Menu

For those of you familiar with Chicago.....

We are planning a trip to Chicago. We're planning on all of the typical tourist things: American Girls Store, Navy Pier, Sears Tower, Museum of Science and Industry, Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum of Natural History, Art Museum, etc.

What are some hotels in that area that anyone would recommend? We are looking at Expedia, Travelocity and such. One hotel that keeps popping up is the Affinia Chicago Hotel. Does anyone know about that one? Any advice or recommendations is very much appreciated.

Also, I haven't flown since before 9-11 and I know things have really changed. Does anyone have any hints or advise about airports and flying now that it is so different?:confused: I am a relunctant flyer at best!

Thanks, everyone

Salinda

I've stayed in the downtown Sheraton and I believe the person who booked the room got a deal on the room and airfare combo through Expedia.com.

Also, go to the museum websites. The Field Museum is offering discount coupons on their additional exhibits. Also, there are package deals you can find for visiting several museums. It's worth checking out.

Have fun!

We are planning a trip to Chicago. We're planning on all of the typical tourist things: American Girls Store, Navy Pier, Sears Tower, Museum of Science and Industry, Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum of Natural History, Art Museum, etc.

What are some hotels in that area that anyone would recommend? We are looking at Expedia, Travelocity and such. One hotel that keeps popping up is the Affinia Chicago Hotel. Does anyone know about that one? Any advice or recommendations is very much appreciated.

Also, I haven't flown since before 9-11 and I know things have really changed. Does anyone have any hints or advise about airports and flying now that it is so different?:confused: I am a relunctant flyer at best!

Thanks, everyone

Salinda

I think the Fitzpatric is an Affinia hotel. it was fabulous!

My brother has stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel and liked it. It was on the company dime though, so I make no assurances about bargains. Also, my sister has stayed at the downtown Sheraton and been happy too.

I second the suggestion about seeing if there's some kind of "package" deal for the museums.

I also suggest putting the kids in swimsuits and swimshoes and going to Millenium Park. The fountain on Michigan Ave is good fun.

Finally, if you're staying downtown, check out the transit system. You can get everyone downtown for MUCH less than taking a cab. It's pretty easy to do, and the transit agents at the airport should be used to working with new folks.

Have fun!!!

It's fun to stay right downtown, but also frightfully expensive. You might check into Oak Park or Park Ridge. Both are a short train ride from downtown. Look into the Write Inn??? An acquaintance stayed there once and had a good experience, but I am have not personally stayed there.

For a slightly longer train ride you could try Lombard or Wheaton or Glen Ellyn, all very nice suburbs and right on the Metra train line.

Definitely take public transportation rather than a cab for everything--it's waaaay cheaper.

I liked the others' suggestions as well.

Giordano's Pizza - nuff said.

Nobody warned us. Two adults, 1 teen, and 3 children cannot eat two of their pizzas even if it is 8pm and they have all been walking the streets of Chicago in the blustery cold since 9am with only hotdogs for lunch. Even though such a group of people were be convinced that they were starving to death and could eat a million pizzas, they will not be able to finish two Giordano Stuffed Pizzas. They will have to carry their take out box onto the bus with them. And even at that, they will be convinced that their tummies will explode.

That is all.

It used to be that many of the museums had a regular free day. I think that has been changed to certain calendar days, so you may want to check and see if any coincide with your travel dates. I do know that in September, October and November, the free days for the aquarium are Mondays and Tuesdays.

OK, and since I mentioned it... Field museum free days here and Museum of science and Industry days here.

Dont forget to get anywhere you go AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE and, if you have a car, that parking can be $15-20/day.

Have Fun!!:hurray::hurray:

See if your hotel runs a shuttle from the airport.

We flew into ORD a couple of months ago and it took us about an hour and a half to get to our hotel on LaSalle. My MIL arrived the next day, and she made it in less than half the time as she took the shuttle.

And try to win Wicked, front row seats for $25 each. You do need a photo ID for those entering, though. And children under 5 cannot attend.

And I think that they might do fireworks at the Navy Pier on Wednesday nights. At least they did a couple of years ago.

Nobody warned us. Two adults, 1 teen, and 3 children cannot eat two of their pizzas even if it is 8pm and they have all been walking the streets of Chicago in the blustery cold since 9am with only hotdogs for lunch. Even though such a group of people were be convinced that they were starving to death and could eat a million pizzas, they will not be able to finish two Giordano Stuffed Pizzas. They will have to carry their take out box onto the bus with them. And even at that, they will be convinced that their tummies will explode.

That is all.

You haven't met my 10 year old. Giordano's is his favorite pizza in the world, and it's scary how much of it he can eat.