Menu

Downton Abbey Season Finale

ktgrok

Shrimpie Connery - yes, that was a travesty.

Anyone want to start a pool, you know, like a baby pool or football pool, with a guess of how much time they'll flyover from the end of the last show to the beginning of next? I'm guessing that baby will be a three year old by the time season four premieres.

Shrimpie Connery - yes, that was a travesty.

Anyone want to start a pool, you know, like a baby pool or football pool, with a guess of how much time they'll flyover from the end of the last show to the beginning of next? I'm guessing that baby will be a three year old by the time season four premieres.

Julian Fellowes said Season 4 begins six months after Matthew's death.

I just watched the Season Finale. :crying:

I didn't know the actor wanted to leave, so I didn't know it was coming! I

had seen a spoiler that said "the tragedy" and when I saw Thomas start to get beat up

I thought that was it, that he was going to get killed.

I am not happy with Matthew dying! He sort of annoyed me but I didn't

want him to die...I wanted the couple to be happy together. I spent two seasons

rooting for them, and watching their love grow...and now it's over.

I know it's stupid because it's just a dumb show. But I feel so sad...it makes me

think about what if that happened to DH... :bored:

Sorry to be so sappy...stupid show...

I was devastated when the episode ended because it was so harsh. I agree with others who said they could have written him off in another way... leave it open for him to return at some point, maybe? Anyway, in my shock, I googled and found this: http://www.telegraph...nton-Abbey.html. I do wish him well, and I commend him for wanting other things (most importantly time with his family), but I will miss him with Mary.

I also wondered if they would explore the Mary/Branson story line since they both understand that deep loss. It will be interesting, I'm sure.

I'm not done with the show, but I can fully understand how some people are.

Aww. I'm glad you posted this link. I had avoided all spoilers, but peripherally had an inkling someone died AND I heard Dan Stevens wanted out. As soon as Lord Grantham started espousing how great Matthew was, dh and I looked at each other and did a finger across the neck. It didn't make the final scene any less shocking!

Overall, each season has been ever so slightly more disappointing than the last, BUT I'm still addicted! I found the Downstairs story lines more interesting than the Upstairs story lines this time around. I hope next season is the last and they make it a good one!

But IS Matthew REALLY dead? He blew up in France a while back, then came back to life, then rose up out of the wheelchair to "sire an heir" for Downton (perhaps). ;)

I wonder two things: Is that baby really Matthew's baby? Ahem. Sorry, Mary, I do wonder.

And: Will that annoying Patrick come back? If so, I hope they get a better actor, we couldn't stand is overacting.

Depending on how much notice they had that the Matthew guy was leaving, they could have done something else besides kill him off. With the way the storyline was progressing, death did seem to be the choice that wasn't as contrived as another ending would be, but it would've only taken 3 episodes or so to rework it so something else was a logical conclusion to his character.

Depending on how much notice they had that the Matthew guy was leaving, they could have done something else besides kill him off. With the way the storyline was progressing, death did seem to be the choice that wasn't as contrived as another ending would be, but it would've only taken 3 episodes or so to rework it so something else was a logical conclusion to his character.

I really don't see how, unless they also 'logically concluded' Mary. The actor would not agree to sporadic appearances. Unless they sent him to India? Then he could communicate with Mary through letters.

I really don't see how, unless they also 'logically concluded' Mary. The actor would not agree to sporadic appearances. Unless they sent him to India? Then he could communicate with Mary through letters.

I don't have a specific idea that I thought would work, only that the storyline could have been tweaked where either he leaves, she has an issue that causes him to leave, he's called away for a noble purpose, or leaves for a not-so-noble purpose. But when them so happily in love, leaving really didn't make sense, thus his death.

My three thoughts on DT:

1. Edith has got to stop picking her own boyfriends. What is wrong with that girl?? Good grief!

2. I'm so glad they got rid of that maid and I hope she's gone for good. I focused more on her story in the finale than anything else. She really got on my nerves.

3. People on that show have GOT to stop having babies. Really someone always dies when a baby is expected. Cora lost her baby in the fall, then Sybil and now Matthew! Seriously people, let that be enough BC for all of you!