Menu

If you had just joined a new forum, would you...

Catwoman

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Going OT for a minute -- Did you guys know that you can rate your own topic? I just tried it to see if it would work, and it did! I gave this topic a 2 out of 5 rating. I don't know why. I just clicked on the second star to see what would happen.

Now I feel kind of bad that I didn't rate my own thread higher. It was at 3 stars, but my vote dragged it down to a measly 2 stars. How depressing. :(

Hey, in my defense, who knew it would work? :glare: I didn't think you'd be allowed to rate your own thread. Seems sorta biased to me!

Going OT for a minute -- Did you guys know that you can rate your own topic? I just tried it to see if it would work, and it did! I gave this topic a 2 out of 5 rating. I don't know why. I just clicked on the second star to see what would happen.

Now I feel kind of bad that I didn't rate my own thread higher. It was at 3 stars, but my vote dragged it down to a measly 2 stars. How depressing. :(

Hey, in my defense, who knew it would work? :glare: I didn't think you'd be allowed to rate your own thread. Seems sorta biased to me!

Well I rated it a 5, looks like someone else did too, so now it is up to 4

Well I rated it a 5, looks like someone else did too, so now it is up to 4

Thank you! :)

I'm feeling much better already! :D

But really, who knew you could rate your own thread??? Did everyone know this except me? Could I have appeared much more popular over the past couple of months simply by clicking on that 5-star rating thingie every time I started a new thread?

I'm always a little late to the party. :glare:

;) ;) ;) ;)

Thank you! :)

I'm feeling much better already! :D

But really, who knew you could rate your own thread??? Did everyone know this except me? Could I have appeared much more popular over the past couple of months simply by clicking on that 5-star rating thingie every time I started a new thread?

I'm always a little late to the party. :glare:

;) ;) ;) ;)

I did not know you could rate a thread. Does that make you feel any better? :D

Thanks, Tita! I guess that makes sense. I was just thinking that I, personally, would feel weird going to a a completely unrelated forum to ask about a sensitive topic that had nothing to do with the purpose of that forum. It would be sort of like going to a dog breeders forum to ask for people's opinions about homeschooling. The people might be very nice, but I'm not sure how much I would trust their views on home education. :D

Or it would be like lurking for awhile at a dog breeders' forum because that's a subject of interest to you, and feeling like you've come to know and respect certain voices ... so you register and post for insight into an unrelated topic (in a subforum for topics unrelated to the purpose of the forum) because you've developed a one-sided sense of community that (due to lurking) is unfortunately not shared by the larger community (whose sense of "community" is rightly limited to active posters).

The people might be very nice, and while you may not trust their views on home education ... you would have lurked enough to know which screen names/online personalities can offer reasonable insight into the (or any) unrelated topic. :D

Or it would be like lurking for awhile at a dog breeders' forum because that's a subject of interest to you, and feeling like you've come to know and respect certain voices ... so you register and post for insight into an unrelated topic (in a subforum for topics unrelated to the purpose of the forum) because you've developed a one-sided sense of community that (due to lurking) is unfortunately not shared by the larger community (whose sense of "community" is rightly limited to active posters).

The people might be very nice, and while you may not trust their views on home education ... you would have lurked enough to know which screen names/online personalities can offer reasonable insight into the (or any) unrelated topic. :D

Oh! OK! I see what you mean now. I was kind of clueless in my last post -- sorry about that! :blush:

The way you explained it now makes a lot of sense to me. You'd go there and lurk for a while to get an idea as to some of the members' personalities, and if they seemed like sensible people, you'd assume they might offer you some solid, unbiased advice.

I hadn't thought about it that way, but I can see how that could work! :)

I knew that you could rate your own thread.

I rated my own once. I won't tell you which one it was. It had been so popular and then someone gave it a lower rating, so I brought it back up to five stars. LOL. Don't tell anyone.

I never voted on any other thread, as far as I recall.

Me too. I used to be carded all the way up until 35!!!

My too, and I've not been carded for years....

Then, a few months ago, I got carded at Walmart for buying a knife. Apparently, you have to be 16!! (I have some gray hair and was with my husband and children, and also my in-Laws.) We all laughed hysterically at the woman and I never actually produced any ID.

I've been lurking here for about 4 years now, and finally signed up for an acct. when the board changed over. I feel like I know a lot of y'all. I signed up with the intention of posting and still find myself lurking. I tend to search for answers to any questions I have regarding homeschooling, and I've always found my answers here on the board already so I've never needed to post a question. I enjoy reading a lot of the posts on the chat board and I agree it is strange when someone without many post starts a thread like you mentioned.

I need to start posting more.