Menu

Rethinking our writing curriculum. IEW? Essentials in Writing?

Dahliarw

Yeah, I'm that crazy OCD type A already thinking about next fall!

I'll have a 1st grader and a 3rd grader. With my oldest I've been using WWE, and we did level 1 and are currently on level 2. I'm also using FLL (level 2 now) and AAS (level 3 now).

I'm looking for something for my oldest that will get him doing more than just copywork and dication. I think he's ready to start more actual writing and that he'd find it more interesting.

I was looking at Institute For Excellence in Writing (IEW). I'm trying to figure out what a lesson actually consists of (and yikes! 10 hours of parent dvds?)? Will I spend a ton of time directly teaching, or is it pretty student directed? Are the lessons laid out?

I also stumbled across Essentials in Writing. I like that it seems to be very easy for the child to pop in the CD and watch the lecture and then do the assignment. With 2 kiddos that would simplify my day greatly. It also seems to incorporate grammar?

I'm not sure if I'm going to do WWE with my youngest or do the same program (different levels obviously) of the 2 mentioned above.

If you've used either IEW or Essentials in Writing I'd love to hear your experience. And if there is another writing program you've just loved I'd like to hear about it too!

Thanks!

I'm using IEW, but I've never seen Essentials. I borrowed the TWSS set from a friend. During the summer a year ago, I was able to go through the entire program in a two week spread. I used a theme book with ds last year. I'm leading SWI-A in a co-op class this year. I love the program, but what has made it great for me is that I actually know how to grade it. I have a math degree, and this program seems like a formula because it has a check list.

Ds is not a person who wants to write creatively; therefore, this program has worked well thus far. It involves a lot of rewriting other material into your own words. I can't help but feel a skill such as that is going to be very useful when it comes to research papers and the like.

I bought the IEW (TWSS and SWI-A combo). It has been the best writing program that I have used. (I have not used EIW).

One can either listen to the TWSS all at once, or else listen to one section at a time as you come to it in the SWI program. I have received quite a bit of very good training about teaching writing. Writing was one of the subjects I had the most trouble teaching when I first started homeschooling. With IEW, I feel confident in teaching writing. I have seen good results in the short-term with my kids, and I am confident in the long-term plan of the program after hearing Andrew Pudewa speak in person.

IEW has been especially helpful for my son who at first did not enjoy writing. He might have been described as one of those pencil phobic types of kids, but now in 4th he easily writes three paragraph essays. The DVD's are funny and entertaining, and Andrew Pudewa is particularly focused on helping boys in his classes. The checklist of stylistic techniques is one of the best features of the program. I use it for almost all of our writing assignments.

I can't say anything bad about IEW. I am so glad I coughed up the money for the TWSS-SWI combo. It has been the best resource for teaching writing that I have found.

I always wanted to use IEW but never could afford it. Stumbled upon Essentials in Writing and so far so good. We have done levels 5 and 7.

Yeah, IEW is expensive. I have 3 kids, so I figure I will get my money out of whatever I choose.

As far as EIW, does it include grammar or would I need to do that in addition? How long have you been using it? Do your kids like it?

Thanks!

I am using Essentials In Writing with my kids. This is our first year and it is going well. The reason I chose EIW was that it is often called the "MUS" of writing. Which my son has done well with as well and my kids are in elementary. What I like is that the dvd pretty much does the explaining- sometimes I still need to guide certain lessons but not a lot. Each concept is taught on the dvd and then the child completes a worksheet. I am finally seeing my son making a breakthough in his writing- he's 10- but he is making some nice progress. Also, the dvd portion is often short for each lesson and is to the point.

And there is grammar in the lower levels- about the first half. But about 2/3 through the grammar we went to the first writing activity and then after that went back to finishing the grammar portion, which seemed to work well too. I know there had been complaints about mistakes found- typo's, etc., I have not found too many and I know the author is getting that worked on so this spring most of that should be worked out! :D

Essentials in Writing is a wonderful program we have used for 5 & 6. Solid grammar and writing with an ability for the student to be relatively independent.

I have not used IEW the price and the amount of teacher time did not seem like something we could accommodate.

Jenn

Thanks for the input. IEW will be at our state homeschool convention in June, so I figure I should go talk to them and look at it before deciding between the two. I'm happy to pay for IEW IF it is THAT much better than EIW. But if they are fairly comprable, why spend the extra money? (I'm also emailing EIW to see if they'd consider our convention).

We use and love IEW. I've always felt fairly confident about teaching writing but the TWSS course made me feel like a writing teacher. We are very flexible here and use lots of resources, but if I was forced to limit, I would choose the IEW/MCTLA combo, no question. (But I would still teach them diagramming on the side of that. :tongue_smilie:)

Also, I found TWSS used for $80. Considering it will be relevant for years to come, I think that is quite a bargain. You don't have to buy all the add-ons for IEW. You can just buy TWSS and write across the curriculum. I love(d) that with WWE and I'm loving it with TWSS as well.

When I look at the early years of EIW it seems its mostly grammar, until the last 5-6 lessons. Not sure that is what I want for a writing program. How does IEW do grammar?

Very informally, through writing. We use a separate grammar program...or two. :tongue_smilie: I like grammar. I incorporate our grammar program into our writing workshop (in which I combine many things, the foundational element being IEW). I don't know. I like the freeness of IEW, the ability to change it up, switch subject matter. The EIW seems so workbooky by comparison and I really don't see how it's cheaper if you're paying $40 year after year after year. I mean, yes, the initial outlay is less, but overall IEW TWSS is the frugal option. :D