Menu

Big picture plans - have you written yours?

Do you follow Well Trained Mind almost to the word? Or have you written your own plans? Or do you just use what seems "good" to you right now?

If you've written your own big picture plans, could you tell me about how you narrowed things down and decided what to do/omit?

I seem to get carried away by every new and exciting curriculum that comes around. I need to know where I'm going. :-)

Emily

Big picture plans mean plans for the year? Or plans for multiple years?

I have written so many big picture plans (for multiple years). Every year they change, but it helps to write them out anyway. I'm getting a better idea of what I like and what I don't like. I don't follow WTM anymore, though sometimes I'll pull it out and refer to it or compare it to other things I'm looking at.

I look at Memoria Press, Highland Latin School, Kolbe Academy, Latin-Centered Curriculum, and Ambleside Online. I'm a mix between all of those. I've planned through 8th grade. High School is a mystery to me still.

Over the years I've written out huge sweeping plans multiple times. What can I say? I like spreadsheets. When I can visualize the big picture, it helps me with goals for today/this week/this year and it helps me to keep our progress in perspective. We did a little adjusting in K and 1st, but finally settled into a good plan and good curriculum choices that work for us in the grammar stage.

For about two years I felt so settled that I didn't even feel the need to look at my plans, much less adjust them or make new plans. Now my oldest is 9 and I can feel the logic stage and middle school creeping up on us. We will have reached the end of some curriculums that we have loved, so we will have to make some changes in curriculum and expectations in the next few years. Surprise, surprise, I've been making spreadsheets with plans for dd's high school course sequences. It sounds crazy, but if I can think a little about the big picture then it helps me with where we should be in 7th grade, then in 6th grade, and then in 5th grade before that. I look at things like TWTM for big picture guidance, but I also look at what the best students are doing at our local high school and I look at my own dd's strengths, interests, and goals. It's such an individual thing. I think written plans are a great thing as long as you view them as adjustable goals, not as something that is written in stone.

Yes, I've always had a plan. Grade-by-grade, kindergarten through 12th grade. As we finished a grade, I'd make sure that it reflected what we did, and then I'd work ahead to the end. I've found it very helpful to do that over the years, although of course it changes.

When they hit high school, I actually do a draft transcript that I modify as we go. It includes an attachment with the book lists. That way I have the credits lined up and there is a plan in place.

There's a planning website (Donna's forms? I forget) that I used my first couple years. Now it's just habit. Every single subject, every single year, yes I have goals. Sometimes they're more esoteric, sometimes they're very concrete (a list of skills). I also had an over-arching philosophical goal for K-8. I thought it would carry through, but actually I've been thinking for high school we'll have a new one. It's a maturity leap and deserves a statement of its own.

Don't make it complex, because complex is hard to implement. Our goal for K-8 was that she would: love God, love others, and have the skills with which to serve. That's simple, and it fits her perfectly. It means when we have the idea or option to pursue a skill, we know why. It's not a distraction but is actually fulfilling one of our GOALS for her. For high school I have some little mnemonic I've been fiddling with (3 Ds, hehe). One of them is discipline, and it leads to this idea of how DISCIPLINE (self-discipline, academic discipline, meeting deadlines, doing things you don't necessarily want to, etc.) can be a goal. But maybe you have an entirely different set of goals.

Then from year to year I'll actually write down smaller goals that hit all the aspects of her life. I'll write on the paper: social, physical, academic, etc., and I'll start brain dumping. Then I walk away and see what sticks.

It lets you know why you're doing what you're doing and how you can tweak what you're doing to accomplish your goals better. Doing math becomes more potent if you can weave in a particular skill or character trait you're working on for the year, kwim?

I keep a planning folder for each grade, and I write pages to put in it all year long. I've been planning 9th grade formally for about a month now, so I have maybe 20 pages. If I had several kids, I'd make different folders for each dc probably and then maybe have a group subject folder for things you tend to do together.

So glad I'm not the only one that does stuff like this! My kids are only 3 and 5, but the other day I sat down and sort of planned out pre k to 8th, just to see the overall picture. Like a pp said, it helps keep you in line with your goals/philosophy when planning the day to day/weekly stuff.

