Menu

Can Penicillin make you itchy? Is this the start of an allergy?

I was put on penicillin for strep throat last week. I started taking them last Tuesday night. In the last day or so, I've realized I'm a little itchy. It started in the bends of my elbows, and then also the backs of my knees. There is no rash or anything, which I think is why I really didn't notice it at first. But then I realized I'd been itching for awhile.

I haven't been outside, or doing anything different or changed anything soap wise or anything. So all I can think of is the penicillian.

Anyone heard of this?

Penicillin is one of the most common allergies to medications.

Med allergies typically appear in the first few doses but can appear anytime. Sometimes it seems like it needs to build up in someones system for it to really start to cause symptoms that the pt will notice.

I would stop the medicine and take a Benadryl. You can call the doc tomorrow (or talk to your pharmacist if your do isn't open tomorrow) and get their opinion.

Good Luck

I hope you feel well soon.

tap

I have had antibiotic allergies and each time I got itchy. Itchiness is a very common symptom of an allergic reaction as is turning red either all over or just in patches. I agree with taking the benadryl (this is what they gave me in the hospital when I had a reaction to an antibiotic) but I would call the doctor right away, even if he is off duty and you have to page him.

That is how my dd's allergic reactions always start. It takes her several doses to start itching. Then she will come down with a rash. The doctors call her's a delayed reaction.

I second stopping the medication until you talk to your doctor. Benadryl will help you with the itching. Good luck! I hope you feel better soon!

Thanks everyone.

I'm still itchy. Actually I'm more itchy now, but part of it may be because I'm actually aware and thinking about it now.

I took the last penicillian pill yesterday (Saturday) morning, so it's been 24 hours since I had one. I've had two doses of benadryl, but I'm still itchy. I have to call the doctor tomorrow anyway and get a new antibiotic so I can finish out that course. Hopefully she can give me something for the itching if I'm still itchy.

Glad you plan to call the doctor. I'm allergic to penicillin too, but my itchiness was a little more standard, with hives popping out all over my body shortly after my first dose (though I think I had had it once before for a previous illness). Yours is a less usual presentation, so I don't know, but I certainly think they *could* be related. As others have said, Penicillin allergies are extremely common.

I was put on penicillin for strep throat last week. I started taking them last Tuesday night. In the last day or so, I've realized I'm a little itchy. It started in the bends of my elbows, and then also the backs of my knees. There is no rash or anything, which I think is why I really didn't notice it at first. But then I realized I'd been itching for awhile.

I haven't been outside, or doing anything different or changed anything soap wise or anything. So all I can think of is the penicillian.

Anyone heard of this?

My husband is allergic to Penicillin, and that's how his starts.

My daughter had a reaction to penicillin that started with itching and hives after she had nearly finished the medication. The doctor said that often happens with the first reaction, after you've been on it for several days. The next time, the reaction will be sooner. Call your doctor and I would stop taking the medicine.