Menu

Middle Ages Study

My ds really liked the Magic Treehouse Knights and Castles Research Guide. Here is a free lapbook to go along with it. Homeschool share has some other great resources here. Here are some other resource books we've enjoyed. Ds isn't much of a fiction reader, so we tend to stick with non-fiction when it comes to history.

Explore Within Medieval Castle

Days of Knights and Damsels

My ds really liked the Magic Treehouse Knights and Castles Research Guide. Here is a free lapbook to go along with it. Homeschool share has some other great resources here. Here are some other resource books we've enjoyed. Ds isn't much of a fiction reader, so we tend to stick with non-fiction when it comes to history.

Explore Within Medieval Castle

Days of Knights and Damsels

Thank ypou very much!

These are the books both of my dds have enjoyed the most for their first rotation through the Medieval time period:

We use Our Island Story and A Child's History of the World for our spine readings:

Viking Tales by Jennie Hall

Door in the Wall by Marguerite de Angeli

Fine Print: A Story About Johann Gutenberg by Joann J. Burch

Saladin by Diane Stanely

Arabs in the Golden Age by Mokhtar Moktefi

Joan of Arc by Diane Stanely

Good Queen Bess by Diane Stanley

Bard of Avon by Diane Stanley

Michelangelo by Diane Stanley

Leonardo da Vinci by Diane Stanley

My older dd has enjoyed these for her second roation:

The latter part of this study was completed in 9th grade....

We used The Story of England by Samuel Harding through the Middle Ages, but decided we didn't care for it....we then moved to Renaissance and Reformation Times by Dorothy Mills (which we loved). Once we discoverd the books by D. Mills we knew we would have used her book on the Middle Ages instead of the Harding book had we known about it at the time.

We used The Viking Portable Renaissance Reader for a large but great collection of primary sources. They also have a book for the Middle Ages.

The Story of France by Mary MacGregor (She hasn't finished this but does enjoy reading it.)

Son of Charlemagne by Barbara Willard

In the Days of Queen Elizabeth by Eva March Tappan

Hound of Ulster by Rosemary Sutcliff

Otto of the Siver Hand by Howard Pyle

He Went With Marco Polo by Louise A. Kent

On the Trail of Merlin: A Guidebook ot the Western Mystery Tradition by Rich and Begg

King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table by Roger L. Green

Bulfinch's Mythology (Age of Charlemagne and Age of Chivalry)

Mabinogion translated by Davies

Mabon and the Guardians of Celtic Britain by C. Matthews (guide for the Mabinogion)

The Song of Taliesin: Stories and Poems from the Books of Broceliande (Matthews)

Great Tales from English History (Volumes 1-3) by Robert Lacey (She just finished these....Volume 3 moves into the modern time period)

Fierce Wars and Faithful Loves (Maynard)

Utopia (More)

Shakespeare's sonnets and Henry V

Everyman (a morality play)

I thnk I'm missing some here, but these are some....

We also watched a number of documentaries and have watched some TC lectures (with plans to finish these)...

Gotta make a trebuchet! :)

We also made stained glass windows on parchment paper (the baking kind) and played with wax seals.

As for subjects, my sons found vikings and the plague to be the most fascinating (I know, morbid).

Certainly cover chivalry, the fact that romance became popular among men as well as women, development of weapons and castles, manorialism vs/& feudalism.

We used many of the same books as Kfamily. I'll add a few:

Son of Charlemagne

Red Keep (just finished this last night and ages 7-adult loved it!! a bit bloody in places though)

Augustine Came to Kent

Beggar's Beasts and Easter Fire

Trial and Triumph

The Star and the Sword

Adam of the Road

Big John's Secret

The Apple and the Arrow

If All the Swords in England

Hidden Treasure of Glaston

A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver (didn't care for the concept of people speaking from heaven, but the history aspect was great)

Robin Hood (of course!)

We also really liked the videos of the David MacCauley books: Castle and Cathedral.

Movies to watch: El Cid; Ivanhoe (the old one with James Mason); Brother Sun, Sister Moon

We listened to An Island Story on Librivox -- it was great!

We'll be doing this next year as well. I purchased Diana Waring's History Revealed: Romans, Reformers, & Revolutionaries (covers Middle Ages), as well as MP's history program: Famous Men of the Middle Ages with their cards and Literature. Should be a very in-depth study and very interesting.

• 1 month later...

One of our all time favorites is Terry Jones' Medieval Lives documentaries. Netflix used to have them streaming but I think they're only DVD now.

Amazon has the set for $19.00.

I don't know that the 3rd grader would get some of the humor ...you would want to preview. My 4th and 7th graders love them. :)

We're sort of living a Middle Ages Study by participating in the Society for Creative Anachronism -- I have two pinterest board that have all kinds of Middle Ages related links: lots of garb, and a smattering of history, maps, games, weapons, toys, etc.

SCA/Medieval Life and SCA Kids

Are you going to make a full-fledged "school" like you did with Harry Potter?? :laugh:

We're sort of living a Middle Ages Study by participating in the Society for Creative Anachronism -- I have two pinterest board that have all kinds of Middle Ages related links: lots of garb, and a smattering of history, maps, games, weapons, toys, etc.

SCA/Medieval Life and SCA Kids

Are you going to make a full-fledged "school" like you did with Harry Potter?? :laugh:

We are still doing Harry Potter lol! They are not wanting to stop either I think I made it too fun Thanks for the links!!! Gonna follow you as adamant academy unless it shows under my name as Dacia Capps

We are still doing Harry Potter lol! They are not wanting to stop either I think I made it too fun Thanks for the links!!! Gonna follow you as adamant academy unless it shows under my name as Dacia Capps

Your Harry Potter School is amazing! And I love your pinterest boards. Off to repin some more! :)

Homeschool In The Woods has a Passport to the Middle Ages Unit study that my boy's have enjoyed completing. We also have looked for and attended Medieval Faire's in our area.

Yes, I just bought the passport thing last month after we went to a Medieval fair lol! Great minds think alike! I also bought SOTW 2 as well to go along with it, figured I would try to match up projects to the readings. I know Amy Pak has alot of books listed to go along but I have a very limited library so I figured this would be good to have with it.