Menu

PSA regarding "save the date" wedding announcements...

Ellie

People were invited to your cousin's ceremony and not the reception? That is a new one for me. Have never heard of doing that to guests!

That is fairly common.

In the Catholic Church a wedding (and funeral) mass is open to all in the parish. The reception (if there is one) is a private affair for invitees only. Some times a couple will have a very small wedding and a very large reception. Or a very large wedding and a very small reception. That has been very common through the ages.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is fairly common.

In the Catholic Church a wedding (and funeral) mass is open to all in the parish. The reception (if there is one) is a private affair for invitees only. Some times a couple will have a very small wedding and a very large reception. Or a very large wedding and a very small reception. That has been very common through the ages.

Same for EO in most parishes. Sacraments are for the parish community. Receptions are private parties. If the reception is on-site in the parish hall, though, often the reception also is "open door." Up to the families involved.

I appreciate them because I like having a visual reminder to check my calendar (and possible upcoming conflicts) and so that I can make travel arrangements if necessary. I had my niece's save-the-date card on my fridge for weeks while I shopped around for flights. I just tossed it because I received her wedding invitation today and that will be reminder enough to make our car and hotel reservations.

Yup, I'm with you on all counts. And in this case, it wasn't only the formal, printed card; it was a refrigerator magnet. The bride spent a fortune on those, I'm sure.

Furthermore, because I did not RSVP to the save-the-date announcement, I did not recieve an invitation to the wedding. :blink: :huh:

I can't see spending a ton of money on one. My niece made hers out of decent card stock and a quality printer and they were simple, but lovely. (There are kits to make magnets - they can be found at any office supply store.) The biggest expense for her was postage. But, seeing that most of her family will be coming in from out of town, it really saved time on phone calls as she heads into busy season as a CPA. But requiring an RSVP from that is just plain stupid. I've never heard of that.

I think save the date cards are fine. I can't really see why they're a problem. I think some of the reason that people are doing save the date cards is because of having to book venues so far ahead, since you can give people the opportunity of not booking their next years holiday the same day as your wedding you might as well.

People were invited to your cousin's ceremony and not the reception? That is a new one for me. Have never heard of doing that to guests!

No. There were three parts. Ceremony. Photos/Supper. Reception with light lunch.

Everyone was invited to the cermony and reception. Not everyone was invited to supper and wedding/family photos.

But, I have heard of people only being invited to the ceremony and not the reception. And vice versa. My parents went to a wedding a couple years ago that they were only invited to the reception and not the ceremony. The couple got married in a teeny-tiny, old little country church that could only fit about 25 people, but had a larger reception.

It's not uncommon. That is, it's common enough that Miss Manners addresses it in at least one of her books. :-)

I think save the date cards are fine. I can't really see why they're a problem. I think some of the reason that people are doing save the date cards is because of having to book venues so far ahead, since you can give people the opportunity of not booking their next years holiday the same day as your wedding you might as well.

I know this was true for us. We got married December 30 because we were working around dh's leave schedule from prototype.

Every time I have flipped through the channels and spent a few minutes watching one of those wedding shows on TV, I have thought that the grooms seemed like nothing more than props for the brides. I swear, some of those women just wanted a wedding. I think they would have married any guy who asked, and who could afford a fancy reception and honeymoon!

Those people get put on TV because they ARE like that. Normal, sane people don't get put on television because they are too "boring."