Menu

Have you ever had a substitute for a few days? Did they get things done?

violamama

My parents and (maybe) sister are watching the boys for rather rest of the week while I travel for business.

I gave my mom a list of things to do and copied the pages of our math, language, and bible currics. I threw in our 7 yo's piano book and some file folder games for the little guy. I'm SO curious to see what happens. Earlier this year I had my appendix out in an emergency surgery and they had them for a week, but I didn't have time to prepare. They improvised and had a great time anyway.

This time I went for a minimized version of our routine.

Does anybody else do that? I'm wishing I had thought to ask sooner to get tips from you guys.

We're doing it for the rest of this week. I went over the schedule with my kid and let the sitter know what he'll be doing. We made some modifications to keep the day the same length and have minimal teaching:

-science is dropped altogether.

-math is being done online, where I can check each evening.

-to replace the time spent in science, 2 extra grammar and literature lessons are being done each day. (he likes them and they're easy)

-history is a choice of book/movie report or opinion essay.

-writing is WWS

Piano practice won't get done but that'll be okay.

We have only done this once before, and that was when I went into labor. At that time I gave him access to T4L, put an hour's worth in the schedule each day, and did regular math, light history and science.

My husband does for me, but we worked together before kids and were used to handing off projects to one another. My Mom was supposed to do so for my sister back in the day. That didn't work so well, mostly due to my Mom's temperament. It sounds like your parents did a good job on the fly last time! I would be sure to give them some leeway to improvise some again (maybe some optional books, etc) in addition to the core work you want done. That way they can give the week their "flare" and still accomplish most of what you want.

Yes. I sent work to the babysitter for a week when the girls were in third grade.

I realized I should only expect them to do busy work I don't care about. And because of that, I'll never send work to a babysitter again, unless it is something they can do 100% independently.

I'd never ask my mom to supervise work, but that's our dynamic. I did have my MiL supervise work when they stayed at her house for a few days.

In hind sight, it was probably just better to let them have time with grandma. Those few days didn't make a difference.

My kids are all still young (10 and under) and I'm probably a bit of a control freak so can't imagine anyone else substituting and getting things done. Certain subjects would be fine, but for writing, math, and piano lessons, I don't think a substitute would understand our dynamic and be able to effectively facilitate what the kids need to get done. I guess it feels like work to guide them through those three subjects--keeping the kids' attitudes on track and managing periodic meltdowns (with a 1st, 3rd, and 5th grader it seems like every day at least one of them will get frustrated with one of those subjects and need help dealing with not only the schoolwork, but their emotions). Also, if this is not a regular ongoing absence, I would think at their young ages that it doesn't matter if they "miss" a week of (traditional) schooling.

I've had my parents and in laws sub for a few days and it never works out well. Next time, I'll reduce the work load to things my kids can do completely independently or just give them a week off. My subs have been bad about making sure work gets done (I'm sorry, he didn't have time to do his math because he spent all day playing and then he was too tired by 9pm when we got around to it. :banghead: ). They graded assignments incorrectly or gave them poor instructions, let sloppy work slide, taught them incorrect things (said there was no Egypt in the time of Abraham!) and overall, I felt it was harder to recover from my subs than it would be to just let the kids off for a few days.

Just talked to mom. She didn't see the bag of hs stuff, so they had a great time without school today. She's game to try it tomorrow.

Today they:

rode bikes to the end of the road

used real hand saws on a tree in the lower field

made a "store" in the garage

found slugs

found moths

got to watch a tv show

learned a little about square roots (???) because the 7 yo asked my dad to explain them (dude, we jussst learned to add numbers that require carrying!)

My MIL did some work with my kids when she was babysitting one day. I didn't even assign it, and had planned to get to it when I was back home. They did math and DD did a WWE assignment. MIL is a retired teacher, and she figured it out :)

DH pitches in here and there, but recently took completely over for a couple of weeks after my c-section. He did pretty well, but going through some of the work later, I saw DD pulled some things (big, sloppy handwriting, for example) that she wouldn't have even attempted with me. DH said she pranked the sub, LOL.

Yep, it turned out they didn't open a single book, though they did go to CC.

My 7 yo rode his bike without training wheels, they made wooden airplanes & ships & painted them, and went swimming.

They filled the entire garage with white paper/marker signs, sticks from the yard, rocks they found, homemade measuring paper strips.

I'm no unschooler (bring on the cycles, the depth, the trivium! of classical education), but it was a fine, fine week.

If we have to do it again this way, I suppose I'll still throw in the books in case somebody's got a broken bone or something.