I just finished updating my plans for the coming years a few minutes ago, then I sign on to see this thread!

My "big picture plans" go through 8th for my oldest and 5th for my youngest right now. Next year is a deciding year for DS12 that will give me a greater ability to begin tentative high school planning, so I am holding off there.

My plans are pretty simple. I have a list of the core subjects in my master planner binder for each age level, that I call the curriculum map. then I write what I assume we will use beneath each subject. Then I pencil in more curriculum ideas as things strike my fancy to check out before purchasing curricula. As the next school year draws closer, I turn the map for that year into a full curriculum overview for the entire year.

The overview is much more detailed than the map, which just lists curriculum and book choices for each level. For example, it doesn't just list what spine we are using for history, but a highlight of topics I want to make sure we cover in depth and any projects or assignments I want to fit in. Language arts lists curriculum along with skills or milestones I want my son to hit that year. That way even if we have to change out curriculum because something isn't working, I can still look over the basic goals of the year and adjust things to meet them.

I also keep monthly progress reports on both boys in my binder. I outline all the topics we covered and they mastered in each subject, along with a reading list and extracurricular list. It helps me to look back on and make sure we are covering what I feel we need to cover, and I find it much more useful than a report card or transcript at these ages. Progress reports aren't required in my state, but it really helps keep us on track. I also feel much more accomplished in June looking back over them and realizing how much my boys really did learn!

It's good to have a "big-picture plan" - especially if you're the kind of person who needs to see where you're going (I'm that way, too). I do have long-term plans, but I'm completely willing to change them if circumstances change. I'm not too worried about anything up to high school. When my oldest reaches high school, I think we'll have to make a big change. My husband is probably going to feel better about homeschooling high school if we use a program/curriculum of some sort. So, we're considering Kolbe Academy and I really like My Father's World high school curriculum. *shrug* My husband is from a country where noooooobody homeschools. In fact, when his family found out that we were homeschooling, they were arguing over what that meant. They thought the school sent teachers to our house or something. :laugh: So, using Kolbe Academy would alleviate some hysteria. If the choice were completely mine, I would let my kids unschool high school. :sneaky2:

I've found that when I veer off course from the WTM, we start getting bogged down. I might not use all the recommended resources, but it's the general course and philosophy we follow. I need to sit down and really study the high school section before I start planning too much for this coming year.

I have a Word file with several tables on it, one for each grade starting with "Age 4 Kindergarten."

--I started this file because I am a total planning freak, and because I knew where we wanted to end up (Calculus for math, a certain level for IEW, full cycles for science and math) and worked backwards from there for some subjects.

--I also didn't want to forget something timely from year to year. When to start typing? When to start Latin or other languages? Remember to incorporate skip counting into early math years to make multiplication a snap later! 4th grade is when most public school kids learn how to spell the states and their capitals!

In 7th grade, I had a year of "Current Events" in the public school, and it taught me how to read a newspaper and primed me to know the players in the political arena. It has made me a better (more informed) citizen, and I want that for my daughters.

--The charts also keep me on track. Just like everyone else, I am on a budget for homeschooling supplies. So last year after the homeschooling convention, I made a shortlist of what I would need to save for the next year's convention. It will be an expensive year because I want to purchase IEW. I also will need Science and History curriculum (Pandia).

Knowing what I want to buy, I watch for 2nd-hand sales. I have purchased Saxon Math through Algebra at a discount price.

--Also, I pay for grades. The Word file/charts allowed me to work out what to pay for what.

K is worth 5c/lesson or page (depends on the subject).

1st is 6c/lesson or page.

2nd is 7c/lesson or page, etc.

After all, 4th grade work is harder than K work, so it should be valued as such. In the same way, a college degree usually pays better than a high school diploma. I plant this seed in my children to encourage them to aim for a college degree or grad school.

If anyone wants details on our payment schedule, feel free to PM me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I read the boards and find something clever or helpful, I cut and paste to an age-appropriate (or sometimes random) place on the file between charts.

I have a 12-year cycle for Latin.

I have a really good Learn-the-Countries program for early elementary.

The breakdown of how to succeed with Saxon: Meeting, math facts, lesson. DON'T SKIP ANY PART.

Busy Boxes for younger children, broken down by day.

HIstorical fiction books to go with HIstory Odyssey 2

Electronics book to purchase after Snap Circuits.

Khan Academy

Etc, Etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not married to these charts. They are merely a tool.

Disclaimer: my oldest daughter is 6. We have no idea how long we will homeschool. We may go all the way through 12th, or we may send her to public school if that is the best choice for our family.

Things I've ditched so far(through choice or attrition):

HW Tears: Dd is sooooooo far ahead of these books. She gets plenty of writing just in her general studies.

Spanish: FlipFlop is put away (too much writing for the year/age we tried it). We purchased Visual Link Spanish, but dd doesn't type yet. Now I'm using Usborne Spanish and making my own flashcards.

Power Spelling -- We're doing modified Power Spelling through Saxon Phonics, but the Power Spelling book is packed away in the garage.

But that is the glory of homeschooling: we can adjust things as we go along.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been planning on writing a mission statement for our homeschool. I want a guiding document, summarizing our educational goals--knowledge, skills, abilities, character qualities we want our children to have when they leave our home. The intention is that a mission statement will keep me on track when choosing curriculum, extracurriculars, and other activities. If something doesn't contribute to the goals in the mission statement, it may be not be worth our time or money.

I don't know that long-term curriculum planning would be a good use of time for ME. At least not with specific curriculum. We're still in kindergarten and I'm already prepared to acknowledge that I have no idea where my kids individually or my family as a whole will be in the coming years. I currently intend to follow the WTM schedule roughly, but I can't get any more specific than that. (And honestly, there are days where I very seriously consider CM, too, so....yeah, I probably shouldn't devote much time to long-term specifics.)

I don't plan but I do have a guiding mission statement and goals for each subject. For instance: "Able to choose STEM major at top college without requiring remediation." Or "Ability to competently and independently travel abroad by age 18." I'm actually pretty unschooly about everything but the 3R's, so I'm quite prepared to diverge from The WTM. I keep a list of interesting curricula, books, and tools for future reference.

Yes, I have a rough plan through 6th grade so far. DD is not quite 5. I want to have an idea of where we're going through 12th before we get too far so I can work backward to start what we need to on time to stay on track. I have an excel sheet broken down by grade and I use it to make note of things that catch my attention for a certain grade/age or for curriculum that I want to look into more in depth when it gets closer. The next few years are pretty simple with just a list of my current curriculum choices with a backup or two for each subject in case our first pick doesn't work out for us. Then it branches out a bit more into a general idea of what we should cover with maybe some options. I don't spend a ton of time on it, but it's something I enjoy and it relaxes me to work on and just to know that we have some long term goals in place.

We followed WTM very closely up through 7th grade. I didn't write out long term goals, because I had the manual and a vague direction in my head. Each year I write up specific goals for the year...but mostly they are things like "finish Rod and Staff 5th grade book" or "WWE 4." Helpful, no? But I like to go back every month or two and remember what I'm supposed to be doing...it makes me feel like I am accomplishing something!

I have always done this but my plans have changed drastically over the years (sometimes several times a year) as I learned what worked for us and what was actually realistic and honed in on my philosophy of education over time through reading and experience. We found a program that worked for us (Classical Conversations) and it became the basis on which to build. We follow their recommendations because I have found them to fit our family well and my philosophy, as well as being mostly non-consumable and therefore less expensive over the long haul. I continue to find ways to pare down my curriculum and base what we are doing off of the resources they sell (much of which is designed to make the parents better teachers). I do add in a few things from WTM and Teaching the Trivium such as Building Thinking Skills and McGuffey Readers. We use the Bob Books even though CC doesn't sell them because Leigh Bortins used them with her boys and speaks highly of them and I have had great success with my third child using these combined with The Writing Road to Reading methodology. I added memory work in poetry and catechism and more scripture and character traits. I have seen recommendations for this in one or more of those three books except for character, but that is just something I have seen bear fruit in our home and we do it in a classical style. We're using YesPhonics currently which is very close to The Writing Road but I am thinking of just making my own program using the phonograms and spelling rules in the Essentials guide and some Bob Books, etc. I think I understand how to teach reading now after teaching 3 of them and using many different programs. I also add in Greek but I use the same curriculum that CC recommends for Latin and I love it. We start IEW earlier than CC does but I think it helps prepare them well for the harder IEW books in 4th-6th. I use a book CC sells called The Dictation Resource Book to teach my kids additional grammar in the younger grades to prepare them for Essentials as well. So I am basically using what they have available or adding in things that are recommended somewhere in the things they have published online or in books. And then I add in a ton of great reference books and living books and literature.

I lay out our curriculum from preschool through 6th grade in detail and for 7th-12th I know they will be in the Challenge program but I also have specific subjects I want to add in. I will decide on which curricula to fill those extra subjects when we get there. I try to stick with the same programs all the way through from as early as they are able to start it until 6th grade or so. That brings continuity. So we use Saxon Math, Building Thinking Skills, Latin's Not So Tough, and Hey Andrew from preschool or K on up. We will use Spelling Plus from K on up and we use McGuffey Readers from K on up (Bob Books before that). We are also using the McCall Harby and Crabbs books for reading comprehension from 1st grade up. We use two sources to make a literature list for each grade (Writing Road to Reading and Veritas Press) and two sources to build most of our read aloud list (A Thomas Jefferson Education and Teaching the Classics). I am trying as much as possible to take the Essentials program (for 4th-6th grade) and trickle it down to the younger ones and use the Dictation Resource Book to fill in any gaps and extend it up to the Essentials years in the form of review. I use Teaching the Classics to teach literature terms from 1st grade on up. We do memory work (and the context) together and tailor their notebooking and related reading requirements to their age level. They rotate through two IEW books in 2nd and 3rd grade and through 3 IEW books in 4th-6th. They are all doing PreScripts from K on up (though my preschoolers will color in it and trace the drawings) and they start with manuscript with me before that. Having everything laid out by grade level makes it easy for them to know what is coming up next and makes it easy for me to reorder books for the next year. It means the older kids can help the younger ones and the younger ones get to preview what they will be doing in the upcoming years. In this way it is like a one room schoolhouse and there are so many benefits to that.

Planning is easy this way because everything goes like stair steps in the independent subjects or it stays the same year after year (most of our language arts) or it goes in a 3 year cycle. I know which books to buy for each individual child for individual subjects and only have to buy cards, manuals, and cds for my oldest. The subjects that stay the same need no replacing. The cycles are a lot of work the first time through but the second time through it will be so easy for me to set up and organize and there will be less and less to buy from my book list and less to print and organize from CC Connected.

I do recommend making a long term plan. It always helps to have an idea where you are going, but don't be surprised if it takes several years to solidify that as you try different methods and programs until you find the one that truly resonates with your family. Now all I do is tweak instead of doing major overhauls and I am able to finally let go of the things I know we aren't going to use...... But we may have to go back through this process when my oldest gets to 7th grade......

You know, I just started thinking about to because I'm starting to plan for my younger ds 1st grade year. We started out with. Waldorf-based program for my older ds and loved it- until it wasn't available for 3rd grade and we didn't like the other Waldorf options. So, after scrambling to try to put together my own, and eventually going the CM route (and finding it was a great fit), I'm now wondering if I should incorporate more CM for my younger son in the early years because we are trying to catch up with history for my 3rd grader to do a complete Year 4 CM in the fall.

So, yes, I think a big picture is a good idea.

I want to spend some time planning out a big overview through 8th grade for my dc. High school is entirely it's own beast though so I don't plan to go there until later. My oldest ds really wants to play high school football and I don't know if he's going to go full time or not (I'm really hoping not...).

I have written a mission statement and goals out 5 years. We are three years into that five-year projection, and I need to sit down with it and modify a bit, but for the most part we are on track.

The thing has helped the most is the mission statement. The finer details nearly always work themselves out, but it helps to see that we are moving closer to fulfilling the vision that we set out to achieve.