upstairs with the address of a tiny, nicely priced leather mask shop. I'll pm it to you if you like.

The islands are all lovely. Burano makes lace and is picturesque. Murano has the glass blowers.

My best trips have been when I pick a theme and visit through that. There is the Marco Polo walk (visiting his old doorframe of his house, and continuing until you reach the church), the geocaching (several there), and several others. Then again, I like wandering, too. There are so many lovely alleys to get lost in and something new around every corner.

Verona, on the other hand, is much more neatly laid out. You can do the entire inner city in a day. Get the CityPass/VeronaPass at the train station when you get in and it will give you access to the museums (including amphitheater) and autobuses.Enjoy the R&J kitch, Verona prides itself on it and do it well. If you have the chance, get tickets to a show at the coliseum. It is still in operation and directly in the heart of downtown. The only thing I would suggest not wasting much time on is the Palace Vecchio/Castello Vecchio(?) As dh put it, you can only spend so much time looking at religious art. The museum is big. You won't have a chance to get out to the groves near Lake Garda without a car but the best olive oil and balsamic vinegar is made just outside the city at Bonamini. The bottles should be sold in the city, too. It would be a nice souvenir to bring back with you.

We have not yet made it to Padua. You'll have to let me know how it is. :)

• 2 weeks later...

On days when St. Mark’s Basilica is not "lit up" inside it may not be spectacular, but when it is, Oh my! It looks like Abi Baba's cave. The whole ceiling is inlaid with gold.

The day we arrived (by good luck) it was lit. Spectacular. So magnificent that we went back the next day. I thought I was in the wrong place. But that wasn't possible. I asked the guard and he expanded they lit the interior on (if memory serves) Sundays and important holidays. If you can go on a day when the lights are blazing it is a sight you will never forget.

Bill

Thanks, all! I had the best time. Venice is magical. Even though it was cold, I couldn't have asked for a better trip. I loved getting lost in the maze that is Venice and coming around a corner and finding something else special. I really enjoyed the trips to Murano, Burano and Torcello. I brought home much glass and lace from the islands. Sitting and having a latte and eating a pastry in sight of the Grand Canal was amazing.

I didn't like Padua quite as well as I enjoyed Verona. The old Bastion walls and the Arena were spectacular!

I thought studying Latin really helped as we could atleast figure out the roots of the word and figure out where we needed to go or what to eat.

Bill, it was Sunday when we visited San Marco and the Basilica was lit up and beautiful